Ok, so I ditched my office job :)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Oh, yes, thank you.

I am loving every minute of it. I've lost my commission for a monthly article for a Scottish TV station, but I can make some extra money by covering holidays and stuff, which is like paid holidays for me:

tomorrow I am going to Campbelltown.

Few weeks back I was going to Mallaig and Ardnamurchan.

Before that I spent week in Lochals, B&B paid by my boss.

Some time earlier I went for Outer Hebrides...

And still I have much more time to do my other stuff than when I was working in the office ;-)

• I envy some of you for leaving your jobs for better things, you are lucky folk. I am hoping to do the same, I am a miserable public sector worker trying to escape, every day is just a drag and it grinds me down. Would love to work outdoors or in a zoo or something, or just somewhere where people are a bit nicer. :)

• I envy some of you for leaving your jobs for better things, you are lucky folk. I am hoping to do the same, I am a miserable public sector worker trying to escape, every day is just a drag and it grinds me down. Would love to work outdoors or in a zoo or something, or just somewhere where people are a bit nicer. :)

I so much sympathise with that rhythm. I worked in graphics / design and product development for nigh on 3o years. Sounds fun, but it was no more fun than any other mainstream job. Under the cosh, battered by hierarchies, shit management, manipulative, devious and vicious co-workers, sales and marketing bastards and bitches - the fucking pits. No better anywhahhhhhere else...imagine working in the customer service sector, checkout, sales assist - having to swallow abuse every day - no no no "commerce" is just bad bad fuckery.

Anyway, persisting in towing the line for all those years, being insulted, attacked, humiliated, sacked (on multiple occasions) for insubordination and borderline personality disorder, bipolar, fury and throwing myself against the same wall again and again....................finally my body gave out and said fuck it..............so I am having to look for alternative survival models.....it's evolve or literally die.

So - have a good look around sweet heart - see if there might be ways off the beach.....best of luck xxx

• Oh, yes, thank you.

I am loving every minute of it. I've lost my commission for a monthly article for a Scottish TV station, but I can make some extra money by covering holidays and stuff, which is like paid holidays for me: tomorrow I am going to Campbelltown. Few weeks back I was going to Mallaig and Ardnamurchan. Before that I spent week in Lochals, B&B paid by my boss. Some time earlier I went for Outer Hebrides...

And still I have much more time to do my other stuff than when I was working in the office ;-)

Fab Orys - some of my happiest times were "North of the Border" - love the celtic lands and their peeps........and the highlands and islands - heaven for me, land of spirit, legend, love, ancient roots and potential for bliss in amongst all the pain........what is the work you actually do ?

• I did an office job in London for about two decades. Sometimes it was OK, but mostly awful. I wish I'd had the courage and imagination - and knowledge - to leave and do something different. I did train for a qualification in the holistic world but it was hard to make a living out of it (rent, food, travel). Currently unemployed as too ill to work. I hope things are turning out well for the original poster.

Me too Maggie - mainstream makes sensitive people mad, bad or chronically ill I reckon..........but we will find new ways of proving our value to the world.......don't give in or give up babe - light must emerge.

Big Love xxx

• The problem with me is that the company I work for get their pound of flesh, so by the time i've done 48 hours I am shattered.

Friday afternoon, dark and cold doesn't bother me, but summer, sun and blue skies are a killer for me.

Petew - you're obviously a New Age dude. Yeah, this summer with sun and blue skies is the first in 20 odd years I had time to feel the wind on my face and the sun on my skin.............too many decades spent in corporate/commercial purgatory - the bastards ate my life.
    Must be other routes man, before it's too late and the lights go out...........................dream you some dreams sweet heart and don't give yourself over any more......they don't deserve you xxx

• I worked for the same company for 11 years, went from junior clerk to wages clerk to bookkeeper to office manager, then was made redundant when they closed the office, eventually after a succession of similar short term jobs and periods of unemployment I went self employed as a freelance gardener, I enjoyed every minute of it, never made lots of money but it was a pleasure to be out in the open air after all those years inside. eventually I had to give it up when my marriage collapsed and I moved into a bed sit, but it was good times.

