Meeting people

• Hello everyone

I hope you're all having a great evening! :D

Apologies if this topic has been posted previously, but I have a general wonderment about meeting people. The world of online dating has changed a lot in the past few years thanks to Tinder etc etc and it doesn't really resonate with me anymore. There's a real sense of "the grass is always greener" when meeting people that way. Connections are hard to make through dating apps, but despite living in London, I also struggle to meet people face-to-face. Maybe I ought to move out of the City!

How do you all meet people? Do you have any ideas that I haven't thought of? I have a few hobbies such as dancing and yoga but within the dancing world, the ratio of men to women is about 1:10 so you can imagine what that's like! I'm running out of ideas and am thinking that maybe I need to make a drastic life change if I'm to meet someone.

Thanks for reading my ramblings :)

<3

• Post by GivingItThought ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • the standard dating sites I hear about wouldnt really work for me, the ones for straight people, by that I mean non alternative / traveller oriented would be go down like a lead balloon, I generally dont like pubs as in the standard fare for dating, going for a date, sounds funny now in the mainstream sense, I know what I mean, I'm more organic in the way my life runs and how and what happens, the good old universe shifts the type of folk about that I gel with best who are following their life path, the idea of portraying myself on an on line dating site makes me shudderr in a way, wouldnt be scared but the ones I have seen, I have so little in common with my outlook and take on life with those that are on them, I dont think there is a dedicated place for the type of person /Iwould look for if joined one. bearing in mind there is different sectors of alternative which denotes the path folk take on their life journey, reasonably compatible life journeys helps,

dating apps kind of makes it feel i would be shopping for human / s, I do feel if your just not finding that someone in the circles and where you live, then a change and or a move could well be a freshener, its no good being stale and looking in one place/area, chances are you'll not find what your looking for,

• the ones I have seen, I have so little in common with my outlook and take on life with those that are on them, I dont think there is a dedicated place for the type of person /Iwould look for if joined one.

dating apps kind of makes it feel i would be shopping for human / s,

Exactly how I feel.
    Can't find "my kind of people" on Tinder and places like it, and it very much makes me feel like choosing something from a shelf. :rolleyes:

• Meeting people is hard these days, there is no doubt about that, I don't know what the answer is really. You don't give any idea how old you are because that would have a bearing.
    My experience as a divorced man of 62 is there are lots of really lovely ladies in the same situation as you

people talk about tinder, OMG! tinder is a casual sex hookup type of website. You are just going to get hit on by idiots.

Is there not a website for vegetarians, for example? There is a website called datingforhippies

• Depending what you're interested in,have you tried say a local enviromental group?Wildlife trust?Walking group?Music group?Think about what you're interested in and either google groups or connect with groups via Facebook.

• Depending what you're interested in,have you tried say a local enviromental group?Wildlife trust?Walking group?Music group?Think about what you're interested in and either google groups or connect with groups via Facebook.

There aren't tons of male knitters... at least not around here. :D

Rally is better, but I rarely have time to go chat with new people since I'm in the car, competing, and between the stages we have a snack/drink, fix things on the car etc. I love the "rally world" but most men there aren't very "alternative" people. :)

Those are my main interests... and of course, being outdoors. But in the forest there's mostly me and my dog and...trees. :D

I get your point, though, I do.
    Maybe some geocaching events? Hm.

• Meeting people is hard these days, there is no doubt about that, I don't know what the answer is really. You don't give any idea how old you are because that would have a bearing.
    My experience as a divorced man of 62 is there are lots of really lovely ladies in the same situation as you

people talk about tinder, OMG! tinder is a casual sex hookup type of website. You are just going to get hit on by idiots.

Is there not a website for vegetarians, for example? There is a website called datingforhippies

I'll be 46 this spring.

Yeah. I went on Tinder to check it out. Stayed for a whole two hours before nearly throwing my phone in the river. OMG. Noooo thank you.

I'd like to meet someone who doesn't look at me funny when I talk about living in a tiny house or a van, working towards self-sufficiency and things like that. :) People like that are hard to find, and single ones even harder.

• Meet people? ......how quaintly old fashioned of you.....lovely idea but what with life being so all consuming and 'people' being online 'beings' meeting 'people' is an often catastrophic luxury.

If you are close to retirement there are loads of clubs you can join (like youth clubs used to be but obviously for retirees).....if not then there usually isnt much available.

