Over half a million vegans in Britain

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There was a piece in the Telegraph today about fashionable veganism harming health of ill informed followers.Gwyneth Paltrow was mentioned.On the same page there was an article about eating potatoes 4 times a week causes a blood pressure risk.One say's one thing another say's something else.Moderation as my old nan used to say is maybe the key to a healthy life.

• One would do well to avoid the tabloids.
    What did people do before the event of sensationalistic newspaper reporting?

We can all manage without cheesy information clogging the brain up. :)

Have a great day...Frame.

• hi guys,dont eat meat and dairy myself but isn't the amount of meat being consumed in this country actually increasing. My personal experience amongst people I meet to bear this out. and have you seen the size of the kfc s and other junk outlets they are building all over the place!

• That`s gotta be starting to make a dent in the animal farming industry profits..

your having a laugh aren't you? Probably same amount of animals going through the mill, just a lot more wasted, sold cheaper or exported.
    Of those 54200 70% tried it for the summer. 13600 realised they couldn't give up bacon butties (it's the smell) they say. Yes there's thousands more given up eating meat. But there's millions more who otherwise couldn't afford meat more than once or twice a week. Now want a big Mc or KFC every other day. Meat you can't eat, will feed another man or beast.

• Of those 54200 70% tried it for the summer. 13600 realised they couldn't give up bacon butties (it's the smell) they say.

The same survey was done 10 years ago, so even though there will be people who don't stick to it, it's still a 360% increase overall.

What wasn't included is information on how people are bringing up their children, vegans feeding their friends, people willing to eat vegan food part time and people eating a more plant-based diet without even thinking about it.

• What wasn't included is information on how people are bringing up their children, vegans feeding their friends, people willing to eat vegan food part time and people eating a more plant-based diet without even thinking about it.

I agree with you there, what's more, there's far more choice of alternative to meat ingredients and none animal products available these days. I had a try at sticking to a vegetarian diet in 1983/4/5 it followed on from beanfeast soya mince I had tried some years before that. OK health food shops were springing up here there and everywhere, but buy off the shelf meals or ready made products were a thing of the future. Now there is choice and variety, along with a budget range. Indeed some of it is really nice to eat.
    We as a family often find substituting meat in our meals really pleasing and we continue to explore further recipes. I have no qualms about avoiding cheap, poor quality cuts of meat for a healthy alternative.
    Gone are the days when restaurants would offer to put a omelette on your plate, with your four veg and Yorkshire puddings, instead of the beef, pork or chicken on the menue. Even then they would ask if you still wanted gravey.

I would like to see a reduction of animal products used across the board in all the worlds diets.
    If it's choice between eating insects or paying astronomical prices for meat in the future. The majority will choose to go vegetarian if not vegan. My only worry there would be fewer meadows/pasture, fewer insects, fewer birds and a mono agri crop arrangement on rotation.
    Few are in favour of GM and it will require more herbicides to maintain production levels. Soil starvation and then increased food costs.
    Only by then the very rich will be eating endangered species, sourced from the blackmarket, legitimised by false paperwork and corrupted officials.

I watched a documentary on TV about elephants. It showed elephants snatching weaver birds nests from the hanging branches of trees. All the nests had eggs or chicks in them. They feasted on the nests, like giant shredded wheat. It had never been seen before. Was the elephants aware of the meat/egg content? I imagine they were actively seaking it. Elephants are incredibly intelligent animals. Although they didn't bother to eat the chicks or eggs that fell out of the nests onto the ground, as they snatched the nest from the branch. So it could be just a convenient food binge and nothing more.