Motorcycle appreciation thread

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• This thread has started me thinking about getting a bike again. I'll ride anything with two wheels, I used to run a wheels2work scheme and rode any of the fleet of 18 scoots I managed; my own bikes at the time were a Kwak 600 Eliminator - pretty bike - and an elderly Guzzi V50 I eventually sold the Eliminator as I found the riding position uncomfortable, and the Guzzi was stolen and burnt out. I was heartbroken when that happened. My partner at the time was always buying, then selling bikes, so I just used to ride whatever he had in. We split up a couple of years back and whereas we are still friendly he's too far away now for us to share motors.

• This thread had me checking out V50s on fleabay, and I had to not bid on one being sold as spares or repair. I don't actually have any money so could not afford to win! :insane:
    I'm sticking to one vehicle which needs all the legal stuff (tax, mot, insurance) which is the bus. I have recently bought an electric bike - pushbike type - so that I can carry it in Iris and get about without having to drive a large vehicle everywhere. I'd love another motorsickle, though.
    When I used to ride the Eliminator, teenage girlies used to flash their eyes at me going past, wearing all my biking gear they obviously thought I was a bloke and this amused me.
    Better still, I went to check on a scooter which was in for repair, and the guy in the workshop asked me to take it away as it was fixed. He loaned me a lid so that I could ride it out. It was a blazing hot day, so I was wearing long shorts and a skinny top, with lots of boobs on show, not my normal riding style. As I rode out of the shop, a couple of teenage lads saw me, head hidden under the lid, and they whipped their shirts off and started strutting, obviously thinking that I was a teenage lass. More children on scoots caught me up at traffic lights and I was very tempted to follow them to wherever they were hanging out so that I could take my helmet off and scare them. DIdn't want to be labelled a paedo, though. :D

• I also used to have a fs1e custom very rare big money now should have kept the ugly old girl

I know how old you are now, I had friends with them, there seemed to be some sort of chav route. I had a Suzuki X1 50 in the Fizzy heyday, bloody heavy 50cc bike that was.

Fizzy, > RD 125 > RD 350 YPVS cos it was a legit legal first big bike and you could bypass the restricter easily, By that point most of the numpties had buried their heads in the back of parked lorries.

• I have a chinese 125 Honda cg clone I inherited off son after standing for 2 yrs in Aberystwyth sea air and rain. Mucho rusty chrome and seized engine. Anyhow 3yrs later thought do something with it or scrap it . So off with its head, down the bore went red diesel next morning tap with lump hammer and things moved. Borrowed a honing tool picked the rings off piston and degummed em. Many odds and sods later on road with mot and off to Dragon Rally in Feb near Snowdon about 100 miles from Lampeter. Spent more on oil than petrol so fitted 150cc big bore kit and new carb. Total cost about £50. All the chrome was hammerited and new decent brake shoes to replace the ones made by the soggy wet cardboard paper co. Actually stops now. Have fitted Honda cg parts to it as well. Would like a disc brake set up from a later chinese bike but dont see dead ones for sale must just get dumped. I remember when people use to complain about chrome, rust and crappy brakes years ago and frames and bolts that were made of a cheese like structure on Japenese bikes. Seems like the early chinese the same but with a bit of mechanical know how seem to work and go ok for ages. My 10 yr old grand daughter loves going on the back much to horror of daughter and her mother who use to own a Harley yrs ago ;).
    Parts are cheap but a lot of cross referencing is needed sometimes,It does me but would like a 350cc when have spare money ha ha. May well take it to Nottingham and leave it at a friends so take grand daughter out more often as not into trekking 150cc long trips anymore now older it hurts.

• I am a biker too. I currently ride a beautiful 2002 Triumph Bonniville 800. Just love the sound of the mighty twin - stirs the sole. When you ride you forget about all the other crap going on in life and that to me is the freedom which only riding can give you. If anyone is around Cornwall this summer keep an eye out for an old guy riding a blue and silver two tone Bonnie with the grin from ear to ear and that's probably me!

• I am a biker too. I currently ride a beautiful 2002 Triumph Bonniville 800. Just love the sound of the mighty twin - stirs the sole. When you ride you forget about all the other crap going on in life and that to me is the freedom which only riding can give you. If anyone is around Cornwall this summer keep an eye out for an old guy riding a blue and silver two tone Bonnie with the grin from ear to ear and that's probably me!

I had a go on my mates old 70's bonnie the other week, took a few miles to get use to gear lever on opp side :)

• I miss my bike! A few years ago, three of us from this very forum, Zee, Joss and I, the least sensible bunch you're ever likely to meet, set off from the midlands and made it all the way to John O'Groats, and then all the way to Lands End on our bikes. Joss on an SV1000,Zee on his first big bike, a CB500 Honda, and I on my 955i Triumph Tiger. Bloody marvellous. We never found Glasgow, and were supposed to meet another forum member in Liverpool to collect a decent map, but never found Liverpool either. We did have a hell of a blast though, and discovered (amongst other things) after putting our tents up with crappy torches, that we had three really powerful spotlights...on the front of our bikes. We did eventually find Lands End. Happy daze...

• "What have you bought now?" Said Yolanda who is the more sensible one of us two. "Don't worry I will make my millions out of this lovely chinese scooter just a couple of things to put right" :angel: Say I ( two mastercylinders, headlight bulb, small sidepanel )
    Not that bad for £50 should have mot in next couple of weeks and gone.
    One good thing comes out of this the Mz's are off but you can read about them somewhere else in the forum on a post about de cluttering rather than typing same stuff twice.
    :)ukhippy.com/attachment/23925/