Working as a Health Care Assistant while on the road.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I've just qualified as a HCA, and am thinking of working at this, possibly for an agency, while living out of my van. I lived out of it for three months last year so I know something of that part of it, I was just wondering if anyone else out there does the same sort of work while travelling and if so how they're getting on.

• I've always thought that this would be a brilliant idea. There seem to be a number of elderly people living in large houses. Parking in their grounds, and helping them to stay in a home that has all their memories and conveniencies seems to be a good idea, and it's cheaper thasn moving them into homes. I don't expect the government will agree with me though. :)

• Yes it is a brilliant idea.:D.There is much concern nowadays though over fraud regarding the vulnerable.Even working as a voluntary Befriender for a charity i had to have my DBS.Disclosure and Barring Service certificate which is the old CRB Criminal; Records Bureau certificate.A total police check.This requires evidence of all prior addresses and ids.I dislike the reliance on this check as it only uncovers KNOWN crimes.A teacher who had been at my childs school for many years must of had this,before he was found to have been a longtime paedo still in clink now.You hear of fraud everywhere,old people being conned etc.As usual the minority scum spoil it for the majority.Not many nowadays would let a stranger roll up and into the house without many proofs of sound character and intent.The relatives also are a problem.They can be very protective,overly so, or some really do want outside eyes out of the equation while they wait for the inheritance.:(Now i feel like i have tipped cold water on your lovely thought.Sorry.I am a hardend old hippy.Stay sweetly smiling its a lovely idea.Have you seen "The Lady In The Van"a true story about an old van lady living in a posh area of London,screen adapted.Maggie Smith was ace in it.I dont think she helped the resident though twas other way round.:D

I've always thought that this would be a brilliant idea. There seem to be a number of elderly people living in large houses. Parking in their grounds, and helping them to stay in a home that has all their memories and conveniencies seems to be a good idea, and it's cheaper thasn moving them into homes. I don't expect the government will agree with me though. :)

• Parking in their grounds, and helping them to stay in a home that has all their memories and conveniencies seems to be a good idea, and it's cheaper thasn moving them into homes. I don't expect the government will agree with me though.

There are niches in the system, night care is one, where you would have to be on hand and presumably inside the person's house rather than in your van, but at least you would get to sleep in the van during the day!

• Disclosure and Barring Service certificate which is the old CRB Criminal; Records Bureau certificate.A total police check.This requires evidence of all prior addresses and ids.I dislike the reliance on this check as it only uncovers KNOWN crimes.

They probably thought that short of applying the thumbscrews to everyone in the industry, it was the best they could do. How would you improve on this system cricket?

• I think your problem would come more from the family. Even if you had a full DBS, certificates, references etc i suspect a lot of relatives wouldnt let someone living in a vcan through their front door.
    Prejudice and stereotyping are going to be the hardest thing to overcome, and most likely stop the OP.

• You could do a bit of live-in care work for a few months with all the money you would save you could have a few months off to do your own thing.All of the care agencies do the police check's.if your clean or a tad grey no problem's getting one.

• Because i was nfa for several years a long while ago it caused very many difficulties and delays at that time.Utility bills, recent ones are asked for,passport,driving licence,address .Gave up in the end.

You could do a bit of live-in care work for a few months with all the money you would save you could have a few months off to do your own thing.All of the care agencies do the police check's.if your clean or a tad grey no problem's getting one.

Most care agencies expect you to pay upfront for it or give it free if you stay for more than 6 months.
    Some companies are not so white,ive been asked to work without one before and overseas records are hit and miss.

• If you have an address ie family members you can use I dont see why it would matter.

I've lived in an industrial unit for two years. This year I had to start work after my business collapsed. The agency or my new employer doesnt know my situaltion. In paper I live in a house.

I am in the process of converting a van to get rid of the financial burden of the industrial unit.

