What would you put into Room 101?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Id put the idiots at youtube into room 101. :wall:

I start to play a video, their shit subtitles come up so i disable them. Play another video, subtitles again..

Is it that fucking difficult to remember my choice? Or how about provide the subtitles and let me choose to turn them on if i want them.

Cunts. :suicide:

That is all.

• You can turn them off on each vid individually but totally agree its annoying the settings are not remembered.I will add i get uber pissed off with google insisting you review privacy settings everytime you land on YT from a 3rd party site or using a different device.

• Hotpoint owned by whirlpool. After months of scrimping going posh :rolleyes:got a new electric cooker.A proper, really new one,sparkling,no one else had ever used.8|Went bang.Grill door hinge had likely been live all the time ,as first time it touched metal there was a very big trip out bang.Hour on phone.They are sending a sparky AFTER xmas.:cursing: All the new cooker- extra special treat- food a dream.Old Bess my reliable cast iron-dragged about for 12 years now, woodburner is smiling,AAARRRGGGHHH.No more fkg posh cookers.

• Grrr Cricket...feel for you!They deffo don't make them like they used to.We brought a new gas cooker 18 mths ago.10 mths later,the oven kept going out on its own accord.£80 later it turned out to be the thermo coupler thingy.Yet the cooker we had before was much cheaper,and lasted years,the only reason we decided to renew it was because the grill handles broke,and it started to look quite tacky.

• Grrr Cricket...feel for you!They deffo don't make them like they used to.

Thanks cobra.Its made me angry, the complacent response when a mains shock was only avoided by sheer luck or my gaurdian angel taking a silent hit.These cookers are sold new,now and a child could easily touch the live part,if its endemic, yet the makers are in no hurry to come see.My mind is very agitated at the very serious risk out there to others that has now been notified,but has not been acted on.if i hear of others who have been hurt by this appliance, i will happily provide notification evidence to help in. sueing the manufacturer.

• back in the 90's i had 3 whirlpool washer driers in 6 months all went bang with electrical faults, they offered a 4th replacement and told them id have my money back or they could send me a Bosch Smeg or Neff but no F'in whirlpool.I got a Smeg sent me which pleased me cause it was treble the price of the one id bought. :D

• told them id have my money back or they could send me a Bosch Smeg or Neff but no F'in whirlpool.I got a Smeg sent me which pleased me cause it was treble the price of the one id bought. :D

Thanks NRT i will bear that in mind should i survive electrical shocks from replacements I do not want.=OAppliances are generally made as cheap as possible abroad nowadays,so if some production person somewhere had a bad day,or lost their specs and couldnt afford to replace them at sweatshop pay rates,god knows what really happens to consumers down the line.

• The white goods market is a total rip off.

One of my friends used to work in a very well known electrical store and they buy in the stock for next to nothing and retail it many times the wholesale price thats why they can offer 60% off deals theyre not losing,theyre still making a big profit.

The stats on electrical appliance fires and dangerous faults is quite alarming.I think last year alone some 10k fires caused by faulty appliances mostly from 3 prominent manufacturers.

• Tail-gaters. Dampish road today and on sticking to the speedlimits I've had several idiots right on my back bumper, mostly middle-aged women, not kids. It seemed that nearly everyone today was driving faster than usual on a route I drive regularly and taking more risks.

• Tail-gaters. Dampish road today and on sticking to the speedlimits I've had several idiots right on my back bumper, mostly middle-aged women, not kids. It seemed that nearly everyone today was driving faster than usual on a route I drive regularly and taking more risks.

I just slow right down and make like a tractor driver when that happens.They have a choice then to crawl along behind me or fuck off past me.

• Usually wave them by as I like to bimble along but today I was on the limits as I had things to do.

When I was a lot younger and motors had rear drumbrakes I used to tug the handbrake sharply but I'm past that now. The look on their faces used to be magic.

• I had a particularly annoying artic driver tailgating me through the yorks dales 10ft off my backend.I got him back in the end knowing a long steep hill was coming up I slowed right down right at a narrow point be couldnt pass me....and once slowed up watched him disappear in my mirror as he began the long slow crawl up the hill :evil:

• Good approach :)

TBH , I think if people make you angry on a regular basis , when you are behind the wheel , maybe you should not be there . I did a job for 25 years where I had constant harrasment from other drivers (i was driving along at 3 mph ringing a bell calling for scrap ). OK I was driving a bit slow , but if I had speeded up , half my load would have fallen of on them .

