List of 3.5t vehicles

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• , Shogun/Pajero,

I steer clear of Mitsubishi. In my experience they are very expensive for genuine parts if you can get them. They are also awkward and time consuming to work on. Toyota on the other hand are more expensive than say Ford, but not as expensive as many other brands of vehicle such as Subaru. In any case there have been so many Landruisers made, there are plenty of new non genuine parts on E-bay. In Australia Toyota and Mitsubishi have the same number of dealerships, but Toyota outsell Mitsubishi 3:1 even though the real price for new comparable vehicles is always cheaper for a the Mitsubishi. Don't you wonder why?

• Best japanese 4x4 I ever owned was a 2000 mazda b2500 crewcab pickup, never went wrong, cheap, simple,tough and I thought looked OK too. Did take a lot of looking to find one that hadn't been ragged to death by a builder thjough, saw a lot with busted rear springs and dodgy looking chassis. If you get a diesel pickup or van and live near London make sure you get one that's emissions compliant (usually post 2001 ish is fine) or you won't be able to take it in if you need to.

• Most 3.5 ton vehicles srent much wider than a decent 4x4. My LDV convoy was pretty much the same width as the Range Rover i had which i towed plant trailers with occasionally.Ive seen Airstreams towed behind Range Rover's and Discovery's .If its just a case of needing a vehicle to resite the Airstream elsewhere occasionally then thats the kind of vehicle id look at and use the legally required extension.mirrors..Range Rover and Discoverys are both capable of pulling 5 tons in an emergency but legally 3.5 ton trailer privately.A Range Rover is around 2200kg so if your Airstream is around 1800kg youd be within the right towing weight ratio.(80% of the towing vehicle weight).Alternatively Nissan or Toyota 4x4'.
    If all youre looking for is a vehicle to resite the Airstream i dont see the point of getting a 3.5 ton van youre rarely going to need or use.You may as well go hire one if you needed one and buy a sensible vehicle thst suits your everyday needs.
    You could look at getting an American 4x4 RV that are generally a bit wider than European/Japanese 4x4's...a lot of them are diesel or LPG converts ...would also look the part with your Airstream too. :) Ford Bronco y'all

We want to use our Airstream for what it was designed for and that is touring. At the moment our movements are restricted because of our lack of a suitable tow vehicle.

Paul

• I used to tow the gypsy roulotte with both a BJ42 Toyota and the HJ45. Both narrow bodied torque monster 4 x 4s, but sadly they are getting collectible now ( read expensive)

The caravan was 2.4 meters wide and 6 meters long plus draw bar.

But I would go with a normal SWB lowroof crew cab van or minibus, wider than a car, easy to drive, easy to tow, great visibility, economical when towing, space to carry as much tat in the tow vehicle as possible to make the caravan lighter and cheap to buy.

A lot of vehicles can tow a big wide caravan, but the fuel economy becomes catastrophic when they do, vans are geared well and cope well under load. If you look at the French travelling folks they all tow their massive touring caravans behind vans, sensible folks who know what works.

Land rovers are overrated unreliable boxes of shit. Avoid.

• Anny decent 2.5l+ 4x4 will tow it So will most vans with reasonably sized engines. Just get extended mirrors. I see them being towed with Discoveries, Hiluxes, Land cruisers, Mitsubishi's.
    I'm not entirety sure why the width is problematic, a lot of trailers are about that size.

• It has less to do with weight and more to do with width. An 8' wide trailer need a 3.5t vehicle.

Paul

I don't know where that info is coming from but i think it's wrong, far as i'm aware ANY vehicle can tow ANY trailer up to the maximum total width limit (2.55m) as long as it's within the lenght/weight limits for that vehicle.

Look at the width limit for both under AND over 3.5t on this page, it's the same.

http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/law/dimensions.aspx

• We want to use our Airstream for what it was designed for and that is touring. At the moment our movements are restricted because of our lack of a suitable tow vehicle.

Paul

Oh..I was going by what you said in a later post

We need a vehicle to tow our Airstream occasionally but most of the time it will be for daily driving.

Most people use big 4x4s with extension mirrors.The problem with using a commercial van is a lot of sites will assume youre an 'undesirable' "a pikey" etc.A lot of sites dont like commercial vehicles.
    Range Rover,Discovery Toyota Landcruiser Jeep grand cherokee etc are all suitable or your daily use and towing 1800kg Airstream..you could perhaps look at an American Day Van or a Mercedes Vito or Viano too
    The vast majority of commercial 3.5ton vans are no wider than a big 4x4 unless thryve got a tipper or luton body on ,neither of which would be of use to you.

• Ideal tow vehicles are not usually ideal daily driver vehicles in my experience, one job ideally requires a largish, heavy, stable vehicle with a big torquey engine and the other wants something smaller, nimble, fuel efficient and easy to fit into a parking space.

• Touring as in going on holiday occasionally and being able to move from site to site to keep the council tax at bay

This thread has been enlightening and I have learned a lot from it. I now realise that we do not need a 3.5t vehicle and any vehicle strong enough to tow it will do. That means that if we do have to move it at the moment we can use our Delica.

I think really we will end up with a Defender as they are the only car for me if I had a choice

Thanks for all your input

Paul

• Having had both Range Rover and Discovery V8 petrol and diesel The V8's are magical to drive but sadly terrible on fuel consumption.Id opt for a Disco diesel either the 300TD or the version with the BMW 6 Cylinder diesel.You wont know tglhe Airstream is on the back and theyre economicsl for a vehicke thsts over 2 ton kerb weight.

