Anyone into cycling?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I cycle everyday i only use my van for trips away or for going down to Bristol. Work is a 10 mile round trip and i also use it to go to the shops and stuff. I`ve never really decided if i love cycling or not i do it to get from a to b more than for fun. Saying that, i kinda miss it if i`ve not done it for a few days so i must at least like it :)

Cycling makes me feel good as well as being a good free mode of transportation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Yeah, I cycle a lot. I have two bikes, one a Thorn Nomad which has just done 1300km in Iceland with me and is also my general doing shopping etc Bike the other is a Whyte 905, I just acquired it and am itching to take it to the local trails. Forest of Dean trails are awesome by the way.

• This is my bike

It is a Thorn Raven. I have always wanted a Raven but there was no way I could afford one until one day when we started printing t-shirts for Thorn and the rest was history.

I love this bike. It is a part of me and is one of the few possessions I would never sell.

Paul

• Nice bike buddy I know what u mean bikes become special for som reason

• Used to ride my local track league back in the day. Was racing three or four times a week back then. Absolutely loved it. Thinking of starting up again only, this time as a veteran! 😜

• I would love to have a go at track cycling I must admit.

Bought a new pair of gloves and a new cycle jersey today as I am doing more miles now.Might see if I can give my bike a bit of a service over the weekend. I certainly have to tighten the chain

Paul

• I was very lucky and I was doing some work for a bike company who had experimented with a Rohloff equipped trike. They had a spare hanging around so I got it really cheap. Although I don't need it at the moment I will need it soon as loaded touring in Cornwall on a singlespeed is becoming tiresome

paul

• That is crazy money for the hub when you could have normal gears for a fraction of the price.
    There is a similar item available for muniunicycles that I wanted but it's £1175 so I just used my 26" municycle and got stronger so I could still go up steep hills, i was able to climb hills that lots of mountain bikers couldn't cycle up

• That is crazy money for the hub when you could have normal gears for a fraction of the price.
    There is a similar item available for muniunicycles that I wanted but it's £1175 so I just used my 26" municycle and got stronger so I could still go up steep hills, i was able to climb hills that lots of mountain bikers couldn't cycle up

Granted but I believe it is well worth the money. You are getting something that is at the zenith of engineering that give you much better gear ratios and will last a lifetime with very little maintenance.

You could buy conventional gearing but you would have to buy high end kit (Durace groupset would set you back a grand but does include brake calipers)and it would need replacing more often.

The choice is yours but I would go Rohloff every time

Paul

• At the moment i would never own a bike I would mind being stolen. Doing odd jobs and gardening especially by bike I regularly get to upgrade both bikes and parts as people have bikes in their gardens and sheds that they no longer use and let me have. They are mainly cheap bikes but are perfect for me.
    I sometimes sell but mainly give away my old bikes or bikes I am given

I think the bicycle is one of the greatest inventions ever.

figgy

• I could never spend 1000 on a groupset.

My whole bike cost me 700 17 years ago. Since then I've I've spent 300 on new suspension forks and about 500 replacing worn out wheels and the groupset.
    It has been regally maintained and stripped and rebuilt a number of times by me.
    I wish I had an odometer on it as I've done huge miles, including paper rounds when I was younger, commuting 20miles roundtrip a day for work, it been crashed, abused, jumped won me trophies in mtb races, completed the London to Brighton cycle ride.
    It's a full suspension marin so it's comfy and heavy. Potholes don't damage my wheels. I had 50mph top speed and it could cover 10 miles in 40 minutes and after a quick fag I could do the same again.
    I'm a believer that the rider is more important than the bike and with the state of British roads a mountain bike is more suitable, i once hit a pothole at 40mph (I was being overtaken by a fire engine so couldn't avoid it) on a road bike the wheels would probably have collapsed and I would have been a hospital patient if I was lucky

• I've given away my old car so now all I have is my van n [emoji605], which feels good and will make me ride my bike more.
    It's all part of my decluttering , as I only want the things I really need and that will fit in or on my camper. So looking forward to a simpler life

• I cycle quite a lot.