I have always said ,as a road user . 'it is better to cause stress , than get stressed . ' . I think its in the highway code in the sub section about stabbing people that stop suddenly in front of you, get out of there car and start knocking on your window .

• I cannot make my mind up over people that add mint to their favorite smoking brand ( ok , only one so far ) , stick it in a bong and tell you 'it tastes so much nicer and is healthier too ' Or people that say 'I am mad me' and clearly are not ' , or how about people that voted leave , whoops !

As my old mum always said .' Up the bum , no harm done '

• Drivers,who are in front of you,who turn into a side street at absolute crawling speed!Why??

People at Atm's who take a long time doing their banking.How many cards do people usually have?I have one.I insert my card,check the balance and withdraw.Other people seem to have loads,insert a card,press a few numbers,extract card........insert another card,press numbers,extract......insert.....!And on it goes!Sometimes I feel like tapping their shoulder and saying "Actually?You don't have any money,so don't bother trying anymore ok"?^^

• Stupid women who wear bobble hats with fur bobbles, those who wear fur bobbles on their shoes, fur bobble earrings and fur trim on coats. I'm seeing more and more of them lately and it's hard to bite my tongue especially when a lot of them are 'dog walkers' where I usually walk. I did let fly at a well to do tart in Ludlow a while back as she was wearing a fox hat complete with head and tail. Twunt.

The Asian fur trade relies on their ignorance and inaction by our government to be able to keep shipping into the UK. I just wish they'd think about what they wear and why.

• More ...

Drivers - those who; tailgate, undertake and lane change repeatedly, turn without signalling (or make misleading signals), stupidly noisey exhausts / in-car entertainment, towing without care for others also farmers / hgv who collect a long queue and ignore opportunities to pull in, chuck rubbish out (especially plastic), deliberately hit wildlife (or cats / dogs), get too close to horses / cyclists, don't attempt to maintain so drive vehicles permanently emitting clouds of black smoke / oil, park in dangerous places, use mobile phones, drive drunk.

no doubt there are others ...

• further potential candidates ...

people who are : cruel to animals (farming, hunting, dog-fighting, bull-fighting), pollute the environment (plastic litter), don't pick up dog 5h1t, waste resources, destroy historical artefacts / buildings to make a quick buck.

people who are cruel to other people ... eg child abuse, violence to others for religion or race

• finally, a personal one.

People, supposedly friends, who slag you off and complain about what you do, even imagined slights from years ago; when you have spent thousands of hours and pounds sorting out their foul-ups and inability to manage their lives for themselves over more than two decades. (ie after getting made redundant suddenly can't manage their money so get made homeless, can't drive anywhere without getting lost, can't remember appointments, but expect help with anything mechanical / electrical / plumbing or on a computer.)

I could go on ...

• Modern product packaging would go in room 101. Vacuumed packed food that needs scissors or a sharp knife to open. Heat sealed packets (with tear here mark) that won’t tear even with a full set of front teeth. Plastic trays with film lids and a sanitary towel offcut in the bottom.

Every other manufactured item (from amazon) that comes seated in a moulded polystyrene cast, wrapped in bubblewrap inside the product box. Then surrounded by ten yards of brown paper inside a larger box.

It all started to go wrong when milk appeared in cartons.

Who designs this product packaging? Young teenagers with good eyesight, good teeth, no sign of vibration white finger and little understanding of where paper and cardboard comes from?

I’m dreading getting old if Im struggling with food packaging already. ;(

My little girl came back from the shops with a plastic suprize egg. It contained a dozen everlasting jelly beans inside in a clear plastic bag.. I say everlasting jelly beans, they did have a best before date on them, but the industrial plastic sweet bag had been sealed with the exhaust heat of a Eurofighter Typhoon jet engine. I was embarrassingly defeated trying to open it for her. I had to get the scissors to open the jelly bean bag. Not the sort of sweets our kids could take to the park, unless we want them to ask a local thug if they have a flick knife handy.