Quirky items for nomads

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I picked up a couple of these items yesterday, and it took me a while to work out what they were. It seems they are designed to keep your coffee warm whilst you sit in a restaurant for hoursusing their free WiFi. I'm about to test one, but my feeling is that it will be pretty useless. :)

Has anyone else found a strange device that may/may not help the nomads amongst us?

• Well I've table tested this item with a black coffee. My considered opinion is that leaving the lid on the beaker, and using the drinking hole makes a noticeable difference. There doesn't seem to be a noticeable advantage in using the heater. I don't think I'll be using it in the future, so I put it on my auction site. I guess it makes a stocking filler for the man who has everything. :)

• You won't be using their wifi for hours if you plug that in, unless you have a spare battery.

Unless you go buy a car with a half dead battery move it to McDonald's, take the battery off, charge it, set up an auction site site to sell the rest of the car, review McDonald's WiFi cos it's different to all the others, then you can keep your crap coffee warm. Or just drink it!?

• Unless you go buy a car with a half dead battery move it to McDonald's, take the battery off, charge it, set up an auction site site to sell the rest of the car, review McDonald's WiFi cos it's different to all the others, then you can keep your crap coffee warm. Or just drink it!?

------

So many stupid assumptions and attitudes in there. Why don't you stop and reflect on the whole situation. Maybe you aren't living in a van, and even if you are you have a permanent site.

You don't have to be Einstein to realise that it is possible to plug a notebook into the mains, and use the USB power line to run low voltage electical items like mice and microphones.

btw McD coffee is not too bad, and half the price of the frothed up sugar stuff sold in many places.

• I do live in a van with no permanent site I generate my own power make my own coffee use free WiFi and still don't have to go into McDonald's or buy cars for a battery. Make maybe I am missing something like a McDonald's USB coffee warmer

• should have labelled this thread 'useless tat that only a numpty would own' , no serious nomad is gonna ever think 'Oh fuck i forgot to bring my USB coffee warmer from last site'

p.s.
    I live on a bus and drink coffee ,kettle lives on woodburner so always hot for top ups , enamalled mugs sit on there as well (careful not to burn hands/lips).

• should have labelled this thread 'useless tat that only a numpty would own' , no serious nomad is gonna ever think 'Oh fuck i forgot to bring my USB coffee warmer from last site'

p.s.
    I live on a bus and drink coffee ,kettle lives on woodburner so always hot for top ups , enamalled mugs sit on there as well (careful not to burn hands/lips).

Well said shroom do you keep your big macs on the burner too?

• I'm pretty shocked by someof the attitudes here.

I took a decision that enabled me to honour my obligations to a friend and a tradesman. I thought it would be a slight inconvenience to me, but it has turned out rather well. I'm disgusted that peoole would spend waste time driving around to buy a battery, because they are too lazy to dispose of a scrap car for a profit, and then they post that they are bored.

Get it into your thick heads, that the only thing I eat in McD is the egg wrap.

I posted about the mug warmer because I thought it was a useless gimmick, but I would try it just in case it worked. It's called "keeping an open mind" - as it happens it is a useless gimmick.

I don't do things for my image either - if I think it is advantageous, then I'll adopt it.

• eat all you like there , just saying i prefer not to. I stand by my comment that you have miss titled this thread and at least you seem to agree on that.

• I bought a new battery a month ago . it was £29 , and had a warranty for 2 years , this was in a small motering shop in a small town , so I am sure thety must be cheaper else were. Suprisingly it was fully charged . I needed it for an electric fence , If it had been for a car that had a flat battery , I would have simply jump started the car , or towed it or push started it , , but if I new the battery /starter etc was dicky I would of been parked on a slope.
    Buying a car for the battery is like buying a currant bun for the currants .

Being a 'nomad' , one of the most important skills you need is to be able to move when need be.

THis is a HIPPY WEBSIT, I am sure you mean well , but you banging on about how great Brexit is , and Mc D this , McDs that is going to get you some flack .

Sory to sound negative , I have taken the baton from Haggy during his absense.

• A few things I like too keep on-board a machete, Colman stove,air compressor,couple of tins of lidl's bacon grill and a working generator.

machete -check
    colman stove-check (actually hexamine but good if gas runs out)
    didls bacon - none on board but pasta,rice, tins , and pot poodles
    working gennie - check , honda ex 600 .

looks like all I need to ready myself for another 4 years of bus dwelling is a USB coffee warmer ..........

• Don't know if you've tried that bacon grill stuff guess it's like spam but fried in olive oil it's lovely and my current gennie is a impact im800l from screwfix in its third year light as a feather and an inverter job too when it dies a will go straight out and buy another it's been faultless :thumbup:

• Last year my missus in one of her taking the piss moments bought one of those usb massagers from the pound shop for me.

Inevitably it was shit but I think its still slung in a drawer somewhere. It has just occurred to me that it would be ideal for a nice relaxing massage whilst waiting for the worlds smallest pan of stew to cook on a usb hotplate.

It could also be used to ease an aching back after fitting second hand batteries, or disposing of scrap cars.

If anyone wants it, its theirs. If there's lots of interest i may set up a website to auction it off...

Actually, you know the more i think about it the more uses it has. Fuck it, im keeping it - you can all piss off and get your own.

• I did buy a 12v in mug element thing a long time ago when I gave up on a hot drink and went to drive away I couldn't due to a flat battery happy times

Haha i made the mistake of buying one of those once at newark autojumble. Plugged it into my hilux and it worked for exactly the amount of time to get a drink lukewarm before it burned the socket out.
    For anyone not knowing, getting all the bits off round the dash to replace said socket on a k plate hilux was a full mornings work....

Needless to say the element went in the bin.

• [h=2]5. USB cup warmer[/h]

Price £10 inc VAT
    Supplier IWantOneOfThose.com
    USB ports, as you’re no doubt aware, are great. And not only because they’re a universal data-transfer system. They also supply power, meaning you can produce devices that just use the port to get juice. Hence, we have devices like the USB cup warmer. A great idea on the face of it: use the power from a USB port to heat an element that you can put your cup on, a bit like the hot plate of a coffee maker.
    Here, however, is some simple maths:
    A USB port can supply five volts, at a maximum current of half an amp. Power, as you may remember from your physics lessons, equals voltage multiplied by current. That means the total power a USB port can supply to any single device is 2.5W.
    If that doesn’t mean much to you, bear in mind that the average electric kettle draws 3,000W. And that’s because making watery things hot – or keeping them hot - requires a lot of power.
    And so, our little USB-powered cup warmer, hamstrung by having less than a thousandth of the power of a domestic kettle to play with, doesn’t work very well. It *does* get hot though, and to be fair if it got any hotter it would be an accident waiting to happen.
    A bigger drawback is the fact that the diameter of its little hotplate wasn’t enough to properly accommodate the standard British coffee mugs in the PC Pro office.
    It does, however, come complete with an on/off switch and a lovely blue LED. So it looks a little bit Christmassy.
    Rating 2/6

sums it up really ............

• I bought mine at trago mills with my new girlfriend in the van thought I'd impress her buy taking her up on Dartmoor for a bit of a picnic with my new gadget. had to get her to help bump the van with a few other strangers press ganged into help.

Ahhh the old " Car won't start we will have to sleep in the van" routine .cool :thumbup: