Anyone else getting an Irish Passport?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hippy husband and I had a sick feeling that the great british hubris would win the referendum. He pointed out to me that he has dual nationality and that as we are wed we can now both get irish passports so to keep our EU freedom of movement.

Then I saw last week that the irish passport office have had to take on 500 temp staff to deal with the demand.

Anyone else going this way?

• I would if I could, sadly I am 1/4 Welsh and 3/4 gullible retard ( AKA English)

But I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the European counties lighten the entry requirements to get citizenship for Brits in the coming months.

I pay my taxes officially ( declared income of bigger all) in the Netherlands as it is,

Maybe I can leverage that into Dutch citizenship. I no longer want to be British. Mainly because I doubt there will be a UK in 3 years.

• That is funny, that's the Irish for you, you should read the one about the campsite owner in Enniscrone in Co Sligo wanted to set up a alternative campsite, he decided he wanted a 747 aeroplane for said campsite and went to Shannon Airport to get one, the pictures of seeing a 747 on a raft being tugged up the atlantic ocean on the west coast of Ireland are priceless :eek:

• I have mentioned this to a friend recently, I could have one, but we were actually thinking about seeing how it all goes and if it starts/continues to go pear shaped just move over there.

• I dont think ive any 2nd or 3rd generation Irish. which means I would have to marry and Irish passport holder and live there for three years.
    Im gutted. Ive been working towards my dream of living in Europe for a couple of years and now this.

I ( being Scottish) Is hoping that Nicola Sturgeon can wangle us Scots an EU passport....
    Given that Brussels have already given her an invite and opportunity to state her case. Things are looking hopeful.
    I really have some faith in Nicola and Im also well aware that Politicians THRIVE on creating divides between nations...
    Am i just living in a giant pink fluffy cloud in my hopes that Scotland will remain in the EU?

• Sorry to be a bit hippy an all ...... But whaaaaaahhhhh ( many tears) ......who gets to choose where they are born?...........whaaaaaah ( more tears).......Being a citizen of an EU that has forced many human and planet friendly directives in the face of out and out ( yet still denied ) free market exploitation of both earth and it's citizens has been a bit future friendly and karmically equilibrialising....whaaaaaah.

• Lol already had a proposal from a soon to be irishman but thanks Wurzel MWAH

On a more sour note:
    Never in my life have i felt so trapped by the politics of our time. I feel powerless to change my life for the better because every option is being shut down and blocked.

• And the Mayflower set sail Westward, carrying her passengers in Search of the promised land. EEEUrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrReferendum...cough.cough!

And Easyjet left the Tarmac, carrying the panic stricken ex-Britz away from democracy. In search of a cheap deal and a failing codependent Republic of the EWE. Some liked it hot! Some liked it wet. Eventually following the Pied Piper of Hamelin, into the black hole Mountain of EWE bureaucracy & never to hear the laughter of children again.

And what price a ticket my friend? I hear you ask. A cross on a piece of paper! Surly not, that's cheap. Here I'll give you X 3. One for the Master, One for his Maid. One for the ex-Nazi banker, who hides in the glade.

• Lol already had a proposal from a soon to be irishman but thanks Wurzel MWAH

On a more sour note:
    Never in my life have i felt so trapped by the politics of our time. I feel powerless to change my life for the better because every option is being shut down and blocked.

That's exactly how I feel, Treestump, the more I try and get free the more entangled I seem to become. I feel like the goalposts keep moving and every time I'm within reach of something changing for the better something else seems to shift and knock me back to where I started. I feel so tired all the time.

• Treestump, as far as I am aware the EU will not negotiate with Nicola as long as Scotland is part of the UK. There needs to be some serious though given to how our country proceeds from the debacle (for us) that was the referendum to leave the EU.

• Anything to reduce housing demands on the UK is also another bonus, I bet they European Country that anyone moves to will also want any Tax revenue from the UK to be included in their tax returns. This could get interesting. Those leaving property in the UK to rent. Like Spain now expects any overseas income from UK property or investments to be declared. I still think we are better off with the devil we will get to know, a U.K. Elected Government.

• And the Mayflower set sail Westward, carrying her passengers in Search of the promised land. EEEUrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrReferendum...cough.cough!

And Easyjet left the Tarmac, carrying the panic stricken ex-Britz away from democracy. In search of a cheap deal and a failing codependent Republic of the EWE. Some liked it hot! Some liked it wet. Eventually following the Pied Piper of Hamelin, into the black hole Mountain of EWE bureaucracy & never to hear the laughter of children again.