Peace. X

• Rally is better, but I rarely have time to go chat with new people since I'm in the car, competing, and between the stages we have a snack/drink, fix things on the car etc. I love the "rally world" but most men there aren't very "alternative" people. :)

Me and my ex once rallied our two horses and drays (like chariot racing) through the forest. Very exciting, untill we locked drays together at full trot. You should take time to gallop through a forest bare back on a horse.
    Me and a mate were nearly killed during the Lambard RAC rally around 1978? we were chasing the Rally to view points in Sherwood Forest on a old Honda CB185. We hit a sandy path which slowed us down. Just as a Porsche Rally car hit the front wheel of motorbike. How they manage to get away with health and safety and public viewing at these rallies I have no idea. Brilliant spectator sport though.

• I'll be 46 this spring.

Yeah. I went on Tinder to check it out. Stayed for a whole two hours before nearly throwing my phone in the river. OMG. Noooo thank you.

I'd like to meet someone who doesn't look at me funny when I talk about living in a tiny house or a van, working towards self-sufficiency and things like that. :) People like that are hard to find, and single ones even harder.

Yes and thats why I suggested linking up that way with like minded people?Example.....our town holds regular sustainable living meetings at one of the pubs,we live near a stone circle,so especially on solstices,lots of alternative people around,we have mini festivals in summer,which attracts a fair amount of alternative type folk.Ok so you're into rally driving,but you need to get out there and research whats available where you live.Facebook is a good place to start looking for local groups.Good luck

• Meet people? ......how quaintly old fashioned of you.....lovely idea but what with life being so all consuming and 'people' being online 'beings' meeting 'people' is an often catastrophic luxury.

If you are close to retirement there are loads of clubs you can join (like youth clubs used to be but obviously for retirees).....if not then there usually isnt much available.

Peace. X

Old fashioned, yes, maybe. Haha. :)

Swedes *are* generally hard to get to know. Friends and I talk about this a lot. Say hi to a stranger and he/she will probably look at you like you're from outer space. :D

I'm about 20 years from retirement so nah... :)

• Yes and thats why I suggested linking up that way with like minded people?Example.....our town holds regular sustainable living meetings at one of the pubs,we live near a stone circle,so especially on solstices,lots of alternative people around,we have mini festivals in summer,which attracts a fair amount of alternative type folk.Ok so you're into rally driving,but you need to get out there and research whats available where you live.Facebook is a good place to start looking for local groups.Good luck

I wish we had your pub life. We don't. Not even close.
    If you go to a pub here, people are mostly utterly drunk. And people don't talk to people they don't alreade know.
    (Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but just a little.)

I know of one festival and I'm going there this summer.

Hm. The more I think about it, Swedes are quite boring. :rolleyes: :whistle: Myself included, probably. :D

• Me and my ex once rallied our two horses and drays (like chariot racing) through the forest. Very exciting, untill we locked drays together at full trot. You should take time to gallop through a forest bare back on a horse.
    Me and a mate were nearly killed during the Lambard RAC rally around 1978? we were chasing the Rally to view points in Sherwood Forest on a old Honda CB185. We hit a sandy path which slowed us down. Just as a Porsche Rally car hit the front wheel of motorbike. How they manage to get away with health and safety and public viewing at these rallies I have no idea. Brilliant spectator sport though.

I LOVE rally and everyhting about it (mostly being in the actual car of course, but also working or just watching), but the spectators...oh my. We've had more than a few scares because of idiots standing in the wrong place etc. NOT fun at all.
    And, when there's an accident, media always blame the sport, even when it's the spectators fault. Pisses me off.
    Ok, sorry. Let's leave that now. :)

I have galloped bareback through a forest once, on a panicking horse. Yikes. That was an experience I'll never forget. :-)

• I've met some lovely people through this site. Why, Uncle jhad and Rainbomama, popped in for a cup of tea and a chat just this last Wednesday and nicklincs and I often meet up somewhere (actually, Nick, it has been a few weeks, so about time again?). I've met others at Dovedale and other festivals and events. Alice's Wonderland and I have talked about meeting up away from Dovedale, but we've not yet got it together. R3ubs is good company too. I am pretty certain that I know people in real life who are also registered on this forum, but don't post ... oh yes, including my man, French Whale Fan! Pity he's at home in France and I'm stuck here in the UK for a while.

• I wish we had your pub life. We don't. Not even close.
    If you go to a pub here, people are mostly utterly drunk. And people don't talk to people they don't alreade know.
    (Ok, I'm exaggerating a bit, but just a little.)

I know of one festival and I'm going there this summer.

