Starting an online shop

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Awwww c'mon.....the middle man (traditional merchant) is generally losing ground because of improved global logistics and people sourcing cheaper solutions......

The rusty axe of Marxist philosophy ( and other more contentious sources ) has it that all should do away with the profiteering middle merchant wherever possible because middle merchants remove the influence from the underpaid workers who serve to actually create the product or service.

I have never found a rational argument that can pose a winning argument against the fundamentals of this type of philosophy.

• We are not using a middle man. We are creating a product and we are selling that product directly to the end user.

Initially we will be using ebay to market our product because it is a way of getting our products out there to the public quickly and with the minimum of investment of time and money.

Paul

• Good luck with it.

There are numerous reasons for setting up on-line shops apart from the obvious.

One good reason is to profit from your own craftsmanship and abilities.
    One is to de-clutter and get rid of your own surplus stuff.
    Another is to help charity shops to sell surplus items.
    I'm setting up a dvd store which I hope to use to harvest traffic for parked domains
    I've just set up an auction site for selling domain names.

There is always more to the Internet than the obvious. :)

• Can I pay you to give me internet lessons? I have absolutely no idea

• What sort of things are you going to be producing? Have you got any designs yet, and is it worth hanging on before doing all my xmas shopping?

I would love to be producing mugs before Christmas but I can't see that happening at the moment. We need to raise the capitol, buy the equipment and learn how to use it before we can start selling mugs.

We do however already produce t-shirts so if you wanted a specific t-shirt just PM me. We don't do any stock designs with the t-shirts as everything is bespoke but we can produce your own designs or just give us an idea of what you want and we will produce a design for you.

The mugs will be mainly stock designs and we will be spending a lot of time over the next few months building up a library of designs

Paul

• I bought some mugs from a pottery shop in the Cotswolds years ago, they were great. The top was narrower trhan the base. This had two benefits. The drink stayed hot for longer, and the mug was more stable if you were thumping the table. ( don't ask :) ).

• I bought some mugs from a pottery shop in the Cotswolds years ago, they were great. The top was narrower trhan the base. This had two benefits. The drink stayed hot for longer, and the mug was more stable if you were thumping the table. ( don't ask :) ).

if they were like these..yup, i had some, bloody awesome, held 1.25 pints, used to use mine at the Pub, one day the landlord got a pint glas n filled it with water n tipped it in my Mug...:wall: that was the last time I was allowed to use that for Guinness in his Pub..:clap:

I managed a couple years before he figured..........

• At the moment I'm customising an auction script to sell domain names. I think that there may be another boost to their value as the world economy changes shape in the future. Building an Internet shop on your own domain name seems to be a good way to ensure some income in the future. Some of the free e-commerce scripts are quite good, and they are fairly easy to set up in a few minutes.

• Things are moving on with this project. We have bought the domain names and have hosting. I am doing market research and coming up with designs.

I will be building the website over the christmas period and hopefully in January we will have enough money to buy the equipment so we can go into production.

I will post the web address as soon as we have something to show

Paul

• Hope you do well - look forward to seeing the products --

[FONT=&quot]“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.” – [/FONT]

• I have put up a Coming Soon page for our site so there is something for people to see whilst I build the full e commerce in the background.

I welcome all comments and criticisms

Paul

Great -

[FONT=&quot]“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.” – [/FONT]

• Congratulations on getting the site up and running.

Comments are that backgrounds with images [the clouds] distract from the content of the website, and also that it is harder to read the white text on the white cloud.

Hahaha, pinky swear :)

Mug idea, which I'm sure you've thought of already, but metric to decimal conversion, esp inches to cm.

• Thanks Fire tree

I have upped the opacity of the content box so it should be easier to read now. This is just a coming soon page and has nothing to do with the design of the finished website. The design we are going for is very clean and crisp with no background images.

Yes, we have a conversions mug in the pipeline but please keep any ideas coming. It will ultimately be our customers who lead our designs I think

Paul

• I have never used QR codes before - wonder if these could be printed on a mug.