• Bit late coming into this thread - due to inconsistant online activity :).

I must respectfully say that there seems to be a misunderstanding of the issue both from the OP (aman) and others.

It seems to me the OP is mixing weight specifications with width specs. and others have been led into mixing them.

Firstly a very brief overview of the weight; Max Wt for a ball hitch trailer fitted with hydraulic "overrun brakes" is 4000Kg (4tonnes) or with spring loaded overun brakes 3.5 tons (70cwt)

Guidance is that they (trailers) should not amount to over 80% of the towing vehicle weight. Look at the GTW (Gross Train Weight/mass) for definitive guidance on a vehcles gross design towing weight (not neccassarily gross permissable train weight/mass).

Along with the design and permissable weights you need a driving licence which allows you to drive the weight vehicle you propose.

Now the width. This is a separate consideration.

I can't provide the references off hand but you need to look in the construction and use regulations for these.

With the exception of; "dual purpose" vehicles and certain "special types" vehicles e.g. agricultural or road haulage tractors, the trailer is only allowed to be a little wider than the tow vehicle, - from memory 2.5" either side of the tow vehicle i.e. 5" wider. You will have to check this by looking in the construction and use regs.

I think this is where the confusion may come. Most 3.5tonne vehicles are indeed 7.5' or wider and thus suitable (or nearly suitable) to tow your Airstream - subject to the weight constraints.

As an anecdote sort of relevant to this: I too tow an airstream around (although not a model you would immediatly recognise as such). It is 8'4"wide. I bought it because the previous owner near Lincoln had just been fined for having an overwidth trailer behind his Landrover and he thus sold it. I tow it with a 7 1/2tonne truck which is the same width and has an 11.5tonne GTW.

An interesting point concerning this subject is that some say that hooking a trailer to a vehicle (as a trailer is defined as being the vehicle when attached) means that with some vehicles will then require a driver to have an upgraded driving licence i.e. L.G.V. However if you scrutinise the Driver and vehicle licensing regulations you will find it is clearly stated that a trailer upto 4tonnes fitted with overrun brakes does not count for this.

I'am afraid that I must apologise once again for not being able to give you the references off hand but it is general information which would be good for you to know anyway if taking to the road in the fashion you propose. I will be looking it all up again shortly after xmas as I have been requested to operate special types vehicles again for a travelling art exhibition.

• As a Ps.

I dare say that your Airstream has electric brakes and a 2" ball hitch.

I can say from experience that the electric brakes are superb and I clearly remember pulling into a layby one fine winters night to find it was covered in a thin billiard table of ice, due to passing traffic I could not pull back out and was fully expecting to come to a stop by ignominiously ploughing into the mud as I overan it. However between my ABS totally going crazy and the electric trailer brakes I was amazed to pull up in a dead straight line only halfway along it.

However electric trailer brakes do not come on progressively with a hydraulic overun and neither do they come on "propotionately and with the brake pedal" - so their is an as yet (as far as I know) untried question of their legality in the UK. Arguably for example my ABS was able to operate them in an emergency braking situation.

The 2" ball hitch is not a problem. It is entirely legal to hook them to a 50mm ball (50mm denoted by having a flat shoulder at the bottom before the pin and 2" completely globular except the shank). IT IS NOT LEGAL TO HOOK A 50MM TRAILER TO A 2" BALL.
    The 2" hitch will rattle a little on a 50mm ball but lock securely - a 50mm hitch on a 2" ball will be tight and can wrench the catch undone.

• I sgree with most of whst youve said except for the bit about most 3.5 ton vehicles being 7.5 feet wide or over...the average 3.5 tonner is around 2metres wide or 6 to 6ft 6 wide.
    Non i know to are wider than 6'6".My own LDV Convoy is almost 6ft 6 same as the Transit i had and not.much wider than my old Range Rover.Normal utility series Landrovers/Defenders are narrower.
    7.5 tonners ARE generally 7ft 6 or thereabouts,...but OP does not want a truck.

The OPs Airstream is 2.44 metres or 8' wide so if he -for arguements sake -buys a big 4x4 thsts around 6' to 6'6" wide then he will have a foot of caravan wider each side so he should not in theory be breaking the law-providing he uses mirror extensions to be able to see clearly down each side of the trailer.
    The maximum width of a towed trailer is 2.55 m
    https://www.gov.uk/towing-with…g-weight-and-width-limits
    Mirrors
    https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car/towing-equipment
    American trailers
    https://www.gov.uk/government/…lers-brakes-and-couplings

The few Airstreams ive seen on sites have been towed by Range Rovers or BMW X5 Discoveries...im sure if that was illegal they would have been informed at some point by Police.The vehicles slso seem to be the tow vehicles of choice on the Airstream uk forum.
    Im sure the OP - Aman - will clarify the legality before purchasing a vehicle anyway.

• A bit of knowledge is very useful but it has to be up to date knowledge, i think Aman was still using the older width legislation which changed in 2010 as per the link in my post.

I've recently done HGV training (not just the driving test, i did a few months of training at college to in order to get my test for free) as well as my CPC late last year so i'm fairly up to date on most things.

Even if you think you KNOW what's required best get on the relevant websites and check it yearly or so, much of this legislation is never publicised when it's changed, you are expected to keep up to date yourselves these days.