Air rifle recommendations

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm starting to have a problem with squirrels striping the bark off trees they've got to go,so a decent air rifle is the tool for the job I've had break barrels and underleaver single shot rifles in the past but I think I'm going to treat myself to a pre charged job with a buddy bottle I'm thinking BSA short barrel multi shot type. I'll probably go out and buy a magazine or two to read a few reviews but any thoughts and advice on different makes/models would be appreciated also charging methods if anybody has any experience.the meat will not be wasted.

• Ive tried the precharged ones and they are nice and quiet. A guy i know has one but has had problems with seals (rubber not furry!) , and says you have to keep it spotlessly clean. Says he also struggles loading pellets as he has fat fingers, nowhere near as easy as a break barrel. The other problem he complains about is filling it via the stirrup pump. Was ok at first but the novelty soon wears off apparently. Of course if you go for the diving bottle then you are paying for refills - something i would not be happy with. I still prefer break barrel springers. Currently got a bsa lightning and would say its a great rifle for little money.

• Havent tried the multi shot, i would guess this would be far easier. One i tried was single shot bolt action, with the worlds smallest slot to get your fingers and a pellet in.
    As to the cost you are right they are a fortune. The annoying thing is that when i had my firearms ticket you could pick up a decent .22 rimfire for less than hundred quid.
    I would say your best bet would be to ring up either the local shooting club if youhave one, or the local ratcatcher and see what they have to say. Other than that take a trip to a shop that stocks a good range and have a go of a few. Once you find the model you lke google for the best price.

• Buy a Crosman Ratcatcher and get it highly modded.
    10 shot, bolt action breach. Check them out. Quick lighter than light. Acurate, Silent, everyday Carry and killer.
    If I were you, I would resist spending big money until after the election. If the EU rules and regs apply, you will need a licence and pay for it. If we vote out, This gov will adopt similar but restrict both old and new gun keepers, if you don't have legitimate need for one and land to shoot, plus building to keep it stored. Your going to have to give it up or sell it on. The U.K. Market will be a wash with top end gas guns owned by thousands of dubious people, who don't stand a cat in hells chance of getting licenced or permitted ownership. Gun prices will fall through floor or go for export.

• I've seen those ratcatcher's and I know there good not looked into the mods though I've got a crossman 12 shot plinker at the moment which I use for rats it really gets through co2 cannisters plus low powered I bought it at impulse after I opened up the draw to find two rats asleep on my Barclaycard bill.

• I used to use a BSA R10, great gun to use also very accurate (very important when taking live quarry) and uses 10 shot magazines, used a divers bottle to fill it, to knackered to shoot after trying a stirrup pump. Previous to this I had one of the short barrelled BSA Ultra's again a nice gun but I found it a bit awkward to hold and not a patch on the R 10

• yes lovely guns, I believe they also do them with a synthetic stock now. I certainly made a drastic impact on the rabbit population on the campsite we were staying on at the time .

• it may not be vegetarian or vegan, but it doesn't mean it's not hippy. If you eat meat, you may as well be the one pulling the trigger.

Even the Yoga Sutra's talk about using a deer skin to meditate on, and eating meat in cold climates.

• Sorry but animal killing? Hardly Hippy talk :)

Frame.

I agree, but the last time we discussed eating live squirrel and pigeon, it was frowned upon. I can't stand fur or feather in the back of my throat either, so it's just kinder to shoot them first. We dont really have many wichetty grubs round these parts to fall back on.

Like how many Hippies do you know that are vegans? Who have not been nourished by another living thing after mums tit?

• I own Logan litew8 PCP, 8 shot .22 mag, supresser , fitted with Hawke 8x50 scope , and on that I have night kit c/w IR torch, on a full charge I can get about 30 shots off before the grouping gets bad , I have been filling it from a divers cylinder but that is empty and out of test , testing is only about 30 quid but if it fails you dont get the bottle back so last few fills have been with a borrowed stirrup pump, quick and easy (maybe a dozen pumps to get up to pressure) . I also have a generic Chinese .22 break barrel with no scope at all on it which works fine for up close (the scopes dont focus under 15/20 feet), a Hatsan .177 break barrel, there again reliable and surprisingly accurate , finally an 8 shot .177 CO2 pistol with small laser, fun for plinking :)

• I own Logan litew8 PCP, 8 shot .22 mag, supresser , fitted with Hawke 8x50 scope , and on that I have night kit c/w IR torch, on a full charge I can get about 30 shots off before the grouping gets bad , I have been filling it from a divers cylinder but that is empty and out of test , testing is only about 30 quid but if it fails you dont get the bottle back so last few fills have been with a borrowed stirrup pump, quick and easy (maybe a dozen pumps to get up to pressure) . I also have a generic Chinese .22 break barrel with no scope at all on it which works fine for up close (the scopes dont focus under 15/20 feet), a Hatsan .177 break barrel, there again reliable and surprisingly accurate , finally an 8 shot .177 CO2 pistol with small laser, fun for plinking :)

Jeeeezs man! Armed response. You do know this zombie apocalypse is just fairytale bollox? You would be just as well off with a Gallager electric fencing unit wired up to your bus doors.

• Gave up my 12 bore when we left our rented land. Will get one again once the smallholding holding purchase is complete. Got an old bsa meteor air rifle with a mini scope.

• Post by Offgrid hero ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • I would like to get my FAC and SGC but I am no fixed abode so probably not much chance.

Has anyone on here been effected by the AWC in Scotland. I have been talking to shooters north of the boarder and thay have said that many people are going for the FAC instead of the AWC so instead of the new law limiting the number of airguns it has actually increased the number of real guns.

I don't think that was the gooberments intention, do you?

paul

• Yep I do buy them in bulk on ebay but the gun just eats them i get about 25 shots worth of useable power per canister plus you can't store it with a canister in it just leaks out it was a bad buy but I was overrun with rats at the time even on the roof of my trailer,i felt the need to take up arms against them,cometh the hour cometh the man.

• another question that I keep getting different answers to over the year's is can I have a shotgun cabinet in a caravan fixed to the chassis or barn fixed to concrete floor for certification if I don't have a legitimate dwelling there. I guess not it's normally bad news right?

• another question that I keep getting different answers to over the year's is can I have a shotgun cabinet in a caravan fixed to the chassis or barn fixed to concrete floor for certification if I don't have a legitimate dwelling there. I guess not it's normally bad news right?

I know people who've had permission to do it with a barn before now. The key is having a good chat with local firearms chap.

The vehicle cases are deemed as "temporary storage" I believe. I doubt you'd get away with anything longer than a weekend away.