TRIKE TROUBLE

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi probably the wrong place to post this but I did not know where to put it ?
    right got a robin reliant rear axe and diff it has 3 bolts either side of the diff casing holding the axle tubes on , when I got the axle some of the bolts where chemical metaled over , on removing it found out one had no bolt in ? and 2 where snapped ( maybe to much torque from the engine twisting the diff ?) so I have drilled and tapped 12mm threads in those ones and will fit stainless hex bolts , but the other 3 someone must of welded nuts to the inside of the axle tubes and the bolted through the diff housing , but now the nuts had come loose , and I can not undo the bolts as the captive nuts just turn inside the axle case ? ANYONE GOT AN IDEA if I try to drill them they are just gonna spin

• You're in the right place after all, looks like a couple of Reliant fiends here! Checking my Haynes manual and from looking at my own Robin the axle tubes are only held on by what looks like a pin passing through the diff casing to the axle tube. I'd imagine what prevents the tube parting from the diff casing is mostly friction between case and tube, was shrunk on maybe. I've never investigated further as I've never seen a need to want to remove the axle tubes, although if you're building a trike you presumably want it narrower than the car. Can't think what you'll do for half shafts though.

You could try asking on the Reliant Facebook site, what isn't known of there isn't worth knowing.

• You're in the right place after all, looks like a couple of Reliant fiends here! Checking my Haynes manual and from looking at my own Robin the axle tubes are only held on by what looks like a pin passing through the diff casing to the axle tube. I'd imagine what prevents the tube parting from the diff casing is mostly friction between case and tube, was shrunk on maybe. I've never investigated further as I've never seen a need to want to remove the axle tubes, although if you're building a trike you presumably want it narrower than the car. Can't think what you'll do for half shafts though.

You could try asking on the Reliant Facebook site, what isn't known of there isn't worth knowing.

Hi yes the axle had been modified before I got it with bolts replacing the pin

• hammer wedge an old screwdriver in the back of bolt head pry and turn keep doing till picks up on to good threads if bolt starts to come out get a nail or pry bar behind and keep perisiting with undoing, a pain but sheel move, use mole grips clamp em on and then you can pull and undo.

Sorry thats all wrong i think so captive nut in axle is loose, surley you can sort of wedge up captive nut inside with a long srewdriver, or pry bar to stop nut spinning, as you undu bolt. maybe?

• JUst had another thougth as im sad, and like a challenge, find a knacked screwdriver bend the end a bit or enough to contact spinning captive nut in axle, but dont over bend as you wont get in through hole at other side, the bent screwdriver might be able to loop under half shaft and then hopefully you can get enough force just enough to hold against flat of nut head, then with other hand (spanner or socket already on bolt head, slowly undo bolt. my uncle had a bent spanner for such jobs but no spanner is going though that smaller hole.

• Drill a hole in the case just outside of where the washer is sitting. Put a 6 inch nail or small screwdriver in the hole to wedge against the nut whilst you undo it. If you need to fill it in again then tap the hole out and insert a screw or just weld it up if its steel.

• JUst had another thougth as im sad, and like a challenge, find a knacked screwdriver bend the end a bit or enough to contact spinning captive nut in axle, but dont over bend as you wont get in through hole at other side, the bent screwdriver might be able to loop under half shaft and then hopefully you can get enough force just enough to hold against flat of nut head, then with other hand (spanner or socket already on bolt head, slowly undo bolt. my uncle had a bent spanner for such jobs but no spanner is going though that smaller hole.

This is what I did today with a small bend on a flat head screwdriver managed to go through one of the drilled out holes a just managed to lock the spinning nut , get a 13mm socket on the other end in it worked fine , just got to split the halfshafts and get the diff out as well because there are now at least 2 nuts in there somewhere

• Looks like you're making progress. I wonder if the shearing bolts are to do with any torsion from hitting a bump on one side having to be taken by the diff casing, since the swing arms aren't joined anywhere else.

• Looks like you're making progress. I wonder if the shearing bolts are to do with any torsion from hitting a bump on one side having to be taken by the diff casing, since the swing arms aren't joined anywhere else.

Only guessing but what I think has gone on , is when the axle was converted someone tack welded nuts to the inside of the axle tubes , then screwed 10mm bolts through the ally diff case into them , but with no spring washers , so over time someone must have tightened them to much and snapped of the tack weld so the bolts were just spinning , and widening the holes in the ally casing ? I am going to try to drill 14 mm holes in the damaged holes and plug with ally rod then weld them in place drill and tap 12mm threads , if that don't work I will be needing a new small half diff case

• I won't be able to strip it for you for a few weeks (prob early July) but you're welcome to it. Could probably drop it off in a woodland somewhere without much difficulty.

Sent from my H2 using Tapatalk

• I won't be able to strip it for you for a few weeks (prob early July) but you're welcome to it. Could probably drop it off in a woodland somewhere without much difficulty.

Sent from my H2 using Tapatalk

Wow thanks that's right nice of you , I will take you up on that offer , I will still have a go at fixing the one I have but nice to know there is a spare one out there

see you at the woods , I will have the kettle on the fire

• Well had a go at repairing the reliant diff case and it seems to have worked , first we filled the 2 oval holes with ally weld , drilled a 10.5 mm hole then run through a 12mm tap , and then fitted some nice stainless hex key bolts , just got to spray it all back up , fit some new brake lines , gaskets ect then assemble the back end to the trike

• Well after much trial and tribulation its done 14 months to late for the birthday it was meant for ,much blood sweat and tears and plenty of autosol here is the finished trike ( she has not got a name yet )