Anyone into cycling?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I love cycling but my dogs are too thick to run by the side of me! After falling off a few times (because of them) I've had to take up running instead. I once cycled 60 something miles without realising how far I'd gone. Music in my ears, sunshine, gorgeous Welsh countryside so I thought but I'd actually crossed the border into England :o

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up on your dreams and ideals, wrinkles the soul.

• It's cheaper to build muscles I'd only get a light bike if I was entering competitions, i have a marin shoreline trail full suspension with bomber z1 forks it weight alot but it's comfy flies downhill and I enjoy racing people uphill.
    while commuting i like overtaking roadies dressed in lycra, however painfull I find it i try to smile while peddling past to make it look easy.

To loose weight easily loose a wheel and get a unicycle

• Well, I can outrun the odd roadie (by no means all of them on my steel tourer, on the Hardtail MTB (quite light at 11ishkg) I stand no chance just because of the tyres and Crankset-Sprocket Combo which is geared for climbing. Unless the roadie is having a flat or is having a break that is.
    I reckon weight reduction, especially rotational weight (tyres and wheels) makes sense to a point, it is just nicer to ride a 10kg roadbike than it is to ride a 20kg road bike. The way it tends to get done by the average MAMIL is a somewhat more useless undertaking. Read, changing your 70ies steel wheel set and punctureproof super heavy duty hybrid tyres for an alloy XT hubbed set with some nice road semislicks is affordable and makes sense for most people, changing your aluminium handlebars for titanium ones less so even though the handlebars will likely be more expensive.
    I'm kind of considering getting a gravel bike, I reckon the difference in weight and ride geometry is noticeable on the forest tracks.

• I think cyclists often forget their own weight in the equation.People obsess about losing weight off the bike but forget theyre propelling their own weight too and how much it matters to have the right muscle mass to body weight ratio.If a cyclist is struggling with a 20lb bike then he/she needs to look at their own weight not the bike and their own overall fitness levels
    Im more interested in faultless and reliable engineering than the weight of the bike.Not much point having an ultra lightweight bike if your chain keeps coming off because of rubbish derailleurs or you bend something hitting pot holes or tree roots or brakes are useless.

Plus im.pleased to admit i own no brightly cloured cycling clothing made of lycra...i gave that up when i was 30 something..

• A 20lb bike, especially if made from steel is already really quite light. The Raleigh Team replica weighs pretty exactly that, and that's a full fledged, modernised steel racer. Old steel frames with old builds will not be in that category (professional old racing bikes will come close).

Sure ones own weight also matters, but a bike that doesn't weigh a bomb and runs nice makes the sport so much more enjoyable.

• I think cyclists often forget their own weight in the equation.People obsess about losing weight off the bike but forget theyre propelling their own weight too

I see this all the time with motorbikes.... You see a sports bike dripping with highly expensive weight saving carbon fibre goodies, and then the owner walks up and he's a total porker!

Mostly, and this goes for a lot of push bikes too, it's all about the pose value...

• I cant offhand remember what my merckx weighs but its very light.I had a lambert framed bike with lambert ali.wheels and campag gears/brakes and titanium bars that was very light.We actually did time trials on a few different frames with matching accessories gear ratios and riders and there was very little in it but that was late 70's early 80's ,cycles have changed a lot since then..even the tyres are a fraction of the weight they used to be...but then a gearset now can cost more than a complete pro bike did back in 1980.
    I got given an old British falcon 531 tubed racer not so long ago and it weirdly heavy in comparison to my others.

I like my Scott mountain bike, is very light for a beefy bike and although its got completely the wrong tyres and gearing for road use i can give the road bikes round here a run for their money.
    Im looking around at the vintsge racers on ebay,a lot are fetching stupid money but still some classic bargains about especially foreign built bikes (Italian mainly)people dont know much about.
    or never hear of.

Yes nice to ride a nicely engineered lightweight...even better they light and easy to put on roof bars :)

• My electric bike looks and feels as though it's built from girders. However once it starts rolling it's easy enough to pedal (I don't necessarily use the battery).

I like heavy vehicles, I like the way that inertia keeps them going when you get them up to speed. I used to hire a big old rowboat on the river at Durham, get it going good and fast and then glide past the skiffs being raced by students. Not only was it enormous fun, but my boat also had a picnic hamper with wine in, as well as myself.