Anyone else getting an Irish Passport?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Look, you are happy, AW, I get that, I am happy for you. You stuck your tree branch into the wheels of society and made "The Man" fall off because they weren't listening to you. Crickey, we all wanted to do that.

But you also have to understand the remain perspective, we like what the EU has done for our rights, we like the economic stability and security it brings, we like the freedoms it gives us. At the moment it feels like some of our friends decided against our wishes to hold a vote to take our car away from us and then being told to just smile and be happy while we wait in the rain for the bus because the vote was "democratic".

Democracy is also the right to protest and fight things you don't agree with. Besides, we don't have direct democracy in the UK, if we did there would be no income tax and free cake for everyone, everyday. We have something called representative democracy, which involves electing someone to represent our interests as best they can even though a lot of what they vote for will be against our direct wishes.

brexiters making inaccurate and childish claims that the EU is a fascist, unelected, secretive and undemocratic organisation does suggest that you ( generic you) voted for something you don't understand. The EU has a page debunking 500 commonly held myths that the newspapers in the UK have invented, even Boris repeated some of the most common ones like EU rules distancing bananas only being allowed to be sold in bunches of 3 or less when every single shop in the UK sells full hands of bananas.

Successive UK governments with media assistance have vilified the EUs to distract the electorate from their own failings, when in reality the EU has forced the government tor raise the bar on human rights, animal welfare, environmental protection, workers rights and food safety as well as many other things.

Anyway, can we get back to the subject please rather than having another discussion where we are trying to be forced into being defensive about wanting to retain EU citizenship.

• Ive been wanting out of the UK for some time. So remaining as part of the EU is something Id like.
    Come hell or high water I will find away to get out of this country and live in Europe.
    I like the utopian idea of "countries without borders" and the EU made that a step closer for us all.
    Now we face border control, visas and more expense.

Ive got a very strong feeling that all the people who voted to leave the EU will be:

1.) moaning when they book holidays and find it is a tad more expensive and a lot more difficult to plan something for a longer term trip away.
    2.) They will also moan to me when the standards of the NHS drop because it is no longer being funded by the EU.
    3.) The same folk will moan that they cant afford to go to Univeristy because the fees are much higher and the EU no longer fund those Unis.
    4.) They will also moan to us all about lack of funding opportunities for organisations and charities int he UK that would otherwise have been propped up by the EU funding and now having to rely on and already tight british funding scheme.

Good luck to those who think Britian is great, I reckon you "leave voters" are going to be left with an Island full of thugs marching about shouting racist comments and worshipping Hitler.

• I'm surprised that so many of you want to stay in a disintegrating EU. I would have thought that you would welcome the chance for us to escape the laws that restrict the production of healthy food, and immigration policies that generate racial intolerance. For example cane sugar is better than sugar beet.
    Brexit isn't about racism, that is a label that remainers try to attach to it. Just look at the activities in the EU countries ( and the US) if you want to see racism. A well-managed points system for immigration will help us to put racism and religious intolerance behind us. Investment in Britain will help us to grow and rebuild the health care that has fallen so far whilst we were in the EU.

• I'm surprised that so many of you want to stay in a disintegrating EU. I would have thought that you would welcome the chance for us to escape the laws that restrict the production of healthy food, and immigration policies that generate racial intolerance. For example cane sugar is better than sugar beet.
    Brexit isn't about racism, that is a label that remainers try to attach to it. Just look at the activities in the EU countries ( and the US) if you want to see racism. A well-managed points system for immigration will help us to put racism and religious intolerance behind us. Investment in Britain will help us to grow and rebuild the health care that has fallen so far whilst we were in the EU.

NHS is on its knees because the fat cats running it are creaming off hundreds of thousands of pounds from NHS Government funding and EU funding.
    Those same corrupt fat cats will steal money from us, with or without the aid of being in the EU.
    I suggest next time you take a walk in to your nearest large town or city, have a look at all the buildings and institutions that are heavily funded by the EU.
    We also had something close to a world without borders ( almost) When we enter brexit and fully come out the EU we will need visas to enter every single country.
    Coming out of the EU hasnt really made a difference though - because we ( the peasants) were damned if they did and damned if they didnt. Its always going to cost us whatever government is in power and whatever political decision is made.

• the EU is only disintegrating to those standing on the outside looking in. It looks pretty good from the inside.

It feels like a Lada owner coming to a Mercedes owners club meeting and espousing how crap Mercs are.

Those with the least amount of knowledge seem to have the strongest opinions and loudest voices.

• Hippy husband and I had a sick feeling that the great british hubris would win the referendum. He pointed out to me that he has dual nationality and that as we are wed we can now both get irish passports so to keep our EU freedom of movement.

Then I saw last week that the irish passport office have had to take on 500 temp staff to deal with the demand.

Anyone else going this way?

I'll get one if I have to. Dad is Belfast & I want an EU passport, so as per I will take full advantage :D why not? I'm born brummy but my O'Hare grandad was so Irish I could hardly understand a word he said.
    He'd be raising a glass or ten at me getting some use out of him. He'd be happy he helped. Cheers gramps :thumbup:

I doubt it will come to all that though. The peacocks are out in full force & feathers are gonna get ruffled whilst the never ending battle for ultimate power continues but things will settle soon enough. The silly barstewards go round in never ending circles & end up back at square one half the time. They all need each other at the end of the day.

• Lol already had a proposal from a soon to be irishman but thanks Wurzel MWAH

On a more sour note:
    Never in my life have i felt so trapped by the politics of our time. I feel powerless to change my life for the better because every option is being shut down and blocked.

Never get to feeling like this treestump. That is a big mistake. See it for what it is, most of it is just media games designed to make people feel that way. It stands to reason :) they don't use religion anymore, the majority woke up to that, so now they use MEDIA.
    Its a mentality. Whatever happens you will adapt to it.
    I pinky promise :thumbup: