Ebike homemade update

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I thought i just thought i'd share an idea with regards to batteries.

If you want a 36 volt battery for an ebike your looking at around £400 give or take for a good quality lithium-ion which is beyond allot of peoples price range,

what if i told you you can make a 36 volt lithium ion battery safely with 6ah for £130 without having to solder without having to strip old batteries out of laptops and very little work?

6 ah doesn't sound like much but it will get you around 9 miles with a power assisted lekky bike and given the price you can make it for you could make two batteries and extend your range to 18 miles for still less money than a genuine bike battery and they don't do much more mileage.

ultimately it's up to you how you want to do it but i will explain the pluses of my way of doing it which to me are entirely practical .

right here goes:

you can buy 18volt lithium ion drill batteries on some buying sites for as little as £35 just look around they do exist

you can wire these together easily with with spade connectors very cheap ...pennies

you need four batteries to make this work, for the record though you can pick batteries up at bootsales too just bear in mind the batteries you use must be the same power and tech i.e all lithium ion....or all ni-cad etc or indeed if you wanna go super cheap but mega inefficient lead acid.

step one: take two 18 volt 3ah drill batteries and wire them in series, this is simple but just in case it gets misunderstood i will suggest you look at youtube to find out how to wire in series to save me getting shouted at lol.

step two: repeat the above with the second two , this will give you two seperate banks of batteries still individually 18volt but both with now a higher rated amp rating of 6ah.

step three: take the two pairs of battery banks you have just created and wire them together in series again get yourself on youtube to learn how to do this it really is simple.

This will now give you a battery pack rated 36volt and 6 ah, obviously if you want to increase the amp hour rating you need to add batteries whilst in the series configuration but you need to keep the configuration equal.

the reason i think this is a good idea is few things, one its possible to make your own bike battery thats just s good as any commercially available one at less cost but also you can spread the cost by buying the individual batteries one by one,
    multi sequential chargers are available at around £70 quid but individual chargers are allot less,

but heres the really good bit if you do it , theres two or three good points, one cheaper, two you can still use the individual batteries for you power tools, three because you are not disassembling the individual battery units as long as you dont tell the manufacturer what your using them for you do not compromise the makers warranty if bought new.

anywho any questions please feel free to message me, i am only just getting back on my feet after being homeless so as yet unable to upload diagrams and do videos, but as soon as i am i will be uploading some stuff detailing builds and sharing as much of my limited but useful knowledge as i can...peace and love people i hope the above helps someone.

• I am not in any way shouting but :)

"step three: take the two pairs of battery banks you have just created and wire them together in series again get yourself on youtube to learn how to do this it really is simple."

You mean wire the two banks in parallel i believe? for more Amp Hours,be careful and do your homework ;)

Also spade connectors are not great for pulling large currents through,soldering (hard wiring) is much better.

Tinkering with "Thors" hammer needs caution ;)

• Just one tiny little 18650 battery can be deadly if shorted or mis-handled.
    People really must do their homework before messing with electrickery,even small voltage DC can be fatal.

Lead acid batteries are too heavy for portable apps IMHO.

MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

:peace:

• i was cycling to work knowing id typed summit wrong lol bugger ...s for the spade connectors no not ideal but they for the usage i need them for quick removal is ideal ....but thanks for pointing out the mistake shall edit accordingly

• Step one should be parallel to double the ah.
    Step three is correct.

Following the original instruction you would have a 72v 3ah pack.

thanks i will look into it....no idea how to edit my original post though? i must have got me parralels and series's''s' wrong cos my battery is working great and chucking out the correct AH i needed

• I've been thinking about converting an ordinary pushbike to electric for a while now. First to get would be the motor I'd say, about 250 watt would be about the same as hard peddalling. Any suggestions as to where a roughly 250 watt, 12 or 24 volt motor could be found? Can't think of anything automotive of that power, save a starter motor and they are not suited to continuous running anyway.

• I have built a few electric bikes.
    Best thing I did was to get this book Build your own Electric bicycle by Matthew Slinn. isbn no.978-0-07-160621-1
    It covers everything you need to know. Last one I built was a tricycle for someone that still buzzing about round Lampyland. :)

• I've been thinking about converting an ordinary pushbike to electric for a while now. First to get would be the motor I'd say, about 250 watt would be about the same as hard peddalling. Any suggestions as to where a roughly 250 watt, 12 or 24 volt motor could be found? Can't think of anything automotive of that power, save a starter motor and they are not suited to continuous running anyway.

250w 24v motors are all over ebay, they are used to power them kids electric scooters. You can also get hub motors cheap on there sometimes with a decent wheel. Last one i bought was a tenner, and a guy at newark autojumble does the scooter motors for 7 quid.