Inflatable canoes

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Does anyone have any experience of decent inflatable canoes? I am experienced with regular open canoes and go regularly but was thinking of looking at inflatable one for ease of transport whilst camping on the riversides. Seyvlor seems a good brand from skirting Internet.

• Ive only ever used traditional construction canoes or kayaks, sculls.The only issues i can think of is theyll be much more susceptible to surface wind like inflatable boats are and id be bothered about how durable they are on rough shingle beach landings or in rough water if the weather suddenly turned...plus their shelf life -how long they stay looking a decent craft.
    The transportability element sounds ok but i expect theyre bulky rolled or folded up , having canoed and rowed sculls for 40+ years theyre not something id remotely consider.Rather put up with a roof rack and a solid canoe on it myself.

• I once went fishing in an inflatable with a friend....never again! it was okay until some idiot went past in a speedboat...nearly capsized us!!

• I have a Stearns Spree inflatable. It's quite decent and has had a lot of years usage. Mostly for coastal or lake use. I don't like rivers generally as they have too many sharp hazards, shingle beaches, sudden shallows over sharp stones etc.

Marion borrowed it to try out at Dovedale, and put a photo of it up in the thread.

• Yes. I had a syvlor one. It was the cheapest they did but was well designed and well made. It didn't perform very well and was shit in any wind but newer ones have a small keel at the back, a skeg really. I think they are good and upper range ones look excelent but I can't quite bring myself to either recommend them or not. That's down to you I suppose.☺

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I have managed to buy a second hand canoe from the club very cheap and good quality. It leaves me enough for a roof rack. Plenty big enough for me and all my camping gear. Looking forward to getting out in the wild.

• A lot of boat people look down their noses at "blow jobs" as these craft are known. A but cruel, but "where there is smoke..." etc, other than the risk of puncture, the problem I see with all inflatables not having a powerful engine is that they will be blown about all over the place in anything more than a light breeze, maybe an experienced user can put me straight on that. And of course, boats with engines aka "stink boats" need a pretty good excuse.

Yep, a lot of opinionated tosh but I have a nautical leaning which I must indulge from time to time.

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I have managed to buy a second hand canoe from the club very cheap and good quality. It leaves me enough for a roof rack. Plenty big enough for me and all my camping gear. Looking forward to getting out in the wild.

So did you get a rigid one then?

• Inflables are sometimes a.convenient boat from the weight perspective,ive had two.a zodiacs- full inflable i used as a tender mostly and a semi rigid- but i prefer wooden or glassfibre boats and thst goes for canoes too.Having looked at whats avsilable now compared to a while ago theres plenty of choice and mostly affordable for most people.Id still.prefer a solid canoe or kayak.
    A lot of people in the boating world or out of it hate wooden boats but for me thsts part of the joy of boating having something thats functional but also beautifully crafted...a drain on the wallet too but then so is a car .
    Glad youve got yourself sorted.