A conversion with no knowledge, but with the best of intentions.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Late night half pissed ebaying? Been there, done that!

I was stone cold sober! Found one at the back of the scrap yard we are on behind a pile of rubble and dirt. It's been painted a horrible green and the back end is in a state. But the front looks top notch and it apparently starts 1st time. Just need my mechanic mate to look at it too see whats needed to pass the MOT and then put an offer in. Got to finish the horsebox 1st though, I don't think I hate myself enough to do two of these at once!

• Is the battery gauge on the right very accurate? Did it come with a charger/charge controller or something you've added in line yourself?

Didn't come with anything and it's just a display on a pcb, all I've added is the on and off switch. I thinks it's ok though, I measured the battery with a DMM initially and it seems to match up with that.

• I'm lovin the rustic look of that! [emoji7]

• Hopefully fitting the back doors this weekend (found some nice wooden bi-folding doors in a skip, almost perfect condition). I've also ebayed a Morco D16B water heater for an astonishing £62 and a brand new Shurflo pump for £25, so the water system will be going in pretty soon as well. This part of the build, when everything is coming together and all the planning and such is paying off, it's hugely exciting! Jurassic Park!

• Hopefully fitting the back doors this weekend (found some nice wooden bi-folding doors in a skip, almost perfect condition). I've also ebayed a Morco D16B water heater for an astonishing £62 and a brand new Shurflo pump for £25, so the water system will be going in pretty soon as well. This part of the build, when everything is coming together and all the planning and such is paying off, it's hugely exciting! Jurassic Park!

hugely inspiring Danbot !!!!! whoohoo :thumbup: general kinda similar love wood with history vibe pic below - what's not to love about our tree buddies, and they don't rot quite as easy as we do - yay :

ffeb13bff1cf3ce2bafa2f55fbdc1f0d.jpg

• Quick update with no photos (my phone is shot to shit and keep forgetting to take my camera).

More LED lighting fitted, oven (kind of) fitted, kitchen unit and storage unit made from some nice 20 year old kitchen cupboards and ready to be fitted, 12v pump, plumbing and water tank (kind of) fitted and operational, 240v pretty much completed but yet to be tested.

We have around 3 weeks to our moving day! So much to do but big progress is being made, just need to bend space and time to somehow get 6 weeks work done in 3 :/.

I found switching on my water pump and getting water out of a tap hugely exciting! Simple things :).

Will get my fancy camera down there with me on the weekend to get some sexy photos.

And a quick question to anyone that has read this far, instead of fitting larger windows at the front end near the cab, I was considering a sheet of thick ply on a hinge with a couple of those polycarbonate portholes mounted into it. As long as there is a tight seal around the board and it locks.....I can't imagine it being a problem. Thoughts?

P.S Julian! If you are lurking here we are still going to get a burner! Stupidly busy in every direction and my lady is still trying to design a sun for the burner window.....which turned into a moon.....then a star.....then a sun again.....currently it is a sun, moon, earth hybrid. No life could survive on that.

• And a quick question to anyone that has read this far, instead of fitting larger windows at the front end near the cab, I was considering a sheet of thick ply on a hinge with a couple of those polycarbonate portholes mounted into it. As long as there is a tight seal around the board and it locks.....I can't imagine it being a problem. Thoughts?

We avoided side windows to keep it low key but if I could start again I'd do exactly what you are proposing. I notice quite a few of the expensive overland vans utilize a similar idea, one large solid hatch with a few smaller windows in it. That way you have small secure windows that can be opened for ventilation when required but you also have the option of opening the whole hatch for some al fresco living.

• can hardly get over how groovy your build is - it's is just BEAUTIFUL !!!!! in all the heavy practicalities you've managed to weave lovely aesthetics cos of your respect for the materials.........really inspiring xxx

• Thank you. But if it looks good it really is just pot luck. Honestly, id never even put up a shelf before starting this....I only began with a hacksaw, couple of screw drivers and a hammer.

Though I do believe that as long as you have respect for safety, a small amount of common sense and good google skills...sometimes not knowing the rules allows you to function more creatively.

• Thank you. But if it looks good it really is just pot luck. Honestly, id never even put up a shelf before starting this....I only began with a hacksaw, couple of screw drivers and a hammer.

Though I do believe that as long as you have respect for safety, a small amount of common sense and good google skills...sometimes not knowing the rules allows you to function more creatively.

Completely with you on the last bit - not knowing the rules - a very fine place to be :) going to Art School nearly destroyed any natural sensitivities and skills I might once have possessed. In terms of craft though, very helpful to be mentored, like when elders shared skills with next generation......but most of peeps learn by trial and error......you do a job, get through it, learn some shit, gradually earn your stripes.

You're obviously a creative and a tryer otherwise you wouldn't even have started, they say The Gods

• I also went to art school so I know exactly what you mean. I remember being steered into doing graphic design and advertising which involved classes on networking and sucking up to people. I started art school because I loved illustration, character design and just drawing stuff I thought was cool....and there I was paying thousands of pounds for someone to stamp the fun out of what I loved doing...madness!