Finding your thing!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• OK I am keeping it clean ;)

When i say thing! ... I mean passion, talent, skill.... something you enjoy so much you live and breathe it.

So lets hear what your thing is?

Also I invite you to share any tips for some of us lot who are still trying to find our "niche" our "thing"

• Hill walking is my thing. I get such a buzz from reaching the top. The feeling of achievement and the spectacular views are second to none.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

• Yup , I am with Pebbles , Mountains are my thing :)

20 years back, I was bimbling up Sharp Edge on Blencathera in the lakes on a sunday morning after attending a rave the night before , I encountered a Brocken Spectre for the fist time
    , and thought I was having a religious experience :)

• Why keep it clean. The thing is the thing for most but I suppose once one is spent there needs to be another thing to fill the regeneration gap.

Anything can be a thing. Food, ale, wine, whiskey (dash of water required IMO) , exercise, growing things, scenery...... Bla .....bla....

The THING though.....well the THING is that capitalists HAVE ALREADY TAKEN IT.

Best find a pretend THING.

• Trees, wood, making stuff, fixing stuff.

I've always loved the woods. It's a place to calm my mind. I love the beauty and strength of trees and I love trying to make the most of any piece of woods, natural beauty.........if only I could find a way to make all these thing pay the bills!

• I don't have an overriding "thing" - I get satisfaction from a number of things. Repairing and making stuff, land/woods/quiet places/the countryside. Growing things, photography, sex, conversation with like-minded people.

Sometimes I wish that I did have one "passion" - because as it is there are just too many things I want to do :o

' When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place '

• I think my thing changes as i find it...scatty in my things,like my mind,lol,it was stained glass which is sadly all packed at the mo for the move,at the mo my thing is my aromatherapy course,loving it,and of course the biggest thing im passionate about.. uj💜xx

20 years back, I was bimbling up Sharp Edge on Blencathera in the lakes on a sunday morning after attending a rave the night before , I encountered a Brocken Spectre for the fist time

Fab! I've yet to see one!

• I think my thing changes as i find it...scatty in my things,like my mind,lol,it was stained glass which is sadly all packed at the mo for the move,at the mo my thing is my aromatherapy course,loving it,and of course the biggest thing im passionate about.. ujxx

I am a bit like that too. I find something that interests me then i kind of move on to something else. Its not that I get bored with it i just want to try other things.
    Similar to Chilli i like trying to make things from wood... now that the pole lathe is " almost finished" i can turn a few objects of wood and maybe make a bowl.
    I think my thing is creativity - i like making things.
    There is also a passion for travel and i want to do more of that....

Wowwwww Super Tripy Coool ma bungo :)))

• Well My First Thing Is Defo Like Some Of You Guys On Here ..
    Being ...Beautiful Mountain Forests And Nature ...As I Love Them And Can And Could Get Lost In There Beautifulness And Never Come Out ....Especially The Beautiful Mountain Forest Mists ...Being As I From The Beautiful Mountain Forest And Their Beautiful Magical Mists hehehe ..:))
    Then After That It Is Many Things ...The Love Of The Forests And Wood. The Love Of All Music And Dance From All Cultures And Races The ...Arts ...Crafts ..Etc Etc As I Too Am Kinda Bouncie So My Mind Bounces From One To The Other ...hehehe
    And .."I LOVE GETTING MY THING ON" hahahaha:)

• My thing is walking and nature, it really makes me happy, calm and peaceful, apparently I used to take myself off on walks when I was a small girl from the age of about three, my mum said I would go missing and she would be frantic looking for me and I would be found on the high street just walking and talking to people, the thing is I am still the same now, I have to walk everyday it just feeds my soul.

• Making stuff, be it the jewellery I sell or knitting myself a new summer shawl, sewing, embroidering, it all makes me calm and centred, a bit like meditation. Also being outside in nature and growing lovely veggies in my garden!

• Daydreaming is one of my passions! Love the fact that I can be anything and go anywhere. Would also have to say angels and Angel cards and a big dollop of manifestation and other psychic stuff.
    I also love singing and music and generally being creative!

• I think this is a really great thread, and I've been thinking a lot about this 'finding your thing' thing recently. I sometimes feel a huge disconnect between the person I am on the outside i.e. to everyone else (what they see me as, not how I deliberately portray myself) and the person I am on the inside i.e. what I see myself as being. Sometimes I wonder if the two sides of me that I see are compatible. They must be compatible, because that's the life I'm living, but then again they don't fit together on paper. Sometimes it's job related, sometimes it's just the way I am in every other aspect. No-one would know I live the way I do when I walk past them in the street. But should that matter? Who am I living for anyway - myself, or someone else? Recently I've realised that the only person I should care about living for is myself and so it's that inside person that I'm concentrating on more and more. Anyway, I could ramble about this all night because I've been thinking about it loads, but great post and it's awesome to read about all the things that are getting the UKH community out of bed in the morning!!

• Raffi - living for yourself and being true to yourself is very very hard, I feel you xx I am exactly the same I may look like boring middle aged housewife but inside. If you could journey with me inside my mind you would see the most amazing things x

• So do we subconsciously create two (or maybe even more) identities to use depending on the situation? Or is it a deliberate way to fit in with society?

• So do we subconsciously create two (or maybe even more) identities to use depending on the situation? Or is it a deliberate way to fit in with society?

I reckon most people have different identities, but the collective identities is what makes them who they are. People can say, "I'm a this" or "I'm a that", but when it comes down to it they are a lot of things and that's what makes them unique as a person. I never really realised this until recently. It's funny. When people ask 'what I do', I never really know how to answer. I've got the thing I am by training/vocation, and two other jobs that are in a similar line of work but not the same, and then there's the things that I actually spend my time doing! The whole mix of them together is 'what I do', but try explaining that to someone! Haha guess I'll have to pick a main job and make life easier for myself ;)