• Thanks for the replies. I have an address and am also Garda cleared to work with the elderly and vulnerable, which is the Irish version of DBS. Sort of thing I have in mind is spending the winter somewhere sunny, staying on a campsite and working in a residential care home. There's a high turnover in that line of work, in Ireland anyway, so agencies might not be too fussed about not living in bricks and mortar. That's my take on the situation anyway.

• Have you seen "The Lady In The Van"a true story about an old van lady living in a posh area of London,screen adapted.Maggie Smith was ace in it.I dont think she helped the resident though twas other way round.:D

Yes, what a brilliant film! Have threatened to park up on my daughter's drive for my retirement!

• Ha ha great retirement.I have told my son that i will and have supported him all i can and all i wish is for a little cabin at the end of his hopefully very rural long garden ,with my stove ,a rocking chair by trees so i can hear the birds when i am very old.You could call your van something housie..."Mount Pleasant""The Mansion"or something and let the postie know:D.

Yes, what a brilliant film! Have threatened to park up on my daughter's drive for my retirement!

• The Irish are serious travellers arnt they ,i should think theyd be more understanding than over here in England.?

Thanks for the replies. I have an address and am also Garda cleared to work with the elderly and vulnerable, which is the Irish version of DBS. Sort of thing I have in mind is spending the winter somewhere sunny, staying on a campsite and working in a residential care home. There's a high turnover in that line of work, in Ireland anyway, so agencies might not be too fussed about not living in bricks and mortar. That's my take on the situation anyway.

• They have to be Cricket, there's next to no jobs in rural Ireland and despite our government's hype there's not a lot going on anywhere else in the country. Sadly the policy of exporting unemployment has been a cornerstone of Irish policy since independence.

• Ha ha great retirement.I have told my son that i will and have supported him all i can and all i wish is for a little cabin at the end of his hopefully very rural long garden ,with my stove ,a rocking chair by trees so i can hear the birds when i am very old.You could call your van something housie..."Mount Pleasant""The Mansion"or something and let the postie know:D.

My farming Godfather had a little old lady living in an old railway carriage round the back of the farmhouse, this was in the sixties, she used to work there I think. I always thought this was cool even as a little lad, but no doubt that arrangement wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

• My farming Godfather had a little old lady living in an old railway carriage round the back of the farmhouse, this was in the sixties, she used to work there I think. I always thought this was cool even as a little lad, but no doubt that arrangement wouldn't be allowed nowadays.

Sounds a lot like in wales where i lived 30 years ago....quite a few old folk -retired farm hands and the like - living in shacks and converted railway carriages dotted about on farms and scraps of rough land....one by one forced off into homes or died and the plots redeveloped.

Now weve all got the same kind of government politicians and councillorsvwho steal everything weve got,tell us theres no way they can afford to look after us as theres no money and we must look after ourselves then with their laws make it impossible for us to even do thst.

Ive usually a bottle of jack daniels around to toast the parasitess an early bankrupcy and homelessness.... ;)

• Yes....I've done some recent face to face research on the topic. You may not need hospital work as well as care homes but provided you have the (Cunt,bastard,fuck you over) requirement of a bona fide (cunt, bastard, fuck you over wankers) residential address and maintain your DBS equivalent and mandatory training and ongoing referencing (get the senior to score your performance on a shift by shift basis if ad hoc working may cause a problem).....shift over to the uk before brexit shenanigans and get yourself in hospital work to widen your market and all should be well for you.

Nb.....its likely UK agencies would offer to contract your services as a Ltd company and also likely that if you registered your Ltd company in Eire you might enjoy greater tax breaks:thumbup:

• Just back from the Torremolinos area of Spain, where I've been researching the idea of working for British owned care homes. There's a few out there caring for those expats who retired to Spain about 20 years ago and now are unable to look after themselves in their own homes. There was polite interest, but no more. My lack of Spanish is a handicap as that's needed for interaction with the local health system, something I hadn't thought of. Pity, was looking forward to a sunny winter in the van.