Eat your buns out McDonaldsI

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I don't know why I'm having to justify myself here. It costs me less to use the WiFi in McDonalds than in the library, this is because I have to pay for parking to use the library. Also, the library blocks a number of useful programs/sites. I can't run Bitcoin core, or download YouTube videos for example. Plus I get a couple of cups of coffee or tea included at McD.

• If we all did stuff the same it'd be a dull old world :-)

Quite, I think being a vegetarian is a bad decision, but I respect the motives and the research that results in people making that lifestyle choice.

And as for people accusing me of over-spending, when they admit they shop at Tesco, well I think they need to step back, and do a bit of research.

• Personally even on the skint budget im on i wouldnt buy cheap tesco bacon thats full of nitrates and sulphites and comes from industrialised farms.Same goes for bread..id rather not bother with either.I tend to pop into shops and pick up the better products that have been slashed in price because of 'best before'dates which still keep for a few days and more nutritious and taste better.I ask round farm shops if they have stuff they cant display for quality reasons,i tell them i want it for my livestock lol and i usually come out of places with a sack of fruit and veg sometimes cheese and bread for a couple of squid and sort through it for the best items.The wildlife has the things im not interested in or think might be iffy.
    So with what ive saved i can afford to go do something interesting,buy from the armysurplus warehouse or buy books 2nd hand or browse charity shops for goodies....and importantly put diesel in the van.

Ok yes i shop in waitrose a lot where i am located presently but stuff i buy in there is cheaper than morrisons and better quality,the only other choice is the well over priced co-op and you dont get much cheap there as it sells out in a flash on a when its gone its gone basis.Ive got a long run to other shops like lidl or aldi or sainsburys...tesco or asda too and the latter two i wouldnt give buttons for any of their fresh stuff.
    I dont doubt we can all save to the max and do stuff differently sometimes and occassionally we do things that seem illogical to others but the main point we live like some of us do is we enjoy it and being on a tight budget makes us inventive and weigh up what we're getting for the money.If you feel youre living a reasonable quality of life with some ethics attached thats great...thats always my priority.
    People in general waste a lot of food because they dont have to think much for themselves about it, they just fill the trolley and pay.

I think its probably easier in Europe especially Southern Europe to pick up quality food pretty cheaply than in the UK as theyre not dominated by the shitfood industries that have a monopoly here and so eat really well but i dont think most of us do too badly in the UK given the way things are.

So long as youre happy doing what you are thats all thats really relevant.

My only criticism ill level at people is supporting the likes of McDs and the industrialised shitfood corporates but its still their choice to use them -not mine -to make.

The big problem we have here mainly is that people want top quality tasty food produce but wont pay for it.Theyll pay astronomical sums of money for designer ware theyll chuck in the trash in a few weeks thats been made in a sweat shop but wont pay for organically ethically produced food.They carry on supporting the garbagefood industries...somewhat hypocritical.Just because your income is poor doesnt mean you have to eat cheaply produced trash.

• Nobody is asking anybody to justify themselves. This is a forum, the idea being to allow the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. By participating in a discussion, whether one you started of not you must accept that people will have different points of view.
    I disagree with some of the things i have read on this site, but i would still defend the posters right to say it.

There was a fine example recently of someone who posted on here and was given some good advice. He was unable to take it and spat his dummy out and left.

Im sure its nothing personal, certainly not in my case, but when you put opinions out there then be prepared to get one back.

• Hey nomadic, you're starting to sound like me. I agree with most of what you say apart from the bit about people wanting top quality, but not wanting to pay for it. I think most people now don't want top quality, and if they won the lottery, they would buy the most expensive, and not the best.

• Nobody is asking anybody to justify themselves. This is a forum, the idea being to allow the free exchange of thoughts and ideas. By participating in a discussion, whether one you started of not you must accept that people will have different points of view.
    I disagree with some of the things i have read on this site, but i would still defend the posters right to say it.

There was a fine example recently of someone who posted on here and was given some good advice. He was unable to take it and spat his dummy out and left.

Im sure its nothing personal, certainly not in my case, but when you put opinions out there then be prepared to get one back.

No agreed...i wouldnt expect people to have to,I wouldnt myselg and the post ive written just, isnt aimed at anyone ive just made some comments about how i go along and other general obs...but I think there is a tendency sometimes for people to be pressured or feel pressured into justifying the way they live or the money they spend or who thry buy from.I think a lot of it is just banter and leg pulling but some of it (not this thread per se) is ridicule and humiliation for quite trivial matters.
    I dont think anyone here goes out of their way to be deliberately offensive.....and the most sensible option is the ignore user button if someone cant cope with a persons views rather than deprive themselves of a valuable chat asset and flounce off in a huff.

• Personally i wouldnt use the ignore user button, as there could be someone you disagree with 99% of the time but there could be one valuable nugget that you miss.
    The problem with forums is that the written post doesnt convey the whole story. Also, like you say sarcasm and humour doesnt translate when written.

• Hey nomadic, you're starting to sound like me. I agree with most of what you say apart from the bit about people wanting top quality, but not wanting to pay for it. I think most people now don't want top quality, and if they won the lottery, they would buy the most expensive, and not the best.

To be honest without being derogatory or pompous i don't think many people have a clue what is quality and what the difference is between quality and expensive.
    Thats mainly down to media and marketing and people lacking any sense to see beyond the pretty pictures and soundbites and educate themselves about a product before making an informed choice...not simply following the herd or fashion trend.

