Anybody know anything about benefits?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hiya I was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction of any help. Oh has had his licence taken off him due to black outs and heart probs. He's on SSP at moment. Is there anything else we can claim? We have 3 kids and I work 5 hrs a week as a dinner lady so don't earn much. Thanks for reading

Dawn

• Do you claim housing allowance/council tax benefit ? if not you should contact your council and claim.You used to be able to claim short term disablement allowance when SSP rsn out but the whole system has changed now so your best bet is contsct the governments benefits helpline free or as Ma said call or visit your local citizens advice bureau.

• If your only working 5 hours a week, you could claim JSA (Job Seekers Allowance.) They will pay as long as your working under 16 hours per week, and how old are your children? You may be able to claim hardship allowances! OH could potentially claim DLA?

• DLA is being phased out, new claimants have to claim PIP which is what replaced it.

• I thought PIP was the DLA for under 21's? I've been claiming since 16, and I had a friend my old place who was 50 and still on DLA, that was only a year ago? Hm..

• I thought PIP was the DLA for under 21's? I've been claiming since 16, and I had a friend my old place who was 50 and still on DLA, that was only a year ago? Hm..

I know nothing about under 21s, but anyone claiming DLA under 65 has to go over onto PIP, new claimants go straight onto PIP, if your over 65 you claim Attendance Allowance.

• If your only working 5 hours a week, you could claim JSA (Job Seekers Allowance.) They will pay as long as your working under 16 hours per week, and how old are your children? You may be able to claim hardship allowances! OH could potentially claim DLA?

But do you still have to look for a full time job whilst doing that? ie,would you have to look on the goverment website 5 hours a day to satisfy conditions for claiming JSA?

Under 16s are still on DLA, new claimants and children turning 16 go onto PIP, all adult DLA is being replaced with PIP so at some stage any adult on DLA will have to reapply. I'd advise anyone currently on DLA to start getting prepared for PIP; it's a very rigid points system that is designed to drastically reduce the numbers of people claiming disability related benefits. Incredibly high numbers of people are turned down and then get their finding over turned at tribunal (ie, it's reinstated, but you won't receive any money whilst you wait). Equally many simply don't qualify any longer; it's very focused now on physical care rather than mental health or emotional stuff so a lot of people with mental health problems and things like autism are simply being refused it; they just don't meet the criteria anymore. Others still qualify but at a much lower rate.

Not wanting to sound scary but I would put away any money you can and get a bit of a 'survival' kit going in case things don't go smoothly. When the time comes get advice on filling in the form and get on with it as quickly as possible; funding has been cut for all the various support services so getting an appointment can take ages. The descriptors are all online with the points allocated to them alongside so you can have a look to see how you would score under the new system:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.…ent-pip/pip-points-system

• Hiya thanks for your replies, we have contacted the turn to us charity who hwve pointed us in the right direction. Sorted out tax credits, applied for counciltax support. Hoping to qualify in January so more job opportunities hopefully x