Hm. The more I think about it, Swedes are quite boring. :rolleyes: :whistle: Myself included, probably. :D

You may be surprised who comes out of the woodwork,once you start researching whats in your area.Festivals can be good to meet new people too so fingers crossed for you.Ok so its boring where you live?Change it and start some groups.As Ghandhi said once....."Be the change you want to see in the world";)
    I once lived in a very small town in South Australia.I had heard of this quite well known spiritual leader (Guru to some?),and I was curious to know more.I had a pretty big group of alternative type mates,and told them I was going to contact this guy to visit me.if he agreed,they'd all be invited!Oh how they all laughed!Afterall,he was'nt even based in Australia,let alone the state where I lived.I replied with something like...."Yeah you can all laugh now,but you may be eating humble pie soon"! Anyway to cut a long story short,I rang the centre where this guy was based,and spoke to someone on the desk.I told them I wanted this guy to visit me,she didnt sound too shocked and asked where I was.I gave her the details of my number and address.I kept an open mind! Two weeks later,yep you guessed it,the guru rang me!Not only that,he happened to be visiting my part of Oz,and yep,he would also visit my house and offer some teachings and meditation. Motto of the story......Make things happen yourself! ;) (And yes my friends were genuinely shocked when I told them the news!We had a wonderful day with this guy,and I still keep in touch with him,25 yrs later ;) )

• You may be surprised who comes out of the woodwork,once you start researching whats in your area.Festivals can be good to meet new people too so fingers crossed for you.Ok so its boring where you live?Change it and start some groups.As Ghandhi said once....."Be the change you want to see in the world";)
    I once lived in a very small town in South Australia.I had heard of this quite well known spiritual leader (Guru to some?),and I was curious to know more.I had a pretty big group of alternative type mates,and told them I was going to contact this guy to visit me.if he agreed,they'd all be invited!Oh how they all laughed!Afterall,he was'nt even based in Australia,let alone the state where I lived.I replied with something like...."Yeah you can all laugh now,but you may be eating humble pie soon"! Anyway to cut a long story short,I rang the centre where this guy was based,and spoke to someone on the desk.I told them I wanted this guy to visit me,she didnt sound too shocked and asked where I was.I gave her the details of my number and address.I kept an open mind! Two weeks later,yep you guessed it,the guru rang me!Not only that,he happened to be visiting my part of Oz,and yep,he would also visit my house and offer some teachings and meditation. Motto of the story......Make things happen yourself! ;) (And yes my friends were genuinely shocked when I told them the news!We had a wonderful day with this guy,and I still keep in touch with him,25 yrs later ;) )

That's awesome! :-)

I am very much a person that makes things happen, I do all sorts of things as I'm very restless and don't have a lot of patience, heh. :)

But meeting that special someone is trickier... I'm not looking terribly hard though, I'm open to it but not desperate.
    I have joined a Swedish website for alternative people and lifestyles and I've made some great friends through it. Who knows, maybe He is in there somewhere too... :)

• I've met some lovely people through this site. Why, Uncle jhad and Rainbomama, popped in for a cup of tea and a chat just this last Wednesday and nicklincs and I often meet up somewhere (actually, Nick, it has been a few weeks, so about time again?). I've met others at Dovedale and other festivals and events. Alice's Wonderland and I have talked about meeting up away from Dovedale, but we've not yet got it together. R3ubs is good company too. I am pretty certain that I know people in real life who are also registered on this forum, but don't post ... oh yes, including my man, French Whale Fan! Pity he's at home in France and I'm stuck here in the UK for a while.

That's wonderful! I must say, there seems to be a lot of very nice people here at UK Hippy. :-)
    You're all a bit far away from me, otherwise I'd be totally into meeting people from this site. :-)
    (What led me here initially was narrowboats and camper vans.)

As I told Cobra, I'm active on a similar Swedish site too, and have met lots of great people through that. I love it!

• The best way to meet someone who you are totally compatable with in my humble opinion is go about your business in a happy and positve way and do all the things that make you feel good.
    In general when we are feeling on top of the world because we have surrounded ourselves with our favourite colours,smells,sounds,tastes etc we let out an aura,glow,vibe whatever you want to call it that attracts people to us.

If you enjoy walking around lakes for example,then you will more than likely meet other people out around the same lakes. If you enjoy sitting outside a pub people watching,then you will probably meet other people doing the same thing.
    I am sure you understand the relevance of these comments.

Just be you as much as you can be and make the most of your life,and if the universe is going to bring someone or a special someone to you,then it will. If it does not,then it does not matter as you should be enjoying the you time whilst you can.

Keep smiling and you will find lots will smile back :D

• Yes, I think so too. My Tinder test was over a year ago and I haven't been on any dating sites since.

Que sera, sera... :-)

Like I said in an earlier post: I'm open to it, not desperate. I don't need a man to enjoy my life, it would be a nice addition but not something that is absolutely required. :-)