So i am going to get a lekkyfied bike!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i decided that next pay day i am going to purchase a lekky bike after having borrowed one fro friend for a few days to help make my descision, the EGRIN that is spoken of in various forums is very real ....i mean you still have to pedal but you dont need a wotsit to get your woosh when you want it woooohooooooooo looking forward to payday!!:D

• i decided that next pay day i am going to purchase a lekky bike after having borrowed one fro friend for a few days to help make my descision, the EGRIN that is spoken of in various forums is very real ....i mean you still have to pedal but you dont need a wotsit to get your woosh when you want it woooohooooooooo looking forward to payday!!:D

details, links? please?

• Looks ok that Halfrauds one. I use a folder normal bike for the schools in the week but not had a leccy one on road for a few years. Use to sell many new one round Lampeter area for years Byocycle ones 36v they were and mainly folders, a lot of old customers have still got them and get me to sort out the odd repair. I do have an old heavy step thru frame clunker of a leccy bike that needs the battery pack opening up and three new sla betteries putting in. Been meaning to do that for over a year now. Must get round to it your post has reminded me InventiveTim.

• I have heard of the electrics failing ,causing the wheel to lock up,if you can,go for a rear hub motor one,if it locks it will skid (you might stay upright),but if the front locks you will be over the handlebars.
    Have a look on the auction sites,there is plenty to choose from.

• I've been thinking about getting one,id need to change it from solar and the range is a thing for me my nearest shop is 11 miles away so I'd probably not get away with a cheapish one, the technology seems to be progressing fast so I decided to hold fire and wait , but I am starting to chubb-up a bit and should be taking some exercise.

• A electric bike would be a great asset to a van dweller. Are they 48volts? I would want a solar charge system if possible.

Ready built ones are usually 24 volts or 36 volts , the higher wattage ones (usually illegal for UK road use) tend to run higher voltages,48 Volts and above.
    There are some rules worth finding out about, highest wattage hubs are 250W watts for UK roads iirc ,
    Top speeds limited to 18mph i believe.

Any more power than that and it really needs to be registered.

• The rules have finally been set at 250watts along with Europe instead of the old uk one of 200 watts. New ones have to be pedal assist only instead of throttle but some can be retro fitted with a throttle. Also some can be reset to go above 25kmh but the pedal assist one I had and set to 45kmh needed a lot of pedaling to even get anywhere near 35 as gearing wasn't right ratios to achieve that and would have needed a lot of mucking about with.
    Check a link further up these posts use to be a good website for needing to know things.
    36v ones should obtain upto 30 miles these days.

• yeh i mean you have to be realistic they boast 20 miles on lowest setting at optimum weight in ideal conditions thats just the way life is and people lie to sell things

but...having sid that the bike itself is one of the cheapest around and becuase its a 24 volter additional batteries arent that difficult to get hold of so extending the range is easier than it would be on a more pricey bike with higher voltge.

• I bought a electric bike off of eBay a few years back, For use in the Fens. It was from the late 1980's Front wheel hub motor and had two 12volt wet motorcycle batteries in a bag behind the seat on the luggage rack, I went up and down the road and it was quite practical. Especially on the flat, smooth roads. My intention was to use it to go to the nearest village shops. I also considered doubling up or upgrading the size of the battery to get further. It soon became apparent that all that weight so high up on the frame was not the best idea.
    I put it straight back on eBay and made a little profit.

Center of gravity, poor balance were all factors in my decision to put it back on eBay.
    Electric bikes often come up for sale with minor faults, but usually the battery is dead. I would be more inclined to buy a better secondhand unit and replace the batteries for my £500

• Best bet is to choose an ordinary bike that you really like and isn't mad money, then get someone like Tiller Cycles to fit a rear hub motor on it. That way you have a nice bike, but it don't half go. There are loads of 500 watt motors around, which really means you should have insurance blah blah, put considerately, they never mark the hub with the wattage and the batteries are generally 48 volt, though I do know someone who was building a mad machine that runs on 72 volts on a heavier frame and tyres. Good conversions really are brilliant, loads of range and really useful uphill.

• hi , i brought a electric bike conversion kit for my 700c wheel hybrid bike ,it was around £400,it is a front wheel motor 36v battery ,iv been using it now for nearly 4 years ,and is supurb for assit where there are hills,abit of advice though ,i advise that when you use it ,that flatten the battery down completly B4 you recharge every time ,or else you will end up with flat spot in the battery ,using the battery in this way ensures that the battery is kept in correct and optimum condition,as the battery is the most expensive part ,new battery for mine is £250,iff you look after it ,keep it conditioned properly it should last for many years .