Free Land !!!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Just think, though. Build a modest lodge and rent it out for poetry, meditation, reading and yoga holidays in summer while you live in an earthship house across the field with water and wind turbines.There are loads of annoying people I could send there in winter. Grow potatoes and make your own vodka. The possibilities are endless.

• Ive always wanted to visit Russia but isnt Siberia where they send all the alleged " bad people"?
    Minus 47 in winter.... Even us hardy Scots couldnt cope wi that.
    Think I will pass on this "opportunity"

• I'm interested!

With a five season sleeping bag it's survivable without even a fire, and most of your waking hours will be busy chopping wood, hunting and gathering.

You would obviously need a gun for hunting as well as self defence against bears.

Imagine the freedom and outstanding natural beauty!

Is there no-one else up for it?

• I don't think a 5 season sleeping bag alone will cut it for the entire winter. My worry would be freezing to death in the day time and less than half a mile from home. There's a reason for learning survival skills. Main one is not to expose yourself to danger un-prepared.

• I don't think a 5 season sleeping bag alone will cut it for the entire winter. My worry would be freezing to death in the day time and less than half a mile from home. There's a reason for learning survival skills. Main one is not to expose yourself to danger un-prepared.

Oh yes, I just did a search and only found temperature ratings of -28 degrees which is some way off -47, so you would need a well-stoked fire going for the nights as well.

Mind you, very few nights of the year would get down to that cold, and, the sleeping bag companies have to add some headroom so as not to leave themselves open to lawsuits!

Anyway, if I was to go for it, I would be in a yurt or bell tent and have a wood burner with flue until such time as I was able to build a more permanent cabin or hobbit hole type home.

• It's very similar climate and terrain to Alaska but with even fewer people. I've always dreamed of Alaska and seen plenty of documentaries on survival up there. I've also seen the movies The Revenant and Backcountry and not even those bear attacks put me off, they're very rare. it's hard but very satisfyingly so.

I would MUCH rather raise children in that environment than Britain as well as I'd have full control of, no unwanted influences that they pick up from our schools, media, materialism, etc. I could home tutor them and teach them what really matters, not 'preparatory schooling' them into this miserable fake life.

It's true this country is in decline and has been since the war and it's time everybody faced up to it and instead of moaning either do something about it or get out! I favour the latter and would like to be somewhere I can be completely oblivious to what's going on - no reading the paper, watching the news, no more silly adverts and ramming multiculturalism down our throats, seeing everyone get fatter and even more depressed, no more losing to Iceland, it's heartbreaking.

I've got no problem being naturalised as Russian and could easily blend in looks-wise. I've got absolutely no doubt in my mind as long as I chose the right area I'd be infinitely happier there. I wouldn't miss the TV or radio at all, I've got all my own entertainment saved on hard drives anyway, that way I don't have to put up with the adverts. I'd have a battery bank, solar and wind power.

Seriously, anyone who reads this and feels the same way, let me know. I'm 33, with no responsibilities and nothing to lose, just need to find another like minded person really.

• Too Right......why not? Cold is shit. But if fuel requires a chainsaw and food a gun.....so what. Is it really any worse than negotiating restrictive rule and slavery. At least when the time comes and you can hunt no more you have a weapon to facilitate a clean and dignified end.

• I want to die without a trace, naturally without any prolonged suffering and don't believe in memorials. I prefer a cold climate to hot, many people out there do and most don't know what they prefer until they've tried both over long times. I feel less drowsy and more alive in the cold. And don't forget, the summers are long and warm apparently.