Hope you're o.k. Hagrid - when I joined UKH I noticed a real lot of "jovial" piss taking going on, which because new to me, I didn't realise how damaging it can be..........think I had a poke at one of your posts too (being a wanker as well). Anyway....sorry man, if I added any to your sense of disenchantment wit the human race............Wishing you well, happy, loved etc etc
    xxx

• I so much sympathise with that rhythm. I worked in graphics / design and product development for nigh on 3o years. Sounds fun, but it was no more fun than any other mainstream job. Under the cosh, battered by hierarchies, shit management, manipulative, devious and vicious co-workers, sales and marketing bastards and bitches - the fucking pits. No better anywhahhhhhere else...imagine working in the customer service sector, checkout, sales assist - having to swallow abuse every day - no no no "commerce" is just bad bad fuckery.

Anyway, persisting in towing the line for all those years, being insulted, attacked, humiliated, sacked (on multiple occasions) for insubordination and borderline personality disorder, bipolar, fury and throwing myself against the same wall again and again....................finally my body gave out and said fuck it..............so I am having to look for alternative survival models.....it's evolve or literally die.

So - have a good look around sweet heart - see if there might be ways off the beach.....best of luck xxx

Out of curiosity, did you ever have to explain to other employers about getting sacked, how did you get around it. A lot of employers always ask for references from previous ones, just wondering how one gets around that sort of thing :)

• Out of curiosity, did you ever have to explain to other employers about getting sacked, how did you get around it. A lot of employers always ask for references from previous ones, just wondering how one gets around that sort of thing :)

Well it's kinda weird.....I call it creative CV management. I always had made enough of an effort with most employers to get a fair reference - because I worked my ass off above and beyond the call of duty so to speak - so I just put them on my CV and just removed the wankers that did me wrong......took the power away from them.......they did me enough damage, why should they do me more.

I could go into details but it's real boring to be honest. You can fudge around and over things and make your CV look fine - I have no problem with that.....life's a bitch - I spent too many precious years always being a good little girl and telling every last truth - all it did was give people who had no right, the ammo to take shots at me......so I just don't do it any more.

Anyway - that was then......at the moment I can do fuck all because of the state of my body and mind - but I'll be back - with new strategies :0)

All the best sweetie, like I say I just feel deeply for every person who is stuck "working for the man, and his smug bitch of a wife and their spoiled entitled offspring" ... me, bitter......o.k. I am bloody angry, but that can be quite a useful power supply unit :D
    onwards and sideways.......but not spiralling downwards anymore...

• Hope you're o.k. Hagrid - when I joined UKH I noticed a real lot of "jovial" piss taking going on, which because new to me, I didn't realise how damaging it can be..........think I had a poke at one of your posts too (being a wanker as well). Anyway....sorry man, if I added any to your sense of disenchantment wit the human race............Wishing you well, happy, loved etc etc
    xxx

I don't think the Haggers is on here anymore, I think he has gone. :beam:

• It's great hearing about other people who've shrugged off the bull of "normal" life. I did some volunteering at one of the most beautiful nature reserves ever... all day surrounded by flowers, trees and sky!! Hardly any people either. Started a part time job in a hotel now because I need some dosh but I've still got enough time to do my pet sitting and life modelling which I get paid for. Hoping to do more Reserve work in the future, though! Good luck everyone do what you love and have faith in yourselves xx

• I needed to read this.
    I ditched my job a couple of weeks ago and have been experiencing some mixed feelings about my decision.
    I was a stay at home mom for 3 years, all by myself in a country I've never been before. I've always loved crafting my own art and driving around Scotland wows me everytime. I felt so empowered when I got a job in a bank. Thinking that would make me somehow better than What I was before. Boy was I wrong.

The lack of empathy, office drama, the looks, the gossip, the corruption, the disrespect... It was just too much.
    I cried every morning on my way to work because I could feel all that negativity in my heart. So after taking all of the holidays I Had visiting my family back home, I decided to just get rid of that miserable job on my first day back.

Some days I feel worried about money, others about what will others think of me.
    But there's not one day where I don't feel free and relieved.

I'm so glad you found something you love doing that is fulfilling your true self.

• Fair play to you my friend, a brave thing to do but like someone else mentioned there is more to life than money.

