Liquid Fertilisers.

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• As with compost you can pretty much use anything as a liquid fertiliser, there are also a few different ways to end up with your liquid gold. Here's just a few to get the thread underway and how I make mine, there is no waste that I can think of as the liquid is used to water plants and foliage and the solid leftovers can go in a wormery or on the compost.

Banana Skins.

Good for potassium so good for most plants, way I do mine is cut the skins up and put in a plastic bottle till around half full then fill with water. I then leave it for a couple of days then use to water the plants using a one part banana tea to four parts water, there is no waste as I cut the bottle open and use as a mini propagator and put the skins in the wormery. You could also put the skins on the compost or if your planting something, specially roses then dig your hole put the skins in then plant your plant.

Seaweed.

This is more for the soil than the plant but benefits your plants in the long run, get a couple of pints of seaweed, chop up and put into 5 gallons of water then leave for a couple of weeks. Then just drench the soil, repeat every month in the summer if you can get hold of enough seaweed. One tip, if your going to use other liquid fertilisers then put this on first as this is for the soil, you want your plant fertilisers to stay near the plant roots and putting this on after would wash your plant fertiliser away from the roots.

Molasses.

Never used this so can't really tell you how good it is, however looking around it is used widely. This one's an easy one, you could either put a tablespoon into other liquid fertilisers depending on the ammount your using. Or just add a couple of tablespoons into a gallon of water then water your plants, what I've read it improves veg production and sizes.

So there's just a few which i'll add to in time or feel free to add your liquid fertilisers or your methods. Happy Growing, Neil.

• urine is a source of nitrogen and we all have an unlimited supply! mix 5 parts water to 1 part wee. water onto the soil around the plant not directly onto stem or leaves.

• urine is a source of nitrogen and we all have an unlimited supply! mix 5 parts water to 1 part wee. water onto the soil around the plant not directly onto stem or leaves.

Spot on although not one I've used, not posted it yet but nettle is probably my go to one, simple reason we have loads of the stuff growing near work.

Nettles.

Nettles are very easy to get so you shouldn't have a problem getting them, I usually cut the whole plant down as close to ground level as possible. I use the top couple leaves for nettle tea the drinking kind. I then put the rest of the plant in a bucket and give it a quick chop up with the shears. Once cut I put an old piece of chickeh wire on top and a brick and cover the nettles with water, then it's just a case of wait 3 weeks. My usual ratio is 10 parts water to 1 part nettle, this one you can use on or around plants. Couple pointers 1 Use gloves, not rocket science why. 2 If you use it when in seed cut the seed head off and throw it away. 3 It does smell a bit so place it out of the way or a sealed container. Just keep topping it up during the year with nettles and water, end of the growing year put the leftover sludge and water on the compost. Happy Growing, Neil.

• Nice one Neil, I didn't know about the banana skins one... seems obvious now you mention it... they're well known for the human potassium benefits. That there Monty Don also raves about comfry in the same fashion as nettles... I think nettles and comfry have slightly different NPK levels though.

• Nice one Neil, I didn't know about the banana skins one... seems obvious now you mention it... they're well known for the human potassium benefits. That there Monty Don also raves about comfry in the same fashion as nettles... I think nettles and comfry have slightly different NPK levels though.

Much appreciated, thanks for bringing the NPK levels up. Most if not all these fertilisers are aimed at veg, as an example nettle fertiliser wouldn't be a good thing for your flowers in large doses as it promotes leafy growth so not a great advantage for blooms. I intend on editing the first post by introducing a list of all fertilisers that are posted, there advantages and if they should be for base watering or foliage watering or both. One tip I would give is if you do use any of these fertilisers then keep a log of what you used on which plant, how much you used and when you used it and also the results. Post them at the end of the growing season and we could all have bumper crops next year. :D

• It could be a bit co-incidental, but I've been tipping the gritty bits from the bottom of my filter coffee mug into some pepper plant pots on my windowsill - and they seem to do quite well from it. Same with the remains of tea :)

• It could be a bit co-incidental, but I've been tipping the gritty bits from the bottom of my filter coffee mug into some pepper plant pots on my windowsill - and they seem to do quite well from it. Same with the remains of tea :)

Ah yes, there's some write ups about this... I think it was related to either chilli growers or tomatoe growers..... Chilli's I think. The thought being that a 10% mix of used coffee grounds in the potting compost gave the plants a resistance to thrip attack. I've not tried it yet, but will do next year - coffee shops will give you the material for free.

• Ah - worth an experiment, my little chilli plant did really well (until my brother forgot to water it when I was away!).
    I shouldn't need to get any from the coffee shop, given how much of the stuff I drink in order to function :D

• No coincidence Muninn, what ffs says is correct. Coffee grounds aka gritty bits have nitrogen in them however according to one study the nitrogen isn't released until the microorganisms within the soil break the coffee grounds down, I'm thinking water with seaweed fertiliser first would be a good idea as it helps build up microorganisms. Some use coffee grounds on their compost, some use it as a mulch as slugs don't like it.

• Muninn, I know it's probably normal tea your talking about but don't put any leftover ginger tea on any plant. I've always put leftover drinks on plants and never done any harm, anyway last summer I drank a fair bit of ginger tea and poured the leftovers on a blueberry bush and killed it. Now the blueberry bush was next to two other bushes of the same variety, same soil everything only difference with it being nearest to the table it got the bits of ginger tea, no other explanation.

• I use old coffee around my blueberry's they love it I think it's best used around acid loving plant's but I might be wrong.

May try it on my blueberries, I'm going to replant them on one of the plots so maybe throw some in the hole before I put them in.