• It is admittedly easier to eat quality here than the uk, a full 4 course lunch meal in my Fave restaurant is 12 euro plus the tip, wine and coffee included, all proper cooked food from the market, I do not have to eat anything else the rest of the day. Sadly the restaurant has now been sold, no idea yet what the new owners are like.

Same in McDos is 8 euro and full of sugar, fat, salt and MSG. Plus you sit down on a plastic table on uncomfortable seats and eat out of a paper bag with your fingers. The msg leaves you still hungry, portions are tiny, noisy at meal times and the ambience of the place is revolting. I am not going to go near how awful the meat looks.

McDonald's have clean loos as a rule, and I liked their coffee until they put the price up, I cannot think of another reason to step through the door. If you have kids it is a different story.

A little quality in life is nice, But McDonald's is neither quality nor nice ( nor fast in France) . and a 4 quid for rasher of bacon in a bap is ridiculous. Simple rule I have, never pay to eat unless you get a knife, fork and plate, with a waitress to bring the food to the table. Slow food, relish it, José Bové is my hero, I met him once at a protest near Millau.

otherwise you might as well take a homemade sandwich to the library for the free wifi.

No, no one has to justify themselves, doesn't stop me thinking people are weird for the choices they make though.

• And as for people accusing me of over-spending, when they admit they shop at Tesco, well I think they need to step back, and do a bit of research.

needs must old boy, its the nearest(50 mile round trip) "big" supermarket(and its quite a small one compared with some) to where I live, we don't have the option of choice out in the sticks.

• Well, I'm not too bothered. I enjoyed my bun, and I'll certainly go there again. I'll also try to find out where they buy the bacon and buns so that I can cook it myself.

I can understand people attacking me because they can't afford to buy one, but then they may go out and pay more for a pack of cigarettes to burn.

• Personally i wouldnt use the ignore user button, as there could be someone you disagree with 99% of the time but there could be one valuable nugget that you miss.
    The problem with forums is that the written post doesnt convey the whole story. Also, like you say sarcasm and humour doesnt translate when written.

Again agreed..there are a couple of people i could easily ignore for the utter drivel they post or trolling they do but as you say sometimes gold nuggats tumble out of the garbage.
    Humour and wit is hard to convey without coming across as annoying or offensive...You really need to weigh up peoples humour bypass level before saying much too dark or deep or run the risk of offending.'If youve nothing to say,say nothing' approach holds true.

• we each make our choices what we spend our money on, our largest expense is probably petrol but then our hobby is going to markets and car boots so that is what we spend our money on, our food bill is very low compared to the average family.

• How are you doing at car boots now Hagrid. I'm talking to a friend at the moment, and he said that he only took £2 on Sunday. Not even enough to cover the pitch fee. He usually shows a useful profit, but not over the last few weeks.

• Where i lived not far from here i used to rear rare breed organic chickens turkeys ducks etc and sell the free range eggs in the local shops i was registered with DEFRA so all above board.Even buying best feed bulk i could not sell eggs cheaper than £2 a half dozen.Everyone thought they were delicious and bought regularly but always moaned about the price.When i packed up they wrote letters to me complaining about me giving up even though i was making no money from it.Chief moaners the RangeRover Audi BMW Jag owning set.
    Free range chickens i could not sell for less than £16 at break even cost as it cost that much to get them to weight.People want them ..oh yes they must have them..but want to pay Tesco prices."I can get a free range chicken from Tesco with stuffing for £4".. while wearing a £200 suit and £100 shirt and £250 Italian shoes...go figure...All image and no substance most people are.Majority of British wouldnt know quality if it smacked them in the face.

• People pay £1,000 for suits with 3 buttons on the cuffs. Tradition says that servants have 3 buttons, but gentlemen have 4. I have been known to point this out to people if they get too arrogant. :)

Whatever happened to what I call scratchabout chickens. My mother used to keep them, and they got a load of scraps, but I don't remember her buying specific food for them.

I saw a notice outside Waitrose regarding their chickens. They said that their freerange chickens were fed on omega3 enriched food. That brought home to me that these higher priced chickens are still being fed with manufactured food,rather than natural stuff.

• Where i lived not far from here i used to rear rare breed organic chickens turkeys ducks etc and sell the free range eggs in the local shops i was registered with DEFRA so all above board.Even buying best feed bulk i could not sell eggs cheaper than £2 a half dozen.Everyone thought they were delicious and bought regularly but always moaned about the price.When i packed up they wrote letters to me complaining about me giving up even though i was making no money from it.Chief moaners the RangeRover Audi BMW Jag owning set.
    Free range chickens i could not sell for less than £16 at break even cost as it cost that much to get them to weight.People want them ..oh yes they must have them..but want to pay Tesco prices."I can get a free range chicken from Tesco with stuffing for £4".. while wearing a £200 suit and £100 shirt and £250 Italian shoes...go figure...All image and no substance most people are.Majority of British wouldnt know quality if it smacked them in the face.

while wearing a £200 suit and £100 shirt and £250 Italian shoes...go figure..

Credit cards maxxed to the limit (£200 is a *cheap* suit)

• while wearing a £200 suit and £100 shirt and £250 Italian shoes...go figure..

Credit cards maxxed to the limit (£200 is a *cheap* suit)

It is cheap for suits even work suits but im guessing like most it will be worn for a month or two then chucked...like t shirts are...youre right about the cards too...its not real money and its the bank's money so spend spend spend....idiots.

• I wombled two Pierre Cardin suits a few weeks ago. I gave them to the lad in the van. No idea where he will wear them. :)
    They look nice, but were probably made is a sweatshop in Sri Lanka

Tell him to wear one of them suits down the job centre, I used to borrow my mate's Porsche to sign on years ago :hippy: