Here we go again!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Last week I spotted a planning notice on a lamp post near where we are parked. We park opposite some empty waste ground. Well this morning workmen were cutting the lock off the gate, as they said they had lost the key. There's going to be another warehouse built on the land.
    The last but one time we moved, it was because the car park we parked next to was sold and built on.
    Bugger.

• No immediate panic I'd have thought, it takes months sometimes years to get planning permission for something, you've plenty of time to sort out an alternative location. Of course, if you're feeling mischievous, there's nothing to stop you putting in a planning objection yourself! Wasn't that a rare slug you spotted there the other day? And you feel sure there's old Roman remains there!

• A few years back I intended to live in my bus and started researching places to stay. It was then I discovered that if the vehicle has a tax disc, you can park it anywhere you like for as long as you like. Looking around, I realised that there were very few places I did like! That's not why I didn't do it, but that's another story

I have my doubts about roadside living. I'm told that years ago, a certain local council had a road worker who lived in an iron-wheeled crew van, eventually married and shared it with his wife, retired and the council quietly forgot about the van, he had been a good worker and popular. Wife outlived him and turned back to gypsy crafts to keep herself in the van after he died. The van was the council's property but it was their permanent home for decades, in work and in retirement, and for many years it did not turn a wheel. The place no longer exists, the road has been widened. Laybys have become a scarce commodity. Hippy travellers are talking about land ownership. Writing's on the wall. It's all to do with population pressure I think.

• The planning was posted back in April, before I had walked down the road, let alone parked there.
    There's been a digger in there doing a little bit of prep. I can't see anything big happening before the new year though.
    Bryn I have heard about the tax disc thing, but wouldn't like to put it to the test. Baliffs have a habit of making it up as they go along. Also, I doubt the road tax counts for anything on private land.

• Where are folk like us supposed to live? A very nice housing officer in Cambridge told me, that as a single bloke of a certain age I had absolutely no chance at all of getting somewhere to live, the best they could do is give me a map of ditches I could go to die in. He wasn't being nasty, just telling me the truth. So I now live in an old van to prevent homelessness, yet us van-dwellers aren't wanted anywhere, we can't even live on our bit of land. Hell of a situation isn't it?

It was then I discovered that if the vehicle has a tax disc, you can park it anywhere you like for as long as you like.

If the vehicle is road legal you can park it on any unrestricted road as long as it's not causing an obstruction but if it's over 30 cwt you need parking lights at night even in a 30.
    http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/roads.htm is worth a squiz as well.:beard:

• used to do a bit of work for a fridge taxi company ( 7.5T)... used to park the trucks up at night in a residential street.. and was told by the owner ' DO NOT FORGET TO LEAVE THE PARKING LIGHTS ON THE TRUCKS OVERNIGHT !!! ' as been lots of complaints .. and this will keep us legal !!:S....

• I don't know what configuration is required on the large vehicles but cars used to have the little clip on window light in the 60s/ 70s before the days of built in parking lights. As you say LEDs are the way to go nowadays.

• As long as you park smart you can park anywhere but my rule of thumb is don't try to be permanent. People don't notice a van for one night, just someone visiting.

When it get to be "that f**king van is back again" that's when you start getting hassled

Went to see Rod Stewart at the O2 in London last night. Had a few drinks with friends in a bar nearby after the show. Woke up this morning with a beautiful sunrise over the Thames and was gone before the parking kicked in at 8am. Traffic this morning was crap because there was a train strike but bought some food at a Tesco express and had a fry up and a brew somewhere quiet near the Bow Flyover. I tell you life doesn't get much better than that. Mellow? I'm so laid back I have to stick a broom up my arse to stop myself falling over

• As long as you park smart you can park anywhere but my rule of thumb is don't try to be permanent. People don't notice a van for one night, just someone visiting.

When it get to be "that f**king van is back again" that's when you start getting hassled

Went to see Rod Stewart at the O2 in London last night. Had a few drinks with friends in a bar nearby after the show. Woke up this morning with a beautiful sunrise over the Thames and was gone before the parking kicked in at 8am. Traffic this morning was crap because there was a train strike but bought some food at a Tesco express and had a fry up and a brew somewhere quiet near the Bow Flyover. I tell you life doesn't get much better than that. Mellow? I'm so laid back I have to stick a broom up my arse to stop myself falling over

Now that is the life, apart from the broom up you harris :D

• I don't worry about parking up, just be respectful and have a good list of places to stay overnight, no one is telling me I can't live in my van.