Salad lunch - am I overdoing it?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey all,
    I decided to switch from sandwiches to salad for lunch a while back. I buy a truckload of salad on Sunday, and it lasts me through to Thursday (I do something different on Friday to keep a bit of variety).

I'm below 13st in weight (down from 16 and a half from a few years ago), but I seem to be creeping closer to 13st again. The only change to my diet recently has been the salad, so I'm wondering whether I'm putting too much salad in or something. Does anyone have any pointers? Any vegetables I should add or try to avoid? :)

The current daily salad is like this:
    75g spinach (I was using lettuce, but darker greens are better I believe)
    Chopped quarter of green, yellow and red peppers
    Around 4 radishes
    1 or 2 sticks of baby corn
    2 spring onions
    2-4 celery sticks
    3-4 button mushrooms
    125g of sliced carrots
    About 60ml of fat free vinaigrette dressing
    Plus some bread-based thing on the side (usually one and a half wholemeal pittas, but this week I bought sandwich thins as pittas were all gone, and I'm taking three slices with me each day).

It barely fits into a pretty large container, and it's noticeable heavy (but I'm guessing that's mostly water weight). It takes me most of my break time to eat it (45 minutes), and I don't get hungry again until about half past 4.

Any advice? :waves:

• Obligatory photo. :D

(There's two days' worth of dressing in the bottle by the way)

Winner of "member with the most whacked out ideas about life 2011" award.

The post was edited 1 time, last by Power_13 ().

• If you are going to have a salad dressing, just get a full fat one, or some oil, as the ingredients they use to replace the fats from the dressing aren't particularly good for you, and a lack of healthy fats can lead to cravings later in the day.... And if what's left in the bottle os two days worth, you're definitely having too much dressing lol, the calories in the dressing is usually sky high!

If you want a low cal dressing : 1 teaspoon of honey, 1teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, add water until pourable 😊 tastes nommy!

• Firstly Congratulations On Loosing Your Weight In The First Place Power_13 :)).....And Secondly ....Be Careful On The Carbs Meaning The Thins And The Pittas because even though Wholemeal And You Think Thats Healthier There Is Lots Of Hidden Salts And Sugars Etc Due To The Processing They Go Through ...So The Better Option Is Buying ..Finding An Organic Bread Like Sainsburys Do One That Does Not Break The Bank ..And The Reason Why Organic Is Because
    It Has Not Gone Through The Over Processing And Then Having The Hidden Bits In .....Even Slimming World Aboud Pittas ..Breads..Thins Etc Even Though Wholemeal I Know This As My Daughter Is On Slimming World And Breads Etc Is A Rare Treat And Not Had Often And I Know About Over Processing And Hidden Stuff Because My Son Is A Personal Trainer And We As A Family Try To Buy All Organic When We Can As A Lot Of The Supermarkets Stock More Of It Now And It Not Always Is Over Ridiculious Priced Too Hahaha

Most people load up on the carbs to fill them up ..and think wholemeal is safe ...but believe me it is not always the case because as said the over processing ...and Carbs Mean Bloating And Hidden Sugars And High Salt ..Truly .
    And turn to carbs "Breads..Pittas..Rolls..Thins Etc" To Fill The Hunger Gap A Bowl Full Of Salad Ia Still Not Filling Enough No Matter How Much Salad As Salad Turns To Water And Just So Leaves You Hungry ....And Craving Sadly ...
    A Good Tip Is And A Great Weightloss Way Is ...
    Think Healthy Carbs (Slow Burning And Filling) ....
    Buy Yourself ...Or Look Around ..For ..
    Organic Wholemeal Pasta (Spaghetti ..Pasta..Cous Cous Etc) .....Sainsbury Do A Range Called "SO" Organic .....A Bag Of Wholemeal "So" Organic Pasta Is £1.25/45.p ..A Bag Of "So Organic Cous Cous (Which Even What Looks Small Say 160grammes Raw ..Cooks Into A Massive Filling Amount ..Thats About £1.45 In Sainsbury ...And Their "So Organic Wholemeal Spaghetti "Is About £1.35" .........So Instead Of Big Salad With Pittas/Thins Etc And Dressings .. Change To Any Of The Organic Pastas ...Which Are Really Filling Truly As NOT Over Processed And So Really Make You Feel Full ....And No Need For Carb Type Peocessed Wheats Like Pittas Etc ....Here Is A Good Example ...
    160/70 Gramms Of Sainsbury "So Organic Cous Cous"
    Pour Into Glass Pyrex Jug ...(Which Will Look Not Like Much"
    Pour Boiling Water Over The Top So Covers The Rice By Say 2inches
    Wack It In Microwave And Full Power 2/3mins ....You Will End Up With A Massive Jug Full Of Swollen Cous Cous (If No Microwave Boil In Saucepan ...
    Tip Into Big Container ...Add As Much Cooked Or Raw Veg/Cooked Veg Or Salad Stuff You Want Too (Add Turkey Or Chicken If Not Vegetarian) ..Add Herbs If You Want .Etc
    And Believe Me That Will Fill You And You Might Even Struggle Eating It As It Is So Filling .....And You Will Not Need Breads Or Over Processed Carbs With Hidden Sugars Salts And Fats .
    And Always Remember A Good Tip Is ...
    Breakfast "Eat Like A King " .....(Sizes Amounts Etc)
    Lunch ....."Eat Like A Prince " (Sizes Amounts)
    Dinner ......"Eat Like A Pauper" ....*Smaller Portions "
    Reduce Carbs Unless Organic ....Have Sweet Potatoes Instead Of White As Sweet Potatoes....NO DRESSINGS haha Unless You Make Healthy One Eat Lean Meats And Chicken Turkey Etc Ibstead Of The Reds If You Are Not A Vegetarian ....Drink Water At Least 2 Litres A Day ..And A Really Good Lettuce That Is Soooo Packed Full Of Good Stuff And Does Not Go To Water And Waste Is "ROMAIN LETTACE" It Looks Like A Long Coss Lettace And Its Great Value For Money As You Get
    *TWO BIG ONES* In One Packet In Lidles For £1.00 .....And None Of It Is Turned Into Water By Body Like Normal Regular Lettaces ....Look Up Romain Lettace And You Will See How Packed It Is With Nutrition And Vitamins ..:)
    These Are Just A Few Little Things That I Hope Help You :)

