How do you cope with the cold?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Interesting thread my van is very dry and fairly warm with hook up , hard going without but this winter I'm in a freezer called a static caravan might as well sleep under a bridge too old for living in a freezer brrr (and that's with a wood burner )

• Well I've ditched the cartridge gas heater. Butane is a pain in the back side.

Using a single ring on my gas cooker (yes I know) warms the place up in about 15mins. It takes an hour or two until I need to do it again but usually by then I'm up and out or tucked up in bed with the cooker off. I'll only used my hurricane lamp through the night which keeps the chill off.

• Well I've ditched the cartridge gas heater. Butane is a pain in the back side.

Using a single ring on my gas cooker (yes I know) warms the place up in about 15mins. It takes an hour or two until I need to do it again but usually by then I'm up and out or tucked up in bed with the cooker off. I'll only used my hurricane lamp through the night which keeps the chill off.

You can buy a small cylindrical metal heater that sits on top of your camping stove. It heats up the metal and is a far better way to burn gas. They cost between £6 & £12 if you can't find one. I have a brand new spare I may be willing to sell and post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angel…g-Everflame/dp/B00VZ3OYLM

camping gas stove heater attachment

• You can buy a small cylindrical metal heater that sits on top of your camping stove. It heats up the metal and is a far better way to burn gas. They cost between £6 & £12 if you can't find one. I have a brand new spare I may be willing to sell and post.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Angel…g-Everflame/dp/B00VZ3OYLM

camping gas stove heater attachment

From the look of it, you could punch holes in a large BB can and do the same thing, it's just using some of the hot gas to heat the tin, which itself radiates heat.

• Im Sure I Still Have One Of These In My Loft ....My Eldest Son Brought It But Only Wore It Once For Night Fishing And Never Wore It Anymore As He Said He Was Wayyyy Too Hot hahaha Yep....

Soooo I Will Check Loft Tomoz To See If It Still There As It Was Still In The Lazy Patch String Tie Bag ....
    And If It Is ....IF ANYBODY WANTS IT YOU ARE WELCOME TO IT ....MEDIUM SIZE IT IS ...

I Would Gladly Post It To Where Anybody Wanted It Sent Too Free Of Charge For You ...And If It Keeps Anybody Warmer Well That Makes Me Happy :))

But As I Said Dont Know 100% If Still There But If It Is Just Let Me Know As You Would Be Very Much Welcome To It
    And Will Let You Know Tomoz When I Be Look For It .

• If it would fit me I would be interested. I'm slim build. 5'9" if I include the bent back. 11 stone wet through. I would willingly trade you for something camping you may need or pay postage. I could sleep where I stand in one of those.

• From the look of it, you could punch holes in a large BB can and do the same thing, it's just using some of the hot gas to heat the tin, which itself radiates heat.

Do you think its working off the same principle as the plant pot over the candles thing mentioned before?

I'll have a browse when I get proper internet at work.

• Do you think its working off the same principle as the plant pot over the candles thing mentioned before?

yes, though the plant pot also trapped some of the greasy blackness of the smoke so I didn't have to breath it.

Nowadays I wouldn't use any method of heating that put the products of combustion into the air I breathe.

• yes, though the plant pot also trapped some of the greasy blackness of the smoke so I didn't have to breath it.

Nowadays I wouldn't use any method of heating that put the products of combustion into the air I breathe.

Yeah its not ideal not having a flue for the gasses. I have an extraction fan just above the cooker area which helps.

I guess it doesnt stay warm as long with ventilation but once I get on top financially I can maybe rethink how I live.

Get a bigger van and have a proper burner 😊

• Nick, cant you build a small burner? Ive got a length of 2 inch stainless tube i grabbed a while ago that would do you for a flue. Maybe some 4x4 or 5x5 box section or a small gas bottle?
    Ive also got a blue 7kg gas bottle if you wanted to cut that up to make one.

• Nick, cant you build a small burner? Ive got a length of 2 inch stainless tube i grabbed a while ago that would do you for a flue. Maybe some 4x4 or 5x5 box section or a small gas bottle?
    Ive also got a blue 7kg gas bottle if you wanted to cut that up to make one.

To be honest I had written the idea off but I am thinking of taking my bed out and moving it further to the back doors so I can free up some space behind the passenger seat. It should then give me a safe area for a burner.

At the minute I have my bed forward with a daft bit of foot space near the side door and the rear door. If I move my bed it'll be one bigger area.

Can you hold on to it. No doubt this weekends cold snap might give me a kick up the arse 😂

• Talk of minus 7 to Minus 9 here in the massif central for the next few days,so stopped off in a forest yesterday and cut up a few dead sweet chestnut tree's. I shall keep the fire burning through the night until it warms up,and shall be cosy to the max !!

I wouldnt swap this way of life for all the E in china !!!!!

• I hope everyone is keeping warm, it is very cold here in the Lakes, my fire is chugging away to the delight of the other campers :whistle:

• Well its a nice toasty 0° in the van. Give it 10 mins to warm up before I get out of bed.

The thing I love most about vanlife. I'm 2 mins round the corner from work instead of 30 min drive I used to have. Its worth it just do I dont have to be up at 4:30am 😊

• Last Sunday my back went early afternoon. I ended up in bed until Tuesday. My stove went out Sunday evening because I was in too much pain to even get off the bed to mend the fire. It was 9pm Monday before I could get to make a cup of tea. All Tuesday much the same. Although I did get to make several hot drinks. I was back on my feet Wednesday. Sometimes you just got to bug out and remember, Spring will arrive soon enough.