• When I was a kid I was paid £ per fertiliser sack of collected sheep dropping (sheep shit) this was then put into a barrel of water for a few weeks. Then applied to growing veg. No idea what properties it holds. It was easy to collect although really heavy to carry a sack full, but the money was good.
    Another thing was soot from cleaning chimneys. What's that all about?

• When I was a kid I was paid £ per fertiliser sack of collected sheep dropping (sheep shit) this was then put into a barrel of water for a few weeks. Then applied to growing veg. No idea what properties it holds. It was easy to collect although really heavy to carry a sack full, but the money was good.
    Another thing was soot from cleaning chimneys. What's that all about?

Sheep manure is about average in nitrogen compared to the other manures, however it's higher in potassium than the others. Soot is good for breaking heavy soils up also keeps slugs away but needs to be weathered bit like compost, also contains potash but you have to watch out on what was burned on the fire. You can also use the ashes from a fire for the same kind of reasons as soot. I know my Grandad used to put his ashes from the fire onto his rose bushes, then let the rain wash the nutrients down into the roots.

• Epsom Salts.

Good for onions, broccoli, cabbages, tomatoes, peppers and roses bringing you healthier, sweeter tasting veg although not sure if they make your roses taste sweeter :o 1 tbsp per 1 gallon of water every two weeks is the recommendation. Some even sprinkle a bit round seedlings, aids the photosynthesis of the plant.

Grass Clippings.

Never used grass clippings, simple reason I don't have a lawn although easy enough to get hold of them. Put the clippings into a 5 gallon drum or any drum/barrel then fill it a 1/3 full with clippings and top up with water and leave for a couple of days. Strain and water your plants, like with most of the fertilisers you can put the leftover sludge on the compost but remember use when not in seed or take the seed heads off. The N (nitrogen) P (phosphorus) K (potassium) level is 4-0.5-2, so a decent ammount of nitrogen and potassium, also thank you to ffs for bringing the NPK up. As with the nettle fertiliser I would use a bit of chicken wire or such thing with a weight ontop before I put water on it, helps to get the goodies out of the clippings and makes straining it easier.

• Wowww.....All this stuff is Eye Opening And Reallg Cool And Some Funny Ones Too.....hehehe
    Esp The Wee Wee Ones hahaha As My Bubaz Is Always Cocking His Legs Up My Flowers And The Always Grow Mahoosive With Lots Of Pretty Flowers And Colours ..BUT Also The Reason WHY I Plant My Veggies And Fruits In Pots Or Boxes "Off The Ground" hahaha...:))

My Grape Vine Is Doing Great I Purchased A Few Months Ago And Shooting Lots Of Vines:)) So His Wee Wee Is Making That Thrive And Dont Mind Wee Wee Roots As The Grapes What I Am Going To Eat Hopefully This Year Are "OFF THE GROUND" Hahahaha :))

• Manure.

I'm giving this a post of it's own and covering the different manures also in one post as apart from the NPK values, how you use it and make it are pretty much the same.

NPK Levels.

Cow 0.6-0.4-0.5
    Horse 0.7-0.3-0.6
    Pig 0.8-0.7-0.5
    Chicken 1.1-0.8-0.5
    Sheep 0.7-0.3-0.9
    Rabbit 2.4-1.4-0.6

I've done horse and chicken fertiliser but not the rest, missed a trick a few years back as the next door neighbour had a rabbit but never got any of it's manure. How do I make mine, well I have a small blue barrel well two there the little brothers of the big ones used for water butts on allotments. Anyway you can actually buy net bags for this purpose but I use old pillowcases, I don't wash them after use but I get a few uses out of them. So I put the manure into the case around 1/3 full and tie it shut with some string, then it's a matter of filling the barrel with water, some suspend the bag in water but I just give it a stir a couple times a day. Then just wait, I wait about a week take the bag out throw the manure on the compost. The ratio I use is usually 1:1 but I sometimes go undiluted if I feel the plants need a boost. I try to use rainwater as much as I can but tap water is fine, this is an all purpose fertiliser and most plants will love it.

ps If you think I get new pillowcases every couple weeks your wrong, like I say I get a few uses out of them plus I put the feelers out at work and such. There washed when I get them but I give them a wash without soap.

• I've always wondered what you could with those bags, up until recently I could get my hands on loads of them but sadly can't as they changed to an hopper system. I never look at anything without thinking if I could do something with it, wether I need it or not.

• I use to use one as a Sea Anchor on my Boat, In order to Stop Drifting to much in open water & while I partook in a Beverage & a Donut ,
    Similarly they make Great Droges,
    You can also Fill with Soil, and Plant Potatoes in one, Strawberries in another etc, You can also fill them with all kinds of Rubble, Rubbish and position them as a Wall, Growing BlackBerry on the top, You could Plant Dwarf Fruit Trees in them, this way they are Ok to plant if only got a Hard standing area, and are portable ofcourse.

• I use Colloidal Silver a good pesticide and enhance growth, which you can make your self.

I don't want to advertise but the company behind goodvitality.com who sell apparatus to make it your self, they're quitting 30 aprilt cause they have been sued from breaking 6 EU laws regarding cancer treatment.

• I'm toying with the idea of getting a couple of emu's I know they like eating dock's which are everywhere around me then I could use the end result on the veggie plot nice:clap:

Better off getting a couple of 8 week old piglets , they will eat dock , nettles ,brambles,grass ,plough , dig out big rocks and in another 4 months you will have 150 kilos of bacon,sausage and joints !

• Yep there on the list for the future, my ground holds a lot of water in the winter though plus I wanted a gritter that's low maintenance to improve the pasture with their feet a bit,something that can be left on it's own for a day or three if necessary,and I quite like the idea of having to watch out for them when I wonder out into the night for a slash it's the sort of thing that keeps you on your toes.