• Ps ....If You Need Any Help Just PM Me And I Will Help You With Some Tips Etc As I Will Ask My Son Who Is As Said A Personal Trainer And Nutrition Qualified ...Once Again Congratulations On Loosing Weight And Carrying On To Eat More Healthly As Its So Easy To Loose Weight And Not Carrying On Afterwards . SO You Are Doing Great And Should Feel Proud Of Yourself :))) x

• Shock your system.

Change things around a bit.

Try a small oatmeal breakfast and 2 hrly snacking rather than a lunch.

Sounds like you are disciplined.

Body shock works.

Milk and mustard dressing is great on salads. It is literally milk and mustard mixed to preferred taste and consistency.

• Cheers everyone.

Whitepoppy - the calorie count doesn't look too bad on the dressing, but I'm probably looking with untrained eyes (still fairly new to actually counting this sort of thing). I did see a couple of odd things on the ingredients too. After a quick search I found they were thickeners, and one of them (carrageenan) is pretty unhealthy. I'll definitely try that honey and mustard dressing as an alternative, it sounds great! I'm guessing it scales up; 4 spoons of each + water = enough for 4 days?

Thanks for the congratulations Danann I'll look out for organic breads, I had a look around but I think wholemeal was the closest I could find. I did find a section with stuff like gluten free bread, that sort of thing...I'll see whether there's anything there next time round.

I did plan on making my own "pot noodle" by saving some baby sweetcorn, scraps of pepper and mushrooms over the week and throwing them into a cup with a block of thin noodles and a spoonful of curry sauce - then just add boiling water at work. I did that for a while, but the carb count seemed a bit high at around 45g. :/ I'll look at cous cous as an addition to the salad though, and maybe take some parts of the salad out (I'll have to to fit anything else in )

• It does scale up. Play about with it, you can adjust those measurements, that's just what we found works. I also like watered down tomato puree, with balsamic vinegar, oregano, basil and some finely chopped garlic.

Generally on the bottles it will give a calorie:mls ratio, and its usually just showing the bottle to the salad. Its always in super small print.

And yeah, definitely congratulations on the weight loss. 😊

• Just discovered this dressing , i love it not so strong , hope you enjoy... & well done you for your weight loss
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1 teaspoon sea salt
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

• I don't want to give too much advice, because I think it needs to be seen in context with anything else you eat and drink - other meals, alcohol intake, sugar and snacks for instance.

When I was desperate to lose weight (I'm currently 11 stone 5 and at my heaviest I was 14 stone) I was eating salad boxes but the bread and cheese (pre-vegan) and other sauces pretty much cancelled out any of the good I was getting from the salads. It was only when I changed my approach that I started to see results.

So, in my experience the best way to lose weight fast is to cut out the bread, the white carbs (including spuds and sugar) and grains, stick to vegetables and change your mindset to eat for function rather than taste. All the trendy diets, from raw to paleo and juicing seem to follow this.

