Moveable skills....making money on the road.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Greetings all!

I currently make organic skincare and sell vintage plates. Both of which require me to have a fixed work location. This is not viable in summer, when I'll likely be all over the place.

So the question is - what skills do you recommend learning for making money on the road?
    Is difficult to think of things that don't require multiple years of study or a vast number of tools.

I won't limit the search with my restrictions, will leave it open for everyone to get ideas.

Thought we could brain storm together :)

• I think both of those skills are suitable for Internet sites - blogs, tutorials or buying advice. It's not too difficult to set up sites if you use a content management system, but it will probably take a while before you start to receive advertising revenue.

• I think both of those skills are suitable for Internet sites - blogs, tutorials or buying advice. It's not too difficult to set up sites if you use a content management system, but it will probably take a while before you start to receive advertising revenue.

Thanks for the reply. Ideally I'd like to get off of the computer. I'm hoping to interact more with people. I already have a blog that I barely update.

• Do you have any craft.or artistic skills that you could use to make and sell handcrafted items on your travels ?

painting or sketching ? or carving ? people do that on the canals theres no reason it cant be done on the road as an income..i do those things all the time but fior my own entertainment mostly.

• I rthink you could make organic creams, and sell them at village fetes and shows. It might help if you dis some of the work there. This would show customers why your products are better.

But I don't really know how you make them, so my post may not be relevant.

• Busking....I....no.

I don't think I can make anything saleable, I'll have to think about it. But I'm not overly enthused about craft fairs etc.

As for art, I can barely draw a tree following a tutorial, so I'm out with that too.

I'm more practical and a good organiser rather than artistic [as much as I try].

I couldn't make and sell cream on the road due to the logistics and the legality.

• No useful qualifications, no.

As for office work. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I mean, I don't think I'm compatible sitting in an office :/

Can you have agency work nomadically? I presume I'd have to constantly join new agencies, and by the time I registered with one, I'd be somewhere else!

I could work in a warehouse as I love to organise things, however, the same agency saga continues.

Friend suggested consulting. In what I have no idea. Takes a lot of confidence I think.

I could teach people to use eBay for both buying and selling. I could also list things for people on eBay. Teach conversational English, although have no experience.

I have previous experience with children, but again, moving too much makes trust an issue.

Thanks for all the replies.

• Many agencies are.national concerns so you just need to tell them.in advsnce whst area youre moving to..i used to do thst truck driving..you can also.opt to be self employed so you sort your own tax and NI .

Whst about social nedia ? businesses will pay you to keep their fscebook and twitter accounts up to dste posting new products and reviews,writing blogs for them etc...you can run as many accounts as you can handle personally or there are agencies who farm out the work to you but its less money....obviously you need computer internet access .

Or as you say theres listing items on auction sites

If youre any good at writing you can find work copywriting or writing website articles or blogs...you usually get the bare bones given you and you have to resesrch the subject and write the content...it pays well.but you need to spend time on internet researching and know how to write interesting articles....or you can write short stories....ive esrned money doing that but ive had to put it on hold as ive got no electricity so csnt use lsptop..no good writing on a phone like i am at present.

• Ebay works for me , wherever I am I always do the charity shops , boot fairs , auctions , or check near peoples bins and of course the skips and dumps , get it back to the truck quick photo and description and list it , with paypal payments its all sorted ,
    or get to the stage where if you need a park up just do some help /work for the park up and try and need as little cash as possible, I have litter picked / cut grass / keeped an eye on things on campsites before for free rent , or back in the day fruit / spuds picked on farms , for free park up , free food , free wood ect and get payed as well

• Auctions and internet selling becomes a real problem if you are mobile without a base. I won't use PayPal either, but then there are several alternatives. It comes back to blogging or Internet tutorials, and monetising those. That can build a steady stream of income for you if you stick at it.

I was tempted to try house-sitting for people who have gone away for holidays. You wouldn't even need to stay in the house if you camped in the garden.

• So that's why you were asking about my cream....

As for the other suggestions, as I said I want to get away from the computer and interact face to face.

John, I can't store the stock. I mean I can right now, but I don't want to be tied here.