And what price a ticket my friend? I hear you ask. A cross on a piece of paper! Surly not, that's cheap. Here I'll give you X 3. One for the Master, One for his Maid. One for the ex-Nazi banker, who hides in the glade.

Not panic, we want to keep the security and freedoms of being EU citizens that you voted to destroy because you thought Cameron ate a bacon sandwich in an odd way.

Ex nazi banker? there can't be many of them still around now 71 years later. Idiot.

• If Europe is such a draw, go now while you can. We are not leaving for at least two years. Plenty of time to get naturalised and take up a euro nationality.

Sadly it is about 5 to 10 depending on country, but a residence permit will tide people over till then.

There are millions of us who want to keep our eu citizenship more than a British one ( I would like both, but you have to recind the British one first) I would n't be surprised if there was a temporary easing for expats in certain countries already.

• Not panic, we want to keep the security and freedoms of being EU citizens that you voted to destroy because you thought Cameron ate a bacon sandwich in an odd way.

Ex nazi banker? there can't be many of them still around now 71 years later. Idiot.

You still here? I was expecting to see you paddling out to see on the news. Oh you still want to hang about the UK Incase you get to retain some of the good bits! I get it.

& I thought Cameron was a vegetarian! Well he has gone down even further in my books then.

• Whaaaaaah.......whaaaaaah.......double whaaaaaah. The UK has no bargaining power.......our politico's , money lenders and land holders have a long history of burying human rights under endless beaurocracy as evidenced by Indian beurocratic systems and those of the NHS and welfare state........Those who have can liquidate and fuck off to better pastures anytime they choose...those without are subject to the energy sapping oppression of said systems that will enslave them further without EU protection.

Choices were made.....housing was not built and ever decreasing interest rates serve to compound the problem.

• Whaaaaaah.......whaaaaaah.......double whaaaaaah. The UK has no bargaining power.......our politico's , money lenders and land holders have a long history of burying human rights under endless beaurocracy as evidenced by Indian beurocratic systems and those of the NHS and welfare state........Those who have can liquidate and fuck off to better pastures anytime they choose...those without are subject to the energy sapping oppression of said systems that will enslave them further without EU protection.

Choices were made.....housing was not built and ever decreasing interest rates serve to compound the problem.

well I'm lucky in that, if I did want to, as you put it "fuck off" to better pastures. I could liquidate. I do have family in Austrailia, since the vote was to leave the EU, looks like my mother is thinking of going to live there now shit has hit the fan in Spain and it ain't that safe or good a place to live without the UK support. Unfortunately I can't quite fulfill the Austrailian point system. I would indeed have to liquidate and invest in my families farm in OZ. (yeh right, like that's going to happen) I have a family here in the UK. I have land here in the Uk, I'm British and proud of it. It's a shitkicking Country, not a shit Country. So no point me crying or constantly bleating like I've been selected for castration. I voted for the UK to come out of the EU along with many others. It's just a bonus that it took the Tory party PM and his not so clever Klingon (I'd like to have a go at PM Dave) George Osbourne down with my collective vote. But you do seem to be missing the point here. I'm delighted with the result, over the fooooking moon with the outcome and really can't wait for those that can't handle it to move on. In fairness, Britain may after all end up with a entry points system! RESULT. Those same pastures talked about may just be there for the taking, but for how long Let's see the brave who wish to recind their entitlement to a British passport start the ball rolling. I'm beginning to wonder if it's not just bravado. And in actual fact they are fearing not ever getting it back at some point in the future or may even retain it for the benefit of any children they may go on to have. Settle down and except we voted out and help contribute to building a better UK to live in or visit. Instead of constantly trying to bring us down.

• No one is trying to bring the UK down, the Brexiteers have to carry that responsibility on their own shoulders, all we want is to retain the EU citizenship rights we may have lost as well as the ones from our home country. We didn't vote to leave, you did. We were happy enough as we were.

I saw there are moves afoot.

http://www.theguardian.com/pol…-57779bc2e4b0b320cf128a35

The remain demographic is an in demand one, younger people with many tax paying years ahead of them and as rule, better educated, better off and in better jobs.

The EU countries also have aging populations, so need younger people to pay the pensions.

Anyway, can you not gloat or berate people please AW, isn't exactly constructive or helpful to this discussion.

• I would like the opertunity to celebrate, never mind gloat. Each day that passes the Country is talking as if it's better news than yesterday. I've had folk commenting on here how pathetic we look to the rest of the world and for what? We have done exactly what we set out to do. We have incurred senseless abuse that is almost as disrespectful as the racist comments, like those that have been in the media. Too thick to vote etc. The abuse and misery spreading from the stay camp is bringing us down.