I love photography, but... help..

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Having memory problems I am finding it rather difficult and confusing to try to use my camera to get good shots other than using macro or auto..

I havent picked my big camera up for long periods because before when out and about with my old dog, she would happily just mooch around with me, but Nellie being young needs an eye kept on her but happily thats getting better now.

What am wondering is there an easy way for me to remember say for instance, ISO for dark is this way and ISO for light is that way .. I can read all the books etc but the information to take in is too confusing/complex and long winded.

I have an Nikon D3000 and although new pics show on screen, the image is better seen on computer so even judging that on the camera itself is not true..

Any help would be appreciated.. hope I have made myself clear on what I mean

• The way to remember is to note down that if you:

Increase shutter speed (go longer, ie 1/30th s to 1/10th s)
    Increase f s top (so lower number, ie f/8 to f/2.8)
    Increase ISO (going up, ie 200 to 800)

Any of the above (or combos of) increase the exposure, and is what you'd do to balance against fading light.

Honestly, I'd stick it on auto ISO and leave it 100-800 range, and then leave the camera on Aperture priority or Shutter priority depending on what you're doing and that means you only have to worry about one thing.

Almost all the time I'm shooting I just leave it on Aperture priority :)

just leave it on Aperture priority

and that means you only have to worry about one thing

yup...pretty much!

or shutter priority (tv on canon), camera chooses aparture, u think about 2 things! kind of...

just check the shape of the histogram is the way i roll :)

*just got a new (pre - owned) canon 55-250 delivered today so oot for some zoom-tastic stuff up the woods / hills at the weekend.... woot :pp

• I use old manual lenses on my canon, so run everything on manual settings, a high iso lets more light in, as does opening the aperture.
    I also run the camera with RAW mode and jpg, so that I have the original image data to play with on the computer. the only drawback is the RAW filees take up a lot of space

• This is a bit of a generalisation, but in simple terms,

ISO.
    Smaller numbers for shooting in brighter light, bigger numbers for shooting in less light

In full manual mode you have control over two more settings,
    Shutter speed and aperture size.

Shutter speed.
    Basically how fast the shutter opens and how quickly you let light into the camera.
    A faster shutter speed can 'freeze' motion. You might want this to capture a person playing sport or a bird in flight. A slower shutter speed can give a blurry effect, for example, those funky blurry waterfall shots that you see.

Aperture size.
    This sets how big the hole is that lets light into the camera. Bigger hole means more light, but at the expense of sharpness. Useful in lower light scenarios, to a point, but in modern cameras the higher ISO settings take care of this better. So...

three things to get right or wrong. This is why most people leave there camera in either Aperture priority or Shutter priority modes. One less setting to worry about.

To make life even simpler you should also have an auto ISO mode. Turn this on and you only have one thing to worry about. Shutter speed or aperture size.

My Canon 40D has three programmable modes. I have one set up for aperture priority with auto ISO on. One for aperture priority auto ISO on but in B&W mode. And the third just left full manual with auto ISO for if I want to mess about.
    This way it's pretty easy for me to get the right settings and hopefully not miss the shot.

In the real world full manual mode, you'll find that tweaking any of the three basic settings has an impact on the others. That's the bit that confuses people.
    But the digital world is great, as you can take as many pics as your storage will allow, for free.
    Experiment and have fun.
    Try photographing a dripping tap. That will show you what the settings do pretty quickly.

It's no use shouting about who's to blame, when all that counts is how to change...

• Thank you Lonesum.. that made a little more sense..

I want to laminate a small card with this kind of reminder info on it to hang from my camera as a reminder.. my memory problems become complex the more I have to take in, so photography is quite complex in itself.. add me to the mix and BOOOM!

Thats the sort of explanation I need, that to me is very basic knowledge that I can perhaps work on from there.. so thanks again :)

:)