Red Oxide? Zinc phospate primer?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• There are so many opinions out there about how to protect your vehicle from rust, i dont know what to think!
    What i do know is that i have a can of red oxide, and i also have a can of zinc phosphate primer.
    Wondering which one to use...
    Also, i was going to spend a day (or more) under there with a wire brush, but somebody has said they can blast the surface rust off with some sort of high pressure gun for me.
    Its a Daf horsebox. No particular issues with rust on the chassis, though the cab has a few spots that need seeing to.
    Thoughts anyone?

• There are so many opinions out there about how to protect your vehicle from rust, i dont know what to think!
    What i do know is that i have a can of red oxide, and i also have a can of zinc phosphate primer.
    Wondering which one to use...
    Also, i was going to spend a day (or more) under there with a wire brush, but somebody has said they can blast the surface rust off with some sort of high pressure gun for me.
    Its a Daf horsebox. No particular issues with rust on the chassis, though the cab has a few spots that need seeing to.
    Thoughts anyone?

Hi rub down with a wire brush 2 coats of red oxide coat of paint rust aint coming through , have a look at my thread horsebox to housebox in this section good luck

• Just remember, primer is porous ie. It will absorb moisture, so you need to cover it with paint asap. Same goes with body filler, don't just slap it on then leave it, it needs priming then a top coat to be durable to the elements.

• Yes, by all means prime it, but if you want it to last, put something else over the top. I used underseal as the chassis isn't visible anywhere so a bit of stickiness isn't a major issue. Primer on its own will let moisture through.

• Still havent got around to this....
    Im a bit mystified though. A neighbour has offered use of this boiler thing which takes rust off with a jet of hot water. I cant find any descriptions of anything similar online, and im a bit worried about what damage it might do to softer things like the curtain sides, electic cables, water pipes etc that are on the chassis....
    Anybody else have experience of this method?