Alternatively try living on soup and stress for a month :D

• I was interested in this as I'm in a similar situation due to a new job & working away from home. I think in my case the problem is the extras; flapjack, nuts, fruit etc & lack of exercise due to being so tired. Maybe when the noisy bastards in the B&B wake me up at 5.30 I should go for a shuffle round the park rather than trying to get an extra hours sleep.

I would also say that your salad would do me two days, same for the sauce, so I guess I eat more. Oil, vinegar & mustard is my current fave.

Do you do any exercise Power_13?

• I don't at the moment. When I started trying to lose weight I'd spend about 25 minutes on an exercise bike every night. I started running for a while last year, and I have an occasional pop at regular press-ups. For some reason I get headaches from doing press-ups, up to the point where I start getting regular optical migraines. Bad technique or something maybe?

I'll probably get back onto the bike when I have room for it. :)

• As previously articulated, more information would be necessary to provide specific advice. Of course, the goal is caloric deficit and, for that, you need to account for your basal metabolic rate (this is how many calories you would burn throughout the day if you were completely sadatory) and your level of physical activity.

The problem with some people's weight loss attempts is that they don't have the information in the heads; people just go for a general approach of eating less volume and/or eating less 'fatty foods'. As a result some eat more calories than they should or, often, eat severely less calories than they should — the infamous 'crash dieter'. The latter case isn't sustainable and can mess up the metabolism as well as causing health complications.

For weight loss, common wisdom seems to be to eat no more than 500 calories below your total daily energy expenditure. Moreover, to avoid malnourishing the body, you should be generally aware of getting in a variety of food choices to ensure you are providing plenty of vitamins and minerals — though many people seem to rely on multi vitamins these days to hit basic levels across the board.

On the food side all I'll say, as others have alluded to, 'fat free' isn't always the way to go, especially when you are free wheeling your diet without the aforementioned numbers. Indeed, fat free can sometimes just mean higher sugars; moreover, fat free can sometimes lead people in to a false sense of security and cause them to over indulge. In addition, whilst fat is more calorie dense than proteins and carbs (fat yields 9 calories per gram whereas the others yield 4 calories), fat isn't necessarily the enemy. Indeed, fear of fat can steer people towards more carb-heavy meals and, depending on individual sensitivities, these carb meals can significantly elevate your glucose levels and, in turn, insulin levels. The consequence of this can be more cravings throughout the day and less satiation. Indeed, some people find themselves put on a more even keel by ensuring their first meal of the day is high in fat and protein and low in carbs. Admittedly, it can get all very individual — and you certainly need to listen to your own body above everything else — but these are things to think about. Indeed, I won't even go in to all the important psychological aspects of such health endeavours as, whilst fascinating, I would end up writing an essay lol.

Best wishes

• I had a friend doing a calorie controlled diet, who would forgo eating a normal meal in favour of a crisp butty and a pint, because it averaged out the same amount of calories. He lost weight, but got ill so often, and had migraines too. We had to intervene in the end, because he looked like death warmed up. Calorie control is not always the way forward if you don't research beforehand x

• I had a friend doing a calorie controlled diet, who would forgo eating a normal meal in favour of a crisp butty and a pint, because it averaged out the same amount of calories. He lost weight, but got ill so often, and had migraines too. We had to intervene in the end, because he looked like death warmed up. Calorie control is not always the way forward if you don't research beforehand x

Christ, what a horrible idea.

It's true that to lose weight, you pretty much need to eat fewer calories than you consume, but some people really misinterpret that information, like this nutter: http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/03/…he-whole-of-2016-5659864/

With regards to the salad for lunch business, I totally agree that the dressing and bread is likely the problem.

There are lots of easy healthy vinaigrettes you can make yourself. And cheaper too! I'm quite partial to balsamic vinegar and pepper on my salads

If you find the salad by itself isn't filling you up, instead of bread I would recommend mixing in some beans. Very healthy and full of energy, and much more filling than most other veg :)

• If you want a low cal dressing : 1 teaspoon of honey, 1teaspoon of wholegrain mustard, add water until pourable  tastes nommy!

I tried this today. It was pretty good, I think I watered it down a bit too much though - it was quite runny. Nice though. :)

Next time I think I might add some extra virgin olive oil into it, for the healthy fats. Just a teaspoon or two. Good idea or bad?

• I tried this today. It was pretty good, I think I watered it down a bit too much though - it was quite runny. Nice though. :)

Next time I think I might add some extra virgin olive oil into it, for the healthy fats. Just a teaspoon or two. Good idea or bad?

Good idea. You can buy hemp oil from Tesco now, which is really good for you. I'm glad you tried it and liked it. If you add too much water, just put a little more mustard in to rethicken x