How do you cope with the cold?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• checked my truck today for any sign of damp or condensation, touch of condensation on one window where i never shut the curtain properly and no damp, insulation and ventilation is the key and i swear by sheeps wool for insulation cos it breathes unlike kingspan which traps any moisture in

• I have a combined temperature / humidity sensor in Nora... Last night I lit the burner and got it up to 26 degrees, and the humidity dropped off the scale, less than 20% I think.... Keeping a free flow of air to get rid of the moisture you breathe out makes a huge difference.

I've just put my temp/humidity thermometer in my van last night.

Woke up to 10°c but 10 mins with my little butane heater its 18°c but 98% humidity boiling my mocha pot for a morning coffee.

Be interesting to see what difference a 30 min drive to work is.

• I have a combined temperature / humidity sensor in Nora... Last night I lit the burner and got it up to 26 degrees, and the humidity dropped off the scale, less than 20% I think.... Keeping a free flow of air to get rid of the moisture you breathe out makes a huge difference.

TThats relative humidity though. You can have for example (figures not accurate, just for clarification) a pint of water in the air in your van at 10 degrees and it might be 90% humidity, warm the van up to 25 degrees and it might drop to 20% but the same amount of water is still there in the air. Of course a burner creates air flow which will drag moist air out and is dry heat, ventilation is the key - just dont take figures from moisture meters as entirely accurate.

• TThats relative humidity though. You can have for example (figures not accurate, just for clarification) a pint of water in the air in your van at 10 degrees and it might be 90% humidity, warm the van up to 25 degrees and it might drop to 20% but the same amount of water is still there in the air. Of course a burner creates air flow which will drag moist air out and is dry heat, ventilation is the key - just dont take figures from moisture meters as entirely accurate.

I havent bought it specially. I already had it kicking about but it is interesting to see how fast things can change.

I'm not having to much of a problem with condensation at the minute. Nothing unmanageable anyway

• What van do you have, I have a swb Fiat Ducato and I have a woodburner in mine

• What van do you have, I have a swb Fiat Ducato and I have a woodburner in mine

I have a SWB transit. Its more to do with how I set it up. I might try fit something in but its not at the top of my priorities.

Have you got a picture of your burner and where you have it located?

• the trick is in layers not thickness,lightweight quilt and a faux fur blanket and for working outside a silk undersuit that I got for dry suit diving,plus my truck has 4 layers of wood and insulation between me and the outside world, oh and a woodburner

Same as you WG,2 layers of insulation and 2 layers of wood,plus a woodburner = sat in my t-shirt most of the time:)

• I have a SWB transit. Its more to do with how I set it up. I might try fit something in but its not at the top of my priorities.

Have you got a picture of your burner and where you have it located?

Will do brb :)

• Yeah thats great. I had considered putting something there. Just a bit worried about the close proximity to my sofa bed when its folded out.

I'll have a think. It would be a treat and half though.

How do you deal with insurers having a burner?

• Yeah thats great. I had considered putting something there. Just a bit worried about the close proximity to my sofa bed when its folded out.

I'll have a think. It would be a treat and half though.

How do you deal with insurers having a burner?

They never asked so never told them, I have had my insurance with the same company for 11 years and have never made a claim, so I don't worry about it.

• You should notify them (unless it came installed with the vehicle) Not many of us do inform the insurance company tho.

I had a insurance claims inspector come out to site, when my double decker bus burnt down.
    I was a tad worried. Downstairs there was a brand new cast iron full size army field cooker, not even installed at the time.
    Hanging from the upstairs twisted roof metal supports was my little woodburner. Suspended (dangling) by its twisted stovepipe, complete with witches hat.
    It was unmistakably 'not a part of the DD bud chassis' & resembled a cartoon from little house on the prairie.

Lookily for me, the bus was insured for business use and accommodation.

Like anything with insurance. If your stove was found to be the cause of ithe vehicles downfall and resulting insurance claim. The insurance company would be questioning the stove makers certification. The installers qualifications, any personal negligence, etc, before hopefully paying out on any claim.

If I was investing upwards of 5k in a DIY camper build. I would be notifying my insurance company that I have a stove installed.

• What if your build is a £300 transit and totalling around £1200 😊

Not something I can afford now but definitely something to consider.

• And then what happens is they won't insure you.

Fair comment. Currently my van is a van whilst I complete the conversion.

As much as I'd like a burner I'm going to make do as I am.

As nice as it would be I still think my vans a tad small how I have it laid out with my sofa bed.

• A good thick down sleeping bag and wide range of hobbies and friends. I try and always do something after work, the gym, seeing friends, playing sport etc. That way I am not hanging about in the van and as soon as I am in the van at night I am into my sleeping bag and off to sleep.

• A few things i find work for me..YMMV

Fagin gloves..MINT! fingerless wool gloves, best thing ever

A Hat, get a beanie, Thinsulate ones r good..ya love a shedload of heat out ya bonce.

Wool socks.....NOTHING ELSE IS WARM....even when wet, wool soxcks are better than nothing, when dry, best toasty toes ever..

Get a Dog and a BIG sleeping bag.....

• Slippers! Even through two layers of carpet tiles, and thick lino, I can still feel the cold coming through the floor.

Agree that it's hard to warm up the floor. A few times, I've been sitting on the floor staring at Steve [stove], stood up and felt disorientated by the sudden change of temperature.

Agree with keeping clothes under the duvet and wearing base layers, the shock of putting on cold clothing is not one to be repeated often. I also lift up the duvet a bit before bed to warm up the cotton. Oh speaking of, don't use a cotton mattress sheet, use a blanket or a fleece.

• Well I have the cold bed problem sorted for christmas. I'm being gifted a 12v car blanket. Hoping just 10-20mins will warm my bed through.

Or its going to be a piece of rubbish. We'll see in 3 weeks