Eat your buns out McDonaldsI

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I love this nomadic living. I've just found a new "office". It's a country tea room, and the WiFi is 3 times the speed of McD (according to the Bitcoin core network analyser). I'm drinking Earl Grey tea served in a teapot, and I'm sitting at a pine table with a couple of 13amp power sockets next to me. Next to me, I've got a courgette cake on a plate with a picture of a robin on it (the plate of course).
    Whoops! I did have, the robin seems to have eaten it. Obviously I need to post faster if I'm not on my own. :)

Lovely view out of the window as well, but it is a tad more expensive than you-know-where. :)

• They've got herbal teas, and Westons Cider.

They've also got bacon and egg baps for £4.80 - that frightened a cheapskate like me. :)

This is a great idea. They have a "babycino" for the kids - warm frothy milk with cocoa on top.

I'd better take some pics.

• now that's better than McDonalds, all that fast food crap will give you cancer.

• Apart from the price it sounds nice..are they bigger portions ? reminds of the old cafes you used to see dotted about everywhere in the countryside once and the food was always fabulous.

Babycino lol ...easier than latte al cioccolato per bambini i guess

• It's no good, I had to test the bacon butty for Miss-Terry. I left out the egg because I've got an egg based layby breakfast to post. That saved me 80p. :) I got a free hot water top up for the tea as well.

• £4 is half my weeks food bill :) but its nice to have a change. I used to like littlechef breakfasts you used to get a lot but the price is silly now, £8 i think.
    If im out and about i may go in transports the food is better even if the surroundings arent so pretty.You cant beat your own food cooked on a fire though.

• Here is the McDonalds equivalent, but with an egg. It costs £1.99 if you buy it on its own. The bacon isn't usually as large as this, I think this piece should have been part of some other item. The standard portion seems to be a couple of quite small pieces. Coffee is not included of course.

• Here is the McDonalds equivalent, but with an egg. It costs £1.99 if you buy it on its own. The bacon isn't usually as large as this, I think this piece should have been part of some other item. The standard portion seems to be a couple of quite small pieces. Coffee is not included of course.

I would

• There is a massive difference between the taste of the posh one, and the McDonalds one. I think the posh one is healthier as well, so it is probably worth the extra money. The McD one tasted greasy, even though they use oil.

• 1 pack of bacon, 1 pack buns less than £4
    Cook them up yourself, the view and the company will be better.

Why do you kep eating that shit, you keep telling us how bad it is for you?

you can get a pack of "cooking" bacon in Tesco's for 60p, guess what i'm having for lunch? yep bacon sarnie.

• OK - guys. here are some points.

Sainsbury's cooking bacon is better value, and better quality than Tesco.

Working in the van is really difficult for me. I like to spread out over the table.

As you guys know, I do cook breakfast in the layby, and I try to use quality products

I don't buy McD burgers or chicken products unless I am getting info for Miss-Terry.

I'm saving so much by living in the van and buying end of day from Waitrose and M&S, that I can afford to spend £4 on a high quality bacon bap that i can eat in a pleasant relaxed atmosphere with WiFi that is 3 times faster than McD.

• You may save living in the van, but your priorities seem screwed, you really need more space, in other words, a bigger van, than spending 4 or 5 quid buying tea and a bun ( real value 30p max) just to get half an hours free wifi, libraries wifi is also free and you have space to sit down and spread out too. Or buy a good 3G plan and a fold up table.

I have been living on the road since I was a teenager, My grandkids are almost teenagers now, all I know, spending so much on over priced crap for free wifi really makes no sense to me at all in this day and age of easy wifi connections all over the place. Even years ago when wifi wasn't so prevalent, Internet cafes were better value for money.

Doing it because you enjoy cafe culture or eating fried fat and MSG is a different reason, one you have yet to mention.

• I think I've got my priorities pretty well sorted. I enjoy this life, and I enjoy a taste of luxury now and again. I've bought Cheval Blanc wine in the past - look up the price of that if you want a shock. A lot of people here seem to suggest going to over-priced Tesco, and I think much of their stuff is on a par with McD.

Yes, I need a larger van, and I expect I'll get round to sorting one out when I've decided on a parking policy. With regard to wasting money, how many people here smoke - what a waste that is just to screw up your health. I won't even go down the drugs path, recreational or prescription.

I'm 74, and I have no health problems, and I don't take any medication, not even indigestion tablets. I've got no debts, and I spend less than my modest income. I think I must be doing something right. :)