making money on the road

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• i know this has been covered a few times but i think it is interesting and informative.
    many of us would like ways of making money on the road and i have been toying with this idea for a while now.
    it is ' busking with no musical talent '
    the concept is a re-hash of an old design.... basically a street / barrel organ... ( these can be very expensive to buy and therefore impractical at money making ).. my idea is is to simply have a ' false ' organ ( no inners just a facade ).. inside a speaker a cd player and a 12volt battery..you can purchase organ music cd's very cheaply. and thats it .... simples ???
    i have looked at buying broken organs but again these can be £500 +..
    maybe just build and paint the ' front ' yourself or get someone to do it for you....
    whta do you think ??

• It`s a fake,a scam,people can often spot fakes,they are destructive,best advice is to work at what talents/skills you do have and use them honestly,that is where the true rewards lay.
    If you think(or have been told) you have no talents or skills,then take the time to learn some.
    A good life is not always easy.
    Good luck.

Peace.

• it's not a scam ! .. it's entertainment !.... there are a few models already ' mass produced ' using midi electronics instead of traditoinal paper to run the music.. .. i've just had another thought on the project.. in a variaton to ' moderise it ' .. instead of the traditional style facade.. build a small ' stage / disco ' .. using lasers , coulered LED lights ect..then you could play modern music.. it would be a bit like ' micheal bentines potty time ' but on the street.... ( this would also expand your busking time time into the night ).. and believe me ( i live in the middle of a town center... so i can see what goes on !).. night time busking is far more profitable than day time busking...

• it's not a scam ! .. it's entertainment !.... there are a few models already ' mass produced ' using midi electronics instead of traditoinal paper to run the music.. .. i've just had another thought on the project.. in a variaton to ' moderise it ' .. instead of the traditional style facade.. build a small ' stage / disco ' .. using lasers , coulered LED lights ect..then you could play modern music.. it would be a bit like ' micheal bentines potty time ' but on the street.... ( this would also expand your busking time time into the night ).. and believe me ( i live in the middle of a town center... so i can see what goes on !).. night time busking is far more profitable than day time busking...

Why not have a go at it then? you might be the next Beardy man or something (Pottyman,Crazyman).

https://www.youtube.com/user/beardyman

:)

• Post by Sootyfoot ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Post by Sootyfoot ().

• Must agree with the above. As a one off to get you out of a fix and earn you a few £ why not, but as a regular fixture I dislike the idea. Where do you draw the line, fake guitar with a speaker inside? Fake accordion? Fake Pavarotti? We'd have streets full of cd players built into all manner of things!

What about perfecting a fake act but selling it to your audience as just that? For example air guitar? Or some kind of miming, think Mr Bean's holiday.

• ... whta do you think ??

Not much. When I go into a town I usually have to decide on a budget which I know I'll be giving away to buskers and homeless people. Sadly there are always homeless people. If I'm giving to buskers I hope to see something for my money. This country has so many brilliant buskers, who have skill, talent and courage to take it to the street or who have worked on an act that is entertaining and original. I think you would have to go some way beyond just switching on your cd player to get me to part with hard-earned cash given the competition. I assume you have taken account of the costs of licenses from PRS, MCPS and/or PPL, whichever is applicable, to remunerate the people whose work you would be using in order to stay legal and to act with fairness.

Edit:
    For example, this man used backing tracks, but I had no problem sticking a fiver in his collection a couple of years ago when I saw him one evening in Cambridge.

https://youtu.be/KQAHUH5-7bU

• I usually don't give money to beggars and the only buskers I've given any money to are the pathetic looking ones.

For example a drunk homeless looking man dancing very poorly to a cheap battery radio as he was making more effort than most beggars but still looked like he could use the money (unfortunately probably on more alcohol)

Buskers with posh instruments and amplifiers get nothing from me as they look like they have more money than me.

• That's like saying you wouldn't hire a builder because you think their tools are of a too expensive brand. Surely if you make your living with your instrument this justifies having a vaguely decent one. Busking is a job, so why not do it with the correct tool.
    I understand that it's entirely your choice to give to a Busker, I just can't quite follow your logic. It seems you put buskers and beggars in the same place. I might be misunderstanding you though.

• I hope not to cause offence by not explaining myself properly but I think it's just that I don't like giving money to people who have more than me unless I am getting something that I need, want or have asked for.

I've never watched buskers perform longer than it takes me to rush past as I find crowds so stressful that if I go to a city I have to sit on my own in the dark after to recover ( I haven't been in a city for 3 years and avoid shops whenever possible) so I don't get entertained by buskers for free.

I have rarely had much money myself so I'm usually careful what I do with it so only give money away to those less fortunate than myself.

I'm not against buskers and if people want to pay them for entertainment that's great as it's probably a fun job if you enjoy crowds but if I'm not going to watch them I'd rather give whatever spare money, food or tobacco I have to people who look like they need it.

The man I said about who I gave money to for dancing was a beggar who found that entertaining the crowd by busking earned him self more money so as he was making the effort I did give him some money but due to me not explaining myself I'm not trying to say that buskers are beggars just I'm not always brilliant at explaining what I'm thinking.

• Most buskers ive known have been students or musicians /artists or hippys struggling on really low incomes.A lot of them have either been given instruments by family or friends or bought them second hand or borrowed them...The props may look expensive but dig deeper you may find a whole different story lurking underneath.
    One of my school friends was a very talented musician but being a limited highly competitive sector it took her a couple of years to land a full time job and she busked,she did well enough to pay her digs and get by.If dhe hadnt she would have had to retrain and would have been a wasted 4 years in Uni.
    If the artist/musician is good i will stick around a listen and give what i can, I do give to homeless beggars too mainly because its so very easy to end up in the same situation through changes in circumstsnces -its happened to my own life -soi wil give them what i can even if i dont have much myself..i think well it could be me sitting there freezing on a stone floor with naff all.
    Its really up to individuals choice if they give or not or care or not but it does depress me how.our culture looks down on homeless or buskers who try to make a living on the streets...ok some are scammers but most are very genuinely in need and routinely ignored or assaulted and robbed.A lot of them are just as nervous and scared as the people passing them by...it takes nothing to be kind and say hi and drop some coins in a cup....or heaven forbid, sit down and chat to them a while as ive done a few times.

• Post by NomadicRT ().

• I think youll find people will see through that fakery pretty easily and wont be inclined to give you money..though they may feel a lot more inclined to report you to the police.
    I think you need to consider the implications of your idea in your other post about playing modern music disco style....You will fall foul of Digital Rights Management and licensing required to play copyright music in a public venue(street)..these things attract big fines.

Have you any musical ability or other talents ? It doesnt take long to lesrn to play some instruments with practice.Or artistic or acrobatic talent...People tend to respond more positively to genuine talent no matter how limited your range...try it you might surprise yourself.

• I can tell the difference between an acoustic barrel organ and a barrel organ playing a cd. I'd be really disappointed if I saw one and it was churning out recorded stuff. I love barrel organs <3

• I usually don't give money to beggars and the only buskers I've given any money to are the pathetic looking ones.

For example a drunk homeless looking man dancing very poorly to a cheap battery radio as he was making more effort than most beggars but still looked like he could use the money (unfortunately probably on more alcohol)

Buskers with posh instruments and amplifiers get nothing from me as they look like they have more money than me.

Of course, we all have a choice in how we respond to what we encounter. I am not a natural exhibitionist and find the thought of busking quite torturous. I shall give it another go one day ... maybe, but in the meantime I applaud the courage of those who can do it. If they do it well, so much the better. The reason I would push myself to busk is that it would be an opportunity to rehearse in a live setting and give me a chance to practise ignoring some of the distractions that can make a live performance fall over.

If I am not in a rush I, like NomadicRT, often sit down and have a chat with someone who is asking me for money. I am generally humbled, horrified and amazed at the stories I have heard. So many of them could have been me. I could have been many of them if the cards had fallen only very slightly differently. I look at my life and think how fortunate I am. I like stories and I am happy to pay for them. I get the impression many people appreciate someone lending an ear for a few minutes. Sometimes someone's story informs a poem or a song.

• [quote='Okifolki','http://ukhippy.com/freakpower/forum/index.php?thread/&postID=1509574#post1509574']I can tell the difference between an acoustic barrel organ and a barrel organ playing a cd. I'd be really disappointed if I saw one and it was churning out recorded stuff. I love barrel organs

https://www.facebook.com/anarchophonium/?ref=br_rs

We aint acustic but I'm sure you'd smile at this. ;)

• i'm really glad i posted this thread.. the feedback has been very informative and enlightening and it has pushed me into a slightly different direction as to the one i was originally thinking of.... firstly i just thought it was a good idea to help people make some money with a relatively small outlay ( me included ).. [ totally forgot about the whole PRS thing on the modern music / disco slant... (obviously traditional ' old ' organ music has no copyright regardless of whether it is paper fed midi fed .. or cd fed )]... i have other variations on the same theme.. which don't involve PRS.. and i think this will be the way to go:thumbup:... but this involves equiptment that i already own and doesn't help anyone else make some money... :(... thanks again for all your input:clap:

• I still believe that Interenet advertising is a useful sideline, and although it is difficult to get up to speed with one or more sites, if your blog or video channel gains popularity, it can make a great deal of money.

You can start with nothing but a decent domain name, which costs a few pounds per year. You need a computer and internet access of course, but I assume all here have that.

• i need to advertise my business / shop ... people have said put it on facebook :eek:.. but i have no = idea how this works ??:eek: i have been told to create a page and then start ' liking ' everything so then the links will start networking ?????..... HEEEEEEELP.....

• Facebook pages are a good tool for sharing projects or interests or business.Personal or interest pages dont cost anything but id look into how much a business page might cost you before you go down thst root as im.not sure off hand if theyve yet introduced chsrges for business pages.
    You would post photos and comments of items for sale in your shop,on your page and hopefully people will 'like' the posts.and shsre them sround with others,hopefully then those other people will like your page and share more of your posts so you get more traffic to your psge and more attention for your business...thats basically how networking works.
    You can also use twitter to promote your business and drive people to your facebook psge or If you have a website for your business or shop you can post links on twitter and facebook to your products on your website for instance.

• i need to advertise my business / shop ... people have said put it on facebook :eek:.. but i have no = idea how this works ??:eek: i have been told to create a page and then start ' liking ' everything so then the links will start networking ?????..... HEEEEEEELP.....

Find a business like yours with a good FB page and emulate. It's a start!

• WELL !!... APPARENTLY i can sing / have a voice !!:p... been recently ' harmonising ' with my local busker and he say's he misses me when i'm not there !!... he's been doing it years and say's my voice ' covers up ' all his mistakes and when he hits a bum note he always wishes i was there to hide it ??.. lol... don't really know where this is going now ?....:rolleyes: