New Van Required Urgently

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hey everyone,

Lots of you helped me out in 2014 when I realised the only way forward was to pass my driving test and convert a van as cheaply as poss. My beautiful van is currently sitting in Scotland needing £800+ work (cam belt took out pushrods and valves) so I'm just seeing who is selling what as it may well be better for me to change vehicles.

I don't have a huge budget. Looking at £500-700 for anything not already converted and around up to £1000 for anything already done.

I spend around 2 weeks a month living in the van now (new boyfriend came with a house) when I'm on tour working so all work is on hold until I have wheels again.

Thanks in advance everyone X

• What sort of van, and where about r u.
    Push rods and cylinder heads can be straightened and sorted.
    A new engine is an option.
    Now is a bad time to buy camper vans the price will be cheaper in November.

Pushrods? You for real? 99% of all vehicles have Cambelts these days.

• Its a good job you said that because I never thought of that, DIs have push rods hay,...I knew that ... Pushrods can be straightened so can valves etc.
    Snapped can belts can be sorted, its just the price that counts.
    Ever thought of doing it your selt

• Pushrods? You for real? 99% of all vehicles have Cambelts these days.

Yeah but the cambelt makes the camshaft go roundy round , that makes the pushrods go up and downy that makes the rockers rock that make your valves open , and so on probably a song about it somewhere

• You have learnt a hard lesson, ALWAYS replace your cambelt and tensioner when you buy a used Van, even if the seller says its been done, Oil change and filter also a must do as recommended by manufacturer for both. Do some homework, it will prob be best to get a recondtioned engine,at least then you should get reliability or a good second hand one but fit new belt and tesioner etc. As a tip for the future vehicles are like people you got to treat them with respect, just be careful there are loads of rip off merchants in the van world, your budget is not goin to go far. feel free to ask any questions of me if your unsure, I am a mechanic.

• crankshaft moves con rods then the pistons , don't know what engine you have but I would love to see a piston open a valve ?

• Not those pistons the valve pistons.
    You are talking about an overhead valve engine, which has a camshaft, pushrods and rocker arms which open the valves.
    Your engine does not have a cambelt.
    The original post is nonsense and speaks of pushrods and a can belt.
    If it has a cambelt it is overhead cam, it does not have pushrods or rocker arms.

• OH my GOD, some of you know nowt bout engines. The camshaft does not move pistons thats the Crankshaft which you seem to be. the Cambelt is attached to the crank pulley and cam pulley when it turns it spins the camshaft which opens the valves via pusrods or followers and other bits I wont confuse you with. if the belt snaps or comes off, your camshaft stops along with valves opening and closing, your pistons then impact on valves, with the result of smashing pistons bending valves etc etc, basically the motors SCRAP, I have known people get away with it but its just pure fluke.who said valves can be straightend not in a month of sundays would I even think about that, they will just bend again total waste of £

• OH my GOD, some of you know nowt bout engines. The camshaft does not move pistons thats the Crankshaft which you seem to be. the Cambelt is attached to the crank pulley and cam pulley when it turns it spins the camshaft which opens the valves via pusrods or followers and other bits I wont confuse you with. if the belt snaps or comes off, your camshaft stops along with valves opening and closing, your pistons then impact on valves, with the result of smashing pistons bending valves etc etc, basically the motors SCRAP, I have known people get away with it but its just pure fluke.who said valves can be straightend not in a month of sundays would I even think about that, they will just bend again total waste of £

Bull shit.
    Assuming it is overhead cam ...the crank shaft drives the cambelt which turns the camshaft, which rests on small pistons which push the valves.

Not the pistons attached to the crank via the conrods, the small valve pistons in the rocker box. Rocker boxes do not have rockers these days.
    What van is it?
    I/we will see if we can save you a few £ hundred.

• Not wanting to but in...But...
    Um my old moggie minor had a camshaft, but this was fitted in the cylinder block (bottom part ) and not in the head (top part) this operated the pushrods, which opened the valves. In this case the camshaft tends to be driven by a timing chain.

Newer vehicles (with the exception of some) still have a camshaft but this is fitted in the head and operates the cam followers (hydraulic lifters) which in turn open the valves. In this case the camshaft tends to be driven by a camshaft belt.

So technically you are all right, all cars have camshafts and all camshafts (via whichever medium) open the valves.

• Bull shit.
    Assuming it is overhead cam ...the crank shaft drives the cambelt which turns the camshaft, which rests on small pistons which push the valves.

Not the pistons attached to the crank via the conrods, the small valve pistons in the rocker box. Rocker boxes do not have rockers these days.
    What van is it?
    I/we will see if we can save you a few £ hundred.

They are not pistons Uncle Knobhead you either have direct contact shims or tappets with followers so if your goin to comment get facts right. Pistons apply a compression or pushing force, the only force on your valves is the springs for closing the valves, so dont give me Bullshit you muppet

• So technically you are all right, all cars have camshafts and all camshafts (via whichever medium) open the valves.

Well, since this thread is a mess already, not all car engines have cams, 2 strokes, some rotary engines and camless engines used on ships and is just starting to be used on cars.

Anyway, to the plot.

Since there is very little good out there in the price range of the OP and what there is will have issues of their own, I might be worth looking to see if she can get a complete used engine! It depends on the make of the van.

• http://www.ukhippy.com/stuff/s…arts?p=1336114&highlight=

Good news, it's a transit so likely to be a DI! I would be surprised if it's bent valves. Even if it has, a new head an gasket won't cost as much as a new van. Who said it would be £800? Sounds like a 'get rid of her' price to me. OP we need to hear from you! Don't let the mechanical opinion bickering put you off! If you need to get the van somewhere join the AA, leave it 24 hpurs and ring them. Make sure you get relay. DO NOT USE THE RAC!

• "Oh my GOD, some of you know nowt bout engines. The camshaft does not move pistons thats the Crankshaft which you seem to be."

Now a mechanic I aint but I was under the impression that the pistons moved the crankshaft not the other way round

• But the crankshaft turns the pistons during starting, Full Timer! :->

The old Transit DI engine can survive a cambelt snapping, only the push rods bend, unusual for valves to bend under these circumstances. Push rods can be straightened by a competent mechanic (and my granny). Yes, engines are so cheap, look on eBay, get one sent on a crate, fitting the engine is half a days work, say £200 max for labour and consumables, engine including delivery £280. Dont forget VAT.

Good luck!

• They are not pistons Uncle Knobhead you either have direct contact shims or tappets with followers so if your goin to comment get facts right. Pistons apply a compression or pushing force, the only force on your valves is the springs for closing the valves, so dont give me Bullshit you muppet

They do have pistons ...Muppet... In the rocker box which is now probably called the cam enclosure or some such, the lobes on the camshaft rest on the pistons which push the valves down, the valve springs are held in place with collets and the valves return due to the springs.
    How do we know it is a transit.
    If the original poster would like to tell us what vehicle it is and what she thinks the problem might be, I ( god like super stuff that I am will see what I can do) feel free to take notes.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/camshaft.htmMuppet.
    Notice the small pistons into which the shims fit.

Some ohc engines have rockers but not push rods.

Muppets, muppets, muppets.

• But the crankshaft turns the pistons during starting, Full Timer! :->

The old Transit DI engine can survive a cambelt snapping, only the push rods bend, unusual for valves to bend under these circumstances. Push rods can be straightened by a competent mechanic (and my granny). Yes, engines are so cheap, look on eBay, get one sent on a crate, fitting the engine is half a days work, say £200 max for labour and consumables, engine including delivery £280. Dont forget VAT.

Good luck!

well yes, you got me there......

• They do have pistons ...Muppet... In the rocker box which is now probably called the cam enclosure or some such, the lobes on the camshaft rest on the pistons which push the valves down, the valve springs are held in place with collets and the valves return due to the springs.

Except they are not actually called pistons, in an IC engine that is something else entirely, they are called tappets as you have already been told.

Muppet.