I have three bikes.
    My Mtb a Dawes Durango, which I use on and off the trails on the hills around me and also for the local shops if I only want a few bits and pieces, it has a carrier with a small shopping basket type cage mounted on it on the rear, so that it is narrower than me and does not get in the way if I encounter undergrowth etc. On account of this I call it my "shopping trolley". I have carried this behind the air deflector on cab rooves all over Europe. Mtb's are good and robust for this. Great to be parked in an industrial estate and be able to explore the locality.
    My Raleigh Activator - now in "trecking bike" guise. A heavy duty tourer (which really is heavy). The first Brit built mountain bike, it says handbuilt on the frame, but I think only because Jamaicans on piece work were cheaper than robots at the time. Finest quality gas pipe. Looks much like the Thorn bike of aman, only not such fine materials. I use it for serious shopping to my nearest town 8 miles away with panniers and saddle bag and do occasional long distances on it. I call it my mule. It rides quite well though.
    My Carlton Corsair. A lightweight "clubman tourer" i.e. a slightly more relaxed frame than a racing machine with mudguard clearance even with 32mm tyres, but with double butted 531 tubes for the entire frame and forks - not just the main triangle, with just fractionally thicker tube walls than an out and out racing frame. In other words the classic alround frame by no means at a disadvantage when racing if stripped of all its "bits". I do some of my shopping with this especially if longer distances are involved, I cover longer distance trips with this bike and also tend to choose it for mostly on road poking about leisure trips and light touring. I call it my dream bike. It is beautiful to ride.
    All steel frames you notice (steel is real and all that.) I like steel frames because they are lovely to ride on, Take a fifth of the energy to manufacture of aluminium, are practical and incredibly long lasting in use - my Carlton was manufactured at Carlton in 84/5 what an amazing use of human effort and endeavour and also energy. Incidentally steel can again be used to make the lightest bikes of all I noticed when checking out cycle tube manufacture, if you wish to pay around £2000/made to length tube - thats before they are assembled into a frame!

BTW to^^^ whoever said cycling is to dangerous for them; regular cyclists live on average several years longer than other people, full stop. You are slightly more likely to suffer a serious injury playing table tennis. Football and especially rugby are right near the top for sports injuries. Like pedestrians cyclists account for about 1% of all serious head injuries, people riding in motor vehicles about 5% people getting in and out of a shower or bath about 9-10%. Sitting on a sofa for long periods doing nothing more strenuous than operating a zapper is more life threatening. I probably have the references on my computer somewhere, but if you really do take risk assesment seriously probably better to find and read the research for yourself.

So yes a bit of a cycling nut really!

• I dont see anyone on this thread has said cycling is "too dangerous for them" so if the ^^^^ mean you were referring to me maybe you should go look at whst i actually wtote instead of making snidey comments.
    The fact youre more likely to get injured in other sports such as "table tennis football rugby "is irrelevant when those injuries are unikely to be life threatening -though there are very rare fatalities.
    Ive been involved in some serious accidents racing and a good friend is paralysed from the chest down after a mountain biking accident.Two pro road race competitors were killed in races this summer in Europe.Im still cycling though because ive regarded it as an occupational hazard of the sport just the same as falling in the wster or cspsizing when ive been rowing sculls or kayaking or sailing..or falling off a rockfsce when ive been abseiling...so where did i say its too dsngerous ? Ive been cycling 50 yesrs so fsr and still doing so..

Yes youre more likely to be killed as a pedestrian or car user becsuse theres only a frsction of cyclists on the rosd compared to motorists or pedestrisns who interact with the road network.
    Yes youre life expectancy 'may' be longer if you stay fitter through cycling (provided you dont get killed.or maimed).But theres no guarantee .Superfit cyclists and other athletes also seem to have the same high cancer risk as the rest of the population and just ss susceptible to type 2 diabetes and cardiac events or stroke.
    The vast majority of serious injuries and deaths not road related occur at home or workplace doing relatively ordinary things.cooking DIY climbing stairs,using tools etc etc
    Cycling still has an unacceptably high serious injury and death rate for the compaaratively and disproportionately small number of cyclists to other road users which logically makes describing it a dangerous sport an appropriate description.
    The vsst majority of cyclists carry on despite the risks but many do give it up because of the dsngers and many people wont take it up because of the perceived risks which is lamentable but quite understandable.
    I wish it wasnt the case because its an enjoyable sport but you cant convince people when the ststistics and routine news headlines of cyclist deaths,plus numerous youtube cyclist bodycsm clips of accidents theyve been involved in, are there for all to see.

Ive been a casualty of the sport and ive treated no end of cycling casualties myself in my career so ive got a pretty good first hand experience of the subject not just armchair research you just csnt quite put your hsnd on.
    I dont mind helping you out on thst score as a 'for instsnce'

http://www.rospa.com/road-safe…l-cyclists/facts-figures/

http://cyclinguphill.com/cycle-deaths-casualties-in-the-uk/

http://www.cyclinguk.org/news/…le-casualties-2013-mapped

https://data.london.gov.uk/dat…led-and-seriously-injured

https://www.gov.uk/government/…ransport/about/statistics

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik…h_a_cycling_related_death

• What we need is something to lighten existing frames. Colin Chapman (Lotus) called it "adding lightness". I suspect that I could remove quite a bit of weight from my bike, if only I knew where to start - I guess the fat rider might be the first place.

My 531 steel Peugeot and its 531 Raleigh predecessor feel pretty heavy when I'm pushing them up steep gradients.