Lost my job due to a health issue which led to a epilepsy diagnosis so didn't have much choice! Stupidly when we claimed for benefits we ended up with the same money coming in as I got working a 40 hour week! That amazes me as it gives no incentive to anyone.

Not being able to drive anymore and not being able to travel far I stayed at home for a while, but started going a bit doo lally so I volunteered for a mental health charity helping out on courses for anxiety/depression/anger/mindfulness/Yoga a long with starting a support group and I absolutely love it more than any paid work I have ever done so threw myself into it.

And out of the blue the tutor pulled me aside and said she has got me an interview at a local wellbeing college (which is tomorrow arrgghh) doing the same as I am already doing but getting paid for it plus will be put on a teaching course so eventually run the courses myself which will double my hourly rate. Will only be doing 3 courses a week so only 9 hours as each course 3 hour sessions over 12 weeks. So sometimes what you think is the worst thing that can happen turns out to be another door to something better.

Good luck my brother in your new job

Namaste

• Now on 8 hour shifts, 5 days a week 6AM to 2PM.
    Less money as i am loosing 6 hours a week pay, but quite a few of my debts have been paid so i can live with it.
    Got some travel plans over the next 12 months and hope to have a few months off next summer before finding a better quality of lifestyle / work. So no new car or TV but i hope to have a better more healthy life.

Slowly but surely getting there and every day is a day closer to telling my arse wipe of a boss to go do one.

• Good for you Orys! Like they say, a change is as good as a rest!

I once resigned from an office IT job with nothing else lined up. Cos the job was not the one I was intereviewed for, I was over-worked, under-valued and working wiith some right nasty pieces of work which left me really hating the job!

So I went back-packing and camping around Scotland for a month! What a great experience it was and left me with some fantastic memories that I will always treasure.

After that; I went home & studied more IT. Then I got a freelancing IT job and did various contracts over the years.

So the change worked out well for me despite the initial worries whether I had done the right thing!

Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

• Well, it has been a year since, and I never looked back.

I've lost my side kick freelancing commission, but I can always get some extra hours in my current work if I need, so moneywise I am still about the same, if not better.

On the other hand, all money that I've been saving towards buying a van and making it into camping are now gone: thanks to all this Brexit malarkie, pound is so cheap, that half of Poland came to visit - family, friends... At some point I thought that I should install revolving doors.

Of course they all want to be taken to Highlands, so I had to buy bigger tent, a roofbox to my car, some extra camping gear and so on... And thanks to the fact that I only work wednesday to friday on most weeks, I spend the whole summer either driving truck in Highlands or camping in HIghlands with my car :). Some of my family members even joined me for a few days when I was on secondment working from Skye. And I've been also on holidays in Poland where, for the first time in years, I did not told most of my friends that I am coming, so I had plenty of time to myself and my family, instead of running from one meeting to another :)

But I have to say I got a bit tired, as over the summer I barely slept in my own bed - it was either in the truck, or in a tent, or away in Poland...

So the bottom line is for the whole job changing thing after a year is: money could be better, but I am not worse of than I was in that dull office job. Everything else is fantastic and priceless. I already know that I am not going to live this place for a long time, unless I will be able to make a living solely from writing :)

Suprisingly I even managed to connect the two things and I sold this three-piece reportage to a Polish trucking magazine:
    http://orynski.eu/a-different-kind-of-haulage-company/
    http://orynski.eu/over-the-hills-and-far-away/
    http://orynski.eu/driving-lorry-on-atlantic/

So I am looking forward for what is to come next. But I am not trying hard - I am still relaxed and just enjoying the days coming by, trying to get some more writing done when I feel like it.

• Regarding the main subject, I'm planning to do the same. I work as a Digital Marketing Lead for a big beauty company in the UK. I enjoy it and hate it in the same time. I get to do what I love, which is marketing, photography and film production, but I also work with incompetents, people with no experience in what they do, given big responsibilities while dragging the company into the ground. "That'll do" has become a benchmark for their work and a new standard into the company. In the past I have worked as a fashion photographer for fashion brands that got me new contracts with FHM and MTV in my country, so the work standard was very high. The same high work standard I've brought into this company, but now.... a freshly employed noob has taken over the media department, and for them, taking a blurry photo with a crappy camera is acceptable, which makes me sad and disgusted. My new line manager has just passed her manager courses at Uni and manages 6 people with no experience. Imagine that, working under someone with no experience and having your intelligence and creativity dumbed down so you can match the level.

