What do this new law mean?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I checked that Shield link and it doesnt stipulate a 6ft bed across the back, it states on their website a bed of min length 6ft fixed to the floor and /or walls.So it makes no odds where it is so long as its fixed permanently inside the van and is at least 6ft long.

• I checked that Shield link and it doesnt stipulate a 6ft bed across the back, it states on their website a bed of min length 6ft fixed to the floor and /or walls.So it makes no odds where it is so long as its fixed permanently inside the van and is at least 6ft long.

Yes but with it being a mwb van i didnt want to use 6 foot of room up on a bed. We wanted one that could stay as a bed, hence wanting it across the back.

• Yes but with it being a mwb van i didnt want to use 6 foot of room up on a bed. We wanted one that could stay as a bed, hence wanting it across the back.

Ok..thought it was ins' insisting on it....what about making one in two halves on one side? half at front,half at rear with space between for ?? table ?? Each portion has a sideways slide out bit to make a wider bed.Drop table down between two halves with side cushions on top to complete full length bed.....or dont you have room for something like that ?

• Thanks N RT but it was the local office. I will give the others you mentioned a try but in the long run i think it's going to be easier to make the bed fit their requirements as a slider then just use it as a smaller fixed.

Before imoved to NFU ,A-plan were the only broker who could find cover for my 7 seat LDV.All the other usual suspects wouldnt play.

• To qualify as a camper for the DVLA, the bed either has to be fixed or convert from fixed seating. If it's not fixed it's just a van with some stuff in it.
    If it's fixed but not yet registered as a Motor Caravan, it's a modified van, which brings it's own insurance issues, unless your insurance company has insured the van as a camper in conversion.
    As to a 5' 9" bed being fitted, not a 6' bed, I think that's what the new ruling is for. It would be too petty for an insurance company to refuse a claim on the grounds the bed was not a regulation size. The size of the bed will not make any difference to the van being broken into, or have somebody pulling out on you.