Looking to learn a new skill that would be useful - as an example, but not necessarily of interest to me - welding.

• Auctions and internet selling becomes a real problem if you are mobile without a base. I won't use PayPal either, but then there are several alternatives. It comes back to blogging or Internet tutorials, and monetising those. That can build a steady stream of income for you if you stick at it.

I was tempted to try house-sitting for people who have gone away for holidays. You wouldn't even need to stay in the house if you camped in the garden.

No its not its simple , you buy something , photograph it , list it , and if you sell it , you post it off , and the money is payed direct to you , no base needed keep your stock small and postable , believe me it can be done , there are at least 3 items that I can sell for 4 times what I pay for in the charity shops ,

• You dont need large items think small and easy to post , but to get away from the computer , we used to pick
    daffs in spring , then strawberry , spuds , apples , nuts , then Christmas trees , all paid work with free park ups , might be harder now but some farms still employ non eastern European workers

• I suggested those things because you said you might deal with ebay -which requires a pooter....welding would be useful...or joinery...get a forklift cert -takes a few days youll get a job anywhere.

Forklift sounds interesting. Was thinking woodwork, but was concerned by the amount of tools potentially required.

Was thinking that I could get a pressure washer and offer services to domestic, driveways etc.

• I could teach you how to make hazel chairs , , or better still you could make hazel wands ,to sell to middle class space case hippys , I will even let you have the hazel for free if you do that

• Organic Foods.....With Long Life....
    Like Say...Natural Organic Jams...pickles ..etc....do some wild flower ones too and pick wild berries ..and make Rose jam .and ..lavender etc etc which are cheap to make .food for you too and ..last for ages as no spoiling as you travel......peeps go crazy for them.....and maybe if you know local bee keepers on your travels do honey as well .and will give you good deals as will local fruit farmers as you can use and buy the squished strawberries and apples etc dirt cheap ....
    Just get cheap jars and tie them old fashioned way so they look like vintage old traditional style and wam bam peeps go mental for them at school fetes and fairs ...bootfares ..markets....even small local shops and even some farm shops will buy them from you on your travels...
    And coming upto xmas ...if wild holly nearby ...get thick gloves realvof strong wire and then pick holly and make xmas holly wreaths...glue fallen cones and acorns etc etc and thats a mahoosive seller ....i sell and make about 200/300 ranging from 6 to 10 pounds and sell out by time i done two boot fares the only thing i pay out is for Wire which is 20.00 for loads ...and cost of bootfair fee...and make also xmas devorations using cones and holly or bushes ..tree branches etc etc as i forage around in the woods all free and all fallen so not hurting anything ...just go to pound shop get 5 packets of glue costing 5.00 in all ...get some glitter at a pound and some cheap ribbon etc spend 15pounds ....and make at least over 150 xmas decorations and earn over 300 pounds of which layout was 15.00 in pound shop and the forest gave me everything i need for free ....

So just a thought for you maybe to maybe use or be of some small help to you:)

• Forklift sounds interesting. Was thinking woodwork, but was concerned by the amount of tools potentially required.

Was thinking that I could get a pressure washer and offer services to domestic, driveways etc.

good idea,plus get yourself a hedgecutter and maybe a mower and door nock for jobs must be loads of work down oxford way

• No its not its simple , you buy something , photograph it , list it , and if you sell it , you post it off , and the money is payed direct to you , no base needed keep your stock small and postable , believe me it can be done , there are at least 3 items that I can sell for 4 times what I pay for in the charity shops ,

I don't have much experience of this but I'm sure it can be done. Last year, on a whim, I bought a set of 9 LP's at £1 each in a charity shop and sold them on Gumtree for £36. I also bought weights and a weights bench from an advert in a shop window and then sold half of the weights, again on Gumtree, for the same price as I got the lot, i.e. leaving me with the weights bench and all the weights I wanted to keep for nowt. And I could have sold them too, if I wanted, for a handsome profit.
    If you look on sites like Gumtree and look at what 'collectibles' people are buying/selling, you get an idea of what to buy for re-sale. I'm currently selling some old toys that I got for nothing and I'm £115 up already having sold just half of them (StarWars/Transformers stuff). All I had to do was clean them up.