So, future plans, I have a very high appeal into becoming a truck driver. Like the OP said, driving, seeing new places, meeting new people, listening to podcasts and learning new things is really what I would enjoy. Combined with photography and drone filming, I think it would be ideal. What do you think?

• I am not trying to play you down, but I want to give you honest advice, so your make your choices based on a realistic expectations.

I am very lucky that I work where I work - but I know the company for more than a decade, and I have years of driving experience. Those two factors combined with a bit of luck resulted in that when they were looking for a driver, I just gave them a call and I was in.

This job is one in a kind, this is one of the most fantastic driving jobs one could have, but there is very few jobs like that.

If you have no prior experience in driving trucks, you won't be able to be a chooser. You will have to start from the bottom. And most of the driving jobs nowadays are some 0 hour agency contracts in shop deliveries and stuff. You will spend your days either dealing with the incompetent clerk in distribution centre, who treat you like a scum and have absolutely no respect to you as a driver, or shifting faulty cages on the back of a local Costcutter in some shaddy housing estate.

I am not saying it is all bad, every job has it's good moments, I know, I've been agency driver for years. But if you hope that you will just get job like mine, the chances of that will be very slim, say one in a 1000 (slightly better if you would live somewhere rural like Highlands or central Wales). It's just a pure market demand - it is really cool to drive in Scottish Highlands, but unlike London, or some industrial area, there is very little demand for trucks up there. Just enough to say that after a year in that job, I can easily say that I wave to about 50% of lorries that I meet from Loch Lomond upwards, as they are all familiar faces to me already. There will be hundreds, if not thousands times more lorries that deliver to London or Birmingham than to Malaig (where I am going tomorrow). You get the picture.

The other fantastic driving job I had in the past was European Driving. But here again, this nearly dried out due to influx of Eastern European trucking companies, that are usually cheaper and better. British industry struggle to compete, and most of the EU traffic coming out from EU nowadays is fridges, which means they just go to pick up tomatoes and mushrooms from Holland or Spain... That would mean grinding on roughly the same routes, rarely leaving motorway, spending your nights at the motorway service areas and visiting mostly big, metal warehouses in the middle of nowhere.

You have also to remember, that driving a truck limits your options greatly. It is hard to find a scenic place, where you will be allowed to take truck in and park there, and which happen to be roughly where you need to take your break (as you have to remember, that your working day will be regulated by a machine :-)). It's not that I just drive whenever I like and stop whenever I like to take nice pictures. I am just lucky to be driving in Scottish Highlands, and simply it is usually beautiful whenever my job happens to take me.

It might be hard to coordinate your day in such a way, that you would find some nice spot to do your photography and drone filming in good light. And possibly, you might be too knackered to do anything, but just go to bed.

So after feeding you with all those negatives, the positives: you are on your own, you are spending most of your day driving around, looking out of window and listening to audiobooks. The boss is not sitting on your shoulder, and you got a certain degree of freedom. Even if your supervisor is an idiot, you will only see him when you leave and when you come back. And if he is not around, you can always blame everything on him, as he is not there to do the same to you :)

I still think that truck driving is a good job, at least for some time, but you have to be realistic.

If your approach is: I am ditching my job, and I am to become a truck driver, to seek new challenges, have some time to myself and get away from it all - then, yes, this is a good approach, you will find it interesting at least for first few years and I would encourage you to do it.

But if your approach is: wow, this guy drives around in the most scenic places in the UK and takes nice pictures, I want to do the same so I will ditch my job, get a truck and drive around, stopping for photoshots and drone filming when I feel like then I am afraid, it might not happen.

You might want to read a reportage about what it means to be a trucker nowadays, I published it a couple of years ago, and it had very positive comments from truckers, who considered it to be a valid picture: http://orynski.eu/closely-watched-trucks/

So TL;DR is: I am not discouraging you from doing that, but do your research and have realistic expectations, so you won't end up disappointed :)