Cold mornings inside van temperature

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Okay so I insulated my van with spaceship bubble wrap. I'm thinking I need to add to it and get rid of the "moisture barrier" set up.

My van was 0° inside this morning. I even had ice on an area of my roof I allow condesation particles to meet up and party.

Do your vans get as cold inside?

Other parts of my roof are double layer bubble wrap stuff with an air gap what I've tried to seal in sections like moisture barrier.

I'm sure I could hear it raining in there as its not a sealed moisture barrier.

I'm wondering if I should redow this using recycled platic insulation and not have it moisture barriered so hot air can get in to dry everything out.

I know I'll get condensation and I accept the fact. Just thinking of improvements.

• Assuming you are sleeping in the van.

You need to balance air changes and insulation to prevent condensation, which will encourage mould growth. You could get very ill from mould!

Yes I'm sleeping in my van. Just trying to think of the best way to avoid mould. My set up makes it easy to inspect and renew to avoid mould. Simply cut away the insulation and replace if theres mould.

I dont want to be trapping away moisture as it is I can dry it out quickly with a drive in a morning.

• You can get self adhesive (peel off backing) vehicle insulation on ebay which should stop.condensation forming in the gap.Theres also some 9 layer foil insulation thats very good from same place..Insulating your sides with thick layer of kingspan or wool boxed in with ply would help.Same with floor.The 'rain' may have been the foil contracting due to the cold.
    Some thick.pile carpet everywhere will help.
    You might want to get one of these if youre just too cold to sleep http://www.snugpak.com/militar…eeping-bags/antarctica-re you can sometimes find them chesper on ebay.Theyre very good ive got one but its only for emergency use.

• You can get self adhesive (peel off backing) vehicle insulation on ebay which should stop.condensation forming in the gap.Theres also some 9 layer foil insulation thats very good from same place..Insulating your sides with thick layer of kingspan or wool boxed in with ply would help.Same with floor.The 'rain' may have been the foil contracting due to the cold.
    Some thick.pile carpet everywhere will help.
    You might want to get one of these if youre just too cold to sleep http://www.snugpak.com/militar…eeping-bags/antarctica-re you can sometimes find them chesper on ebay.Theyre very good ive got one but its only for emergency use.

Cheers NomadicRT

I had thought maybe it was noise from the spaceship bubble wrap stuff after I posted. I might cut in and have a look in a week and see if theres water build up.

I'm not to cold to sleep though so thats the main. I'm using a 2.5cm memory foam topper on my sofa bed. With a kingsize 15tog duvet I get burried in. I have a sleeping bag close to hand as well.

I'm guessing 0°c is normal without heating or a burner of some sort.

• Might be normal but its not much wsrmer than outside (-2 ) If theres virtually no differrnce in temp your not going to get much condensation apart from what moisture you add.Carpet is very good cheap insulation though.Many of us hsve used it in benders...the web backed is best.the foam backed stuff encourages damp.
    Packs of silica gel are cheap and help keep down moisture in poor circulation areas.
    Apart from fitting a eberspacher,propex heater or wood stove or stopping on a site where theres a hookup for running an electric oil filled radiator its not going to be pleasnt. :(
    Thinsulate thermal clothing and pocket handwarmers that use fuel sticks are some relief.

Insulation is the best approach if heating is not affordable.this is what you should try, ebay item 181590779568 (there are others its just an eg )

• If you are unheated and warm in bed go for maximum ventilation . Best way to combat condensation and moisture build up.

I was thinking that may be an option. I'm considering running two fans from my vents. One pulling air in and one pushing air out.

• The colder weather certainly determines whether us and/or our vehicles are suited to this nomadic life. A few summer festivals are no indicator. Toby.

2 years living in an industrial unit sorted that. Condensation happened in there but it was a bigger space which I'd put internal guttering and a collection bucket.

Maybe I'll do my first festival next year 😉

• If you have space for a heater or small log burner,maybe someone on here may have an old one that will help you out until you can afford one !!

I for one would be happy to send you a few quid towards a non expensive one,and maybe if a few of us could do the same then we could help turn your van into a happy home !

Do not be too proud to accept help and spend your winter in damp and cold conditions.

If you are too proud,I respect that too as I am obsessivly independant as well as being bad at spelling :whistle:

• Thank you for your offer of kindness. Maybe I am a little bit too proud but to be honest although it was cold outside my bed this morning I honesty am okay with it.

Plus my van is a short wheelbase transit and when my bed is out I am to concerned about the space for a heater.

I am planning to hook up once per week with an electric heater to warm and dry the van through. I still have access to my previous "home" and I can visit family to plug in as well.

I dare say there are plenty others less comfortable than me. Thank you again 😊

• I have a new leisure battery coming tomorrow so my plan is to run a small fan out of the vent to move a bit of air. Until now my old car battery was good for running my lights or charging my phone. Not both or anything more.

• Julian are you out there with any idea's ????????????????????????

I ask Julian for his thoughts as he really is the crackpot inventor extrordinaire and will no doubt have a heating option for a small van.

I woke up at about seven this morning to a toasty van having gone to bed about 11 last night and this is due to Julians brilliance :thumbup:

For the moment,maybe a good idea to roll out some carpet or place some cardboard on the floor under the van to reduce the levels of cold coming into the van from the cold floor. xx

• I was thinking that may be an option. I'm considering running two fans from my vents. One pulling air in and one pushing air out.

Computer fans are very low power consumption and ultra quiet.Theyll.shift enough air to keep condensation down.Ive got a couple of micro fans pulling air through my bunks and wardrobe otherwise i get the dreaded mildew.

• I'm thinking of maybe trying to come up with a way of making a sawdust burner. Something vented through the floor and roof.

I read about using compact bricks of sawdust with a hole in the middle. The idea is you light it from the hole and it burns outwards.

I figured something like this could be made small with a ready supply of fuel I have.

I have a big piece of box section but flue pipes need to be round dont they.

• Computer fans are very low power consumption and ultra quiet.Theyll.shift enough air to keep condensation down.Ive got a couple of micro fans pulling air through my bunks and wardrobe otherwise i get the dreaded mildew.

I have 2 PC fans I bought when I was going to make a food dehydrater. They're pretty big as well so these will be getting fitted this week.

• Square flue is fine I think. Definitely computer fans though, to get the air from the outside, inside and to push that lovely heat you're making back down to floor level again.

• Square flue is fine I think. Definitely computer fans though, to get the air from the outside, inside and to push that lovely heat you're making back down to floor level again.

Yeah I've read about square flues. They are made so I will have a look.

Old brick chimneys where square anyway wasnt they.

I have a lot of wide diameter box section so I'm thinking of putting something together. Basic but free heat.

Just concerned about insurance side of things thats all.