Contemplating what it would be like to live in a van....

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• "rednecks" or "straights" always seem to have a problem understanding anything "alternative".
    take my brother in law for instance "mr financial advisor" his attitude to anything alternative is to get out his shotgun! or so he says.

That's quite funny Hagrid, you reminded me of something my son said to me the other week in an email -

' But If I was 51 and living in a van I would want somebody to tell me to pull my act together and sort my life out'

I love my son, but sometimes he just doesn't get me, well most of the time actually :insane::pp

• Its because the majority population are so mentally conditioned and groomed to 'fit in' and be 'normal' (whatever that is ) that anyone who chooses to live an alternative lifestyle is perceived as having had some kind of nervous breakdown,a freeloader or a direct threat to them and their lifestyle.
    What they dont like is having their own weaknesses flagged up and waved in their face -thst they lack the guts to do anything to break free themselves and be different to the rest of the sheep.
    Im perfectly happy as i am being a 'threat' and that our lifestyle makes them feel uncomfortable.It might help them consider who is the mug living the way they do.

• What they dont like is having their own weaknesses flagged up and waved in their face -thst they lack the guts to do anything to break free themselves and be different to the rest of the sheep.

It might help them consider who is the mug living the way they do.

I know it's a bit different but this reminds me of my approach to the opposite sex: I just get on with my life, ensuring both I and my life are as attractive and interesting as possible, and wait for the "sheep'" to break their programming and declare an interest.

Most "lack the guts", but each time a woman has taken the initiative has resulted in a lasting relationship. That's the way I work.

Therefore I wonder if our approach to 'straight' society should be viewed as attracting a member of the opposite sex..?

• you might be suprised to find out that not all the people who live in houses are sheep an cannot think for them selfs never lived in a van full time dont want to i like living in a brick shell its sounding like some higher being know the true meaning of life because they live in a van each to their own

• Have some respect for your fellow humans, Nomadic. They will give it back, trust me.

If you want to quote me quote me properly, not out of context..i was responding to DollyBasset and the derogatory comments her son made to her about her ifestyle choice (which are a pretty common attitude from.people who live in houses towards those of us who dont live in houses either out of choice or circumstsnces)

• you might be suprised to find out that not all the people who live in houses are sheep an cannot think for them selfs never lived in a van full time dont want to i like living in a brick shell its sounding like some higher being know the true meaning of life because they live in a van each to their own

Mate i could give a fuck how people choose to live or what in...what fucking pisses me off is people looking down their noses at people who live on the road -whether its us hippys in vans or the gypsy/traveller community.Or people who choose to build low impact houses who get hounded out by local residents and planning department's for daring to try to live.differently.

The majority of people in the UK seem to think because you choose to live in a van or caravan or a mud and strawbale house and not tied to rents or mortgages and a work hamster wheel like they themselves are tied to, youre some kind of freak or freeloading scumbag who needs to be run off the road or have his mudhouse demolished and thrown into jail.
    Its got fuck all to do with.higher beings or special knowledge its called living how you choose to not how youre expected to.

• Mate i could give a fuck how people choose to live or what in...what fucking pisses me off is people looking down their noses at people who live on the road -whether its us hippys in vans or the gypsy/traveller community.Or people who choose to build low impact houses who get hounded out by local residents and planning department's for daring to try to live.differently.

The majority of people in the UK seem to think because you choose to live in a van or caravan or a mud and strawbale house and not tied to rents or mortgages and a work hamster wheel like they themselves are tied to, youre some kind of freak or freeloading scumbag who needs to be run off the road or have his mudhouse demolished and thrown into jail.
    Its got fuck all to do with.higher beings or special knowledge its called living how you choose to not how youre expected to.

I think net worth is more important than where you live. I have a higher net worth than a lot of people living in bricks and mortar homes. I know one home owner with a mortgage who has just had his credit cards taken away from him, but he's driving a "16" plate car. The renters are often in an even worse situation.

• in the big scheme of things i have naff all but have enough to live my style of life comfortably. I,m happy

I think that's when you have the most, which I know sounds a bit back to front, but if your day to day needs are reasonable then you don't get caught in having to work madly in a job you don't like in order to pay for so many things. I would like more money to travel, that's the one thing I do feel is really lacking in my life (and I really need some new saucepans, lol, mine keep falling to pieces) but I don't even want the house I'm living in, I've just not got things organised enough to go into a van yet :)

Plus you are secret Santa, WG, and that is priceless ;)

• I think net worth is more important than where you live. I have a higher net worth than a lot of people living in bricks and mortar homes. I know one home owner with a mortgage who has just had his credit cards taken away from him, but he's driving a "16" plate car. The renters are often in an even worse situation.

I know whst youre ssying but ive not ever thought of life ss how many 'things' i own as opposed to others but youre right about net worth as opposed to borrowed worth.
    My first bank manager yesrs ago (when they had such people) said to me back then that hed sooner people bought and paid for in cash, things they wanted ,than borrow to finance their lifestyle .He said take no notice of what you see out in the villages and towns rows of neat houses and gleaming cars on the drives because most people live in a dream world,a fascade of wealth -nice houses fancy cars fancy suits exotic holidays all 'on tick' mortgaged and borrowed to the max and paddling furiously below the surface to stay afloat.....ironically that was way back in 1978.

I dont have a lot but what i do have is paid for and belongs to me, not rented mortgaged or leased and i can live reasonably comfortably on my service pension without having to rely on any additional work income coming my way.
    Im thankful im not trapped in a house or flat and relying on a few low paid part time jobs and or benefits to keep a roof over my head and feed the parasites (Government council and utility companies)who want every penny i earn....that sort of life ive lived before long ago and its no fun.

• in the big scheme of things i have naff all but have enough to live my style of life comfortably. I,m happy

This is the answer. It doesnt matter a fuck what your net worth is so long as you are happy. You could be worth a million quid and be miserable, you can have fuck all and be happy. Generally people, at least the ones i know, who feel the need to quantify the things in their life are missing something - either happiness, contentment or something similar

• My point was really about people with a negative net worth, and an environmentally and socially destructive lifestyle, looking down on people with a positive net worth. Also, I believe that a negative net worth and a negative income affects your health and happiness.

It does matter if your net worth is £5, at least you aren't going to leave a load of debts to mess up other people's lives.

• My point was really about people with a negative net worth, and an environmentally and socially destructive lifestyle, looking down on people with a positive net worth. Also, I believe that a negative net worth and a negative income affects your health and happiness.

It does matter if your net worth is £5, at least you aren't going to leave a load of debts to mess up other people's lives.

I f youre struggling day to day to make ends meet it probably does impact on your mental and physicsl health bit as Rick ssid money and serious weslth doesnt guarantee happiness or health...sometimes its a major burden.I dont have debts and my life insurance will go to helping my kids along.I dont much need more than i have .Ive slways tried to adopt the Native American approach of 'leave no lasting footprints' .I certsinly think the less you have the more simple life is and the more content you become...especially with age.