What would you put into Room 101?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I read 1984 for the first time this year and it is a frightening book. I could possibly be more frightening now than when it was first published because we seem to be getting closer and closer to that dystopia every day

Paul

- - - Updated - - -

I like crowing cockerels. We have a couple not too far from our van and I find it comforting

Paul

• Twatting litterbugs, and what gives smokers the right to chuck their fag end all over the place! Special place goes to the kid on the school bus that chucked an empty drink can at our horse:wall:

I get this one. I live in fairly rural area and often walk the dog along a single track lane that leads to a few farms and nothing much more, but you wouldn't believe the amount of energy drinks cans and even Mcdonalds drinks cups that litter certain parts.
    The ironic thing is that the nearest Mcdonalds is the best part of 30 miles away.

• Overpriced restaurants that charge loads of money for rubbish food. If I wanted to eat crap I would make it. I try to bring my own anyway. Even worse are those children's softay areas that don't allow you to bring your own food then serve expensive crap. I can't eat wheat so they've got nothing I can eat . So I'll pay them to starve me?? I think not. I bring my own and put it on one of their trays. Sod em.

• Pubs and restaurants that do "home cooked food", when most of them just reheat the stuff they get delivered already-prepared for them. I suppose you expect that behaviour in chain-pubs and restaurants, but every bugger is at it nowadays. Can't remember the last time i ate out, apart from the beans on toast we had in a cafe recently, but I wouldn't go to eat out now unless I knew it was done properly on the premises by someone. One of the girls at Dovedale, Lyndsey or Bev, told me how Wetherspoons even have their eggs come in ready cooked in a wee bag to heat them up. Even the Chinese and Indians are at this pre-prepared stuff now.

• I really Mmmmm......(OK, this is where I get ostracised, and made to feel like a hater, a ....phobe, an aoutsider.....but wait!...listen!...) i REALLY HATE well hate may be too strong a word.......BUT, I am not a "Fan of" ...okay, so it's better I stop now. :reddevil:

I can hear Roamer scream from here!...

:rofl:

• I really understood that :D

• Ferrero Rocher and the impressionable morons who buy them. no, serving overpriced pretentious chocolaty nuts will not make you the life and soul of the party.

All pretentious over priced choccies gratefully received...happy to safely dispose of any unwanted choccies nom nom .....(who gives a toss about parties when theres chocs to be eaten ) :)
    Ferrero Rocher boxes make useful storage boxes too..

• In the sense that Room 101 is a virtual dustbin I would like to consign religious extremism to it. I nearly wrote "religion", but many people get some comfort from it, so it can stay.

In the sense that Room 101 contains my own personal torture, the original meaning, my Room 101 would be having Maddy's 72 piece internal orchestra playing constantly in my head. That would be my hell, I'm not strong enough to survive that.

• In the sense that Room 101 is a virtual dustbin I would like to consign religious extremism to it. I nearly wrote "religion", but many people get some comfort from it, so it can stay.

Nah,religion can go straight in there. If it did not exist people would be able to have comfort from other people and accept that we are a part of a beautiful world, rather than have a mythical, authoritarian figure telling us we can trash the joint as there is another place waiting for us in the afterlife.

Perhaps it's only when this happens that the human race will grow up, and take responsibility for our own actions.

• Nah,religion can go straight in there. If it did not exist people would be able to have comfort from other people and accept that we are a part of a beautiful world, rather than have a mythical, authoritarian figure telling us we can trash the joint as there is another place waiting for us in the afterlife.

Perhaps it's only when this happens that the human race will grow up, and take responsibility for our own actions.

Well said, most people just live for today.
    Bury it in the ground
    Dump it in the sea
    cover it with concrete and hope the problem goes away.
    It will for our generation, but what about the ones who have to deal with the consequences? Our children, their children.

Based on that I would have to put waste in room 101. What we can't re-cycle, we shouldn't be using.

• Nah,religion can go straight in there. If it did not exist people would be able to have comfort from other people and accept that we are a part of a beautiful world, rather than have a mythical, authoritarian figure telling us we can trash the joint as there is another place waiting for us in the afterlife.

Religion comes in many forms, most are benign, and most teach that we should love and help our neighbours. I'm not religious, I don't believe in fairies, auras, mediums etc., etc. However, many people have their lives improved by believing, so for their sake I'm leaving religion / faith out of my Room 101.

I accept that if there was no religion many people would be more inclined to address their problems on Earth, but many of these people would address their needs at cost to someone else - a fear of divine justice is all that keeps some people from horrible acts.

• Parents that cannot control their screaming little twat offspring, you know the ones, they use shops as a place to play hide n seek, push trolleys into your heels, damn, they should have little cages near store entrances for them to lock the obnoxious little brats in!

I so agree with this! I have even seen the brats playing football in asda!

• Also, when did it become OK to bring your household rubbish to a supermarket and leave it by the recycling bins?
    A fan of wombling might get all excited to see a bin bag, then dismayed on finding it's full of old tins and wrappers....