Help with unfair dismissal from work

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi guys, I don't want to post any details here about this. I just wondered if anyone had any experience or advice on this matter, or could recommend someone (a lawyer?!) who could help me out. My situation is complicated and involves discrimination.

Please PM me if you think you can help - thanks!

• If it's a gender issue there's LGBT for advice and support. My mate had problems with her bank after an employee took the rise / got awkward over her change when she wanted to alter her account from Mr to Ms. The local help group advised her quite well and I believe they had dedicated soliciters. The banks head office was falling over themselves to put the matter right when they were mentioned.

• I had problens years ago and contacted ACAS they really helped but not sure how things are with cut backs etc with what they can offer

Thanks. I have spoken to ACAS a number of times already, plus some other related helplines.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's a gender issue there's LGBT for advice and support. My mate had problems with her bank after an employee took the rise / got awkward over her change when she wanted to alter her account from Mr to Ms. The local help group advised her quite well and I believe they had dedicated soliciters. The banks head office was falling over themselves to put the matter right when they were mentioned.

Hi... it's not an LGBT issue, but thank you for the advice anyway :)

• Starling, do you live at home? Or have parents who have house insurance?
    Do you have motor insurance ?
    Some of these insurance policies we take out often include FREE legal cover. Everything is worth looking into at times. I don't know of any other ports of call. Student union from the last uni/college you frequented may have contacts.
    Did you like your job? I know you put yourself out finding work and uprooting for the right post.

• Ditto the above.

Quick search finds cab offering online advice on how to initiate an employment tribunal.......Cab are probably the people to speak to/read......do read.....you may not be at tribunal stage and if unfairly dismissed do not communicate further with the employer until you have, quickly, genned up. That's all I know.

• Starling, do you live at home? Or have parents who have house insurance?
    Do you have motor insurance ?
    Some of these insurance policies we take out often include FREE legal cover. Everything is worth looking into at times. I don't know of any other ports of call. Student union from the last uni/college you frequented may have contacts.
    Did you like your job? I know you put yourself out finding work and uprooting for the right post.

I have motor insurance with AXA. That's all really. I'll look into it - thank you for the suggestion. It's a difficult situation to explain really and I'd rather not say too much on here. I just started the job in August, so I haven't been there long.

• Ok, I might as well just tell you guys that I am currently pregnant and in my probation period! So, my circumstances mean that I can claim unfair dismissal, despite the short time that I've worked there. The problem comes with the probation period.

• Ok, I might as well just tell you guys that I am currently pregnant and in my probation period! So, my circumstances mean that I can claim unfair dismissal, despite the short time that I've worked there. The problem comes with the probation period.

No advice but congratulations :)

• Aww congratulations Starling, and yeah you're right they can't just sack you because you are pregnant, I suppose they could say at the end of the probationary period that you weren't suitable though.

• Awww congratulations!Re the unfair dismissal,are you in a union?Even if you're not,seek advise from someone at your place of work who is.I'd also,as already suggested try CAB.

• I think the probationary period is going to be your stumbling block, however are there other people also on one? If there are then if you can prove you did better than them but they get kept on then youve got a good case. Have you got any email records etc which may be evidence of discrimination?

As already advised a solicitor may be your best bet, even if its just the first hour of free advice to tell you your options. I would say dont try the cab or acos - their first step will be dialogue with your ex employer which will warn them what you are up to, and give them time to prepare (even fabricate) a case against you.

If the solicitor says you dont have a case, consider the paper - the threat of it might at least get you a payoff from the company.

Oh, by the way - Congratulations on your good news!

• I would say dont try the cab or acos - their first step will be dialogue with your ex employer which will warn them what you are up to, and give them time to prepare (even fabricate) a case against you.

Eh? They could do that? I thought it was confidential? I haven't mentioned the name of my company to them.

• I didnt mean that they will contact them - they will advise you to talk to them which will be the first step they advise. You dont really want them to know that you are considering raising a case as it will give them time to prepare.

Did you have any preformance reviews as part of your trial, if you have copies and they are good it would strengthen your case as you could point out that the trial was going well right up until you told them you were pregnant.

Did anyone raise any issues with poor performance beforehand, again - if the trial was not going well you would have expected to have had that raised with you.

Any letters, emails etc that you can out together may help your case.

If you have an android phone install automatic call recorder from the play store, and ring your employer asking them to explain their decision. Bring up anything you need clarifying so that you have it on record.

• Why would you inform an employer of any life changing circumstance during the probationary period......some deviant employers ask for a contract signing from day one.

Again in contrast to advice offered elsewhere speak to cab and not your employer. ......if they have paid you out for any expected notice period and have abided by the minimal rules involved during the probationary period you may have no recourse.

Please update us on how it goes......and especially on what contract you were under......but whatever you do/don't do.....bite your lip and do not communicate with them until you have face to faced with a cab advisor.

You will be claiming 'wrongful dismissal' if in probationary period. There is loads of guidance online.....which you will find....were you given performance reviews during your probationary period? Were any issues raised? It does appear that any issues should be raised and both yourself and employer should sign a document stating the issues and giving time for you to address them.......is this law...I don't know but cab should and only you know the complicated circumstances of your dismissal.......read and read and read some more.

Wish you luck.

• I worked with a fella who got caught doing a bit of private in company time,he got sacked.He went to CAB who put him in touch with trainee barristers who like to develop their skills.Our manager at the time was crowing on about our company having the best legal team.Turns out the best legal team got fucked by a 25 year trainee.Fair play to our manager he did acknowledge how clever the young kid was with words.

• I've read over the posts so forgive me if I missed this. But just to get a better picture - what grounds did the boss give you for dismissing you? Had you received any previous warnings or indications that they were unhappy with your work? Have you made them aware you are pregnant? If so, did the dismissal come before or after you did so?

• I am sorry this has happened - maybe by now you have some help nearby - I sure hope so.

You have maybe accessed this before the ACAS site http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4240 it does specifically mention dismisal during probation and discrimination.

If nothing else is a help then maybe one source could be a local job centre, although I think now new claims are web or tele based.

You will have to state why your last employment ended and they may at least be able to direct you to some local source of help.
    It maybe you do wish to claim or feel you would not get help, but some help with you action maybe open to you with a pending claim for benefits.

also https://scottishunemployedworkers.net/about-us/ might be worth a call or email although they are based in around Central scotland I did get some help from them about benefits.

Hope things go well I know how discrimination feels.

Mac

[FONT=&quot]“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.” – [/FONT]

• To my knowledge you don't have to tell your employer you are pregnant when you apply for your job. Look up the conditions you have to satisfy in your probation period to make sure who is at fault. As the others say, call CAB. Most solicitors can give a bit of free advice over the phone, too. Heaps of luck!

• One of the local shops was looking for staff .A pregnant woman applied,but got refused due to her pregnancy.She took the shop owner to court and won such a large payout that it caused the shop to close due clearing the bloke out financially.