My first van

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hello all!

I've been looking into van dwelling for many, many months now as house prices are out of control; if I want to move out of my parents -and- live comfortably I realised I needed to take drastic action.

The same day that I was about to put down a deposit on a van online - any vw - I noticed one parked 2 streets down from me. For a week I'd go past it in my friends car, for it to be there teasing me - I'd walk up to it some hours later for it to be gone!

I made a special journey with a friend and described the van to him while making the walk - it was there! I copied down the phone number and had a look. I was very shocked to see it had bull bars and a bike rack fitted!

The price was steep, but with power steering, a modified Passat 1.9 turbo diesel engine, power windows and it being just mot'd & road ready - I decided to go over budget and grab it.

This website's photo upload system makes me want to cry - so here is a link to IMGUR.
    http://imgur.com/a/mRgMR

I've already added 2x 110ah batteries, I'm planning to install 2x100w solar panels to the roof to make me fairly self-sufficient. Just waiting for the parts to arrive!

I have plans to travel around england & europe - i've only ever been to one other country being France. If anyone else has similar plans/is already on this journey please get in touch :)

Joel

• Van looks friendly and fun!

Are you going to strip it and mod it to your own spec or just use as is? If it's standard there's a million ways to make it even more suited to you and use valuable space while crating even more space. If space is your thing that is.

I am currently looking for a van now and know exactly what I want so it's just a case of waiting really. I plan to start this journey either Oct/nov 16 or early 17.

I want to take some form of business on the road, be it selling coffees and teas at festivals, or making and selling my own jewellery online.
    I want to press 'reset' and 'restart' and just see what the world has for me!

Be gerat to see some inside pics of van.

• Thank you! I was also thinking of doing something on the road... I'll definatly make YouTube content/run a blog but i'm aware that more than likely won't cover my costs and I may have to pick up temporary work/work at festivals.

As it is, the van has tonnes of storage space and it works well - but there is a seat unit with a chemical toilet by the side door that I may completely rip out to make space for a beanbag which can be stored overhead - I've already comfortably(ish) sat four inside my van and would like to open that up to 5/6 while having the option to sleep 3/4 at a push. I think that although i'm challenged I'll be able to do it!

I'll snap some insides and upload them for you soon :)

Hi Webbit, just looked at the pictures, cool van mate. :thumbup:

Thanks for your comments :)

• I have slept 6 in a bay window camper, the sliding door needs to be left open so there is space to scatch your own butt.

Cool van though, as you say the prices are steep, but they hold their resale value like no other van, lots of outlay, but it is like money in the bank.

Good luck with your plans.

Oh, be nice to the engine, no heavy towing or tearing around flat out, they are a little over stressed in a van that size and appreciate being treated like a delicate flower. If going somewhere hot, make sure the cooling system is flushed and in notch condition.

You cannot upload pics here until you have a certain number of posts.

• As it is, the van has tonnes of storage space and it works well - but there is a seat unit with a chemical toilet by the side door that I may completely rip out to make space for a beanbag which can be stored overhead

when you get to my age, you start to need a toilet at night. lol

• Elf an safety. They were said to damage pedestrians. It came in a few years ago, 1 Jan 2001, and only included vans registered from that date.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/1676832.stm

if im gonna get hit by a vehicle i really wouldn't give a shit if it had bull bars or not.... when its shaped like a breeze block anyway!

KEEP THE BARS THEY LOOK THE MUTTS!

• Yeah the bull bars do give it a real adventure mobile look.
    So if I buy a van before 2001 it's good ot get the bull treatment?
    Not that I will, just interested to know.

"The new code contains nothing to stop car users having bull bars fitted after they had bought the vehicles - although the manufacturers themselves would pledge not to market or supply them as bars. "

I would say you can still fit an aftermarket bullbar, to anything. Looks like the ban was only on new cars having them fitted out of the showroom.

• if im gonna get hit by a vehicle i really wouldn't give a shit if it had bull bars or not.... when its shaped like a breeze block anyway!

KEEP THE BARS THEY LOOK THE MUTTS!

The only way these bars are coming off is if someone steals them - which is kind of likely. The 3rd owner said they are worth around £500 because they are so rare?

Ooooooh it's gorgeous. Is it a boy van or a girl van?

To tell you the truth I haven't named it yet. I think I will name & gender it on my first real adventure in it!