Alternatives to a fridge

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There are quite a few 12V cool boxes out there, thats what i am getting in my van, replacing the 12v fridge with a cool box and putting the fridge in my boat!

• I just use a small and cheap cool box (non electric) cost around a tenner. It keeps stuff cool enough for a day , just top it up with some cold stuff or a bag of frozen peas and keep it low down in the van in a cupboard. Just the job and way cheaper than those electric jobbies and costs nothing to run.

• The trouble with the cheap 12v ones is they pull a fair current and will wont take long to take a decent amount of charge out of your battery. Cheap ice packs from the pound shop in a standard cool box is probably the way to go. Make sure the box is as full as possible avoiding big air gaps to lengthen the time you will get out of it.

• When camping we use a basic non-electric coolbox, and wrap it in the sleeping bag(s) during the daytime, out the sun, like low in the vehicle. We pack it with frozen mixed veg, peas, berries, whatever. When we take stuff out, we do it quick, and cover up again. Lasts about 3 - 4 days or longer, according to the weather, and how much frozen stuff we eat.

• I've never bothered with a fridge or powered coolbox, that way I have no fretting about power consumption and I don't really have the space for either. I buy chilled goods like milk in small containers, that way I'm using the shop's fridge and it lasts long enough even in summer if wrapped in a damp dishcloth. Also if bought in a garage shop that makes me a customer, giving me the right to top up my water from their hose, get rid of my waste water down their drain, make full use of their toilet, and empty my bin.

• I use a waeco tropical 21L coolbox. It's not ot a cheap one but keeps things cool all day while I am at work. It runs off 12v too but I use campsites and an eletric hookup daily.

• I'm just using a non-electrical coolbox at the moment. I picked up a few 12 volt ones when I was collecting scrap, and decided they were not worth the power loss. I picked one to pieces, and all it was was a fan blowing air round a double skinned plastic box.

• I'm just using a non-electrical coolbox at the moment. I picked up a few 12 volt ones when I was collecting scrap, and decided they were not worth the power loss. I picked one to pieces, and all it was was a fan blowing air round a double skinned plastic box.

If you looked closer I suspect you would have found the peltier panel/s that the fan was cooling ;) ,same ones that are in stove top eco fans , make em warm but keep a side cooler and you get lectrickery , put a current through it and one side will get hot as the other gets cold so you get cooling ........

• I once repaired a boater friends eco fan , she bought it to me with the top and bottom rattling about ( not good as they need good contact for the heat conductivity) , that aside i tested the fan motor with an AA battery ,it span like mad , so no probs there, then i got a panel from ebay , change from a fiver I believe , problem was i went for a 45 mm square and it was a bit bigger than the original so i had to carefully file a small groove in both ends to accommodate the screws ,but hey , it worked , point is I had no idea of the spec , just watched this video and seems 12v 10 amp is what you need ..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ipt8xqKbCSw

bit long winded but get to part 2 and he tests it , to be honest i dont think its a good use of 10 amps .