Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Anyone growing or tried growing them? Reason I ask is I got a newsletter from a seed company with a mushroom offer, £12.95 for a kit. For it to be worth it I'd have to get at least 14 lots of mushrooms from it.

• Tried the 'kits' from garden centres years back, before we realised they were a bit of a scam. Never had good results, at best a lb or two, usually crap results, lucky if half-a-dozen came up! Cheaper to buy off the markets!

• Kind of what I was thinking, I mean £13 worth of mushrooms from a shop is a fair size bag full. Plus I'm betting there's £3 slapped on for postage.

• i used to have a very well written recepe for growing your own mushrooms, sadly I have no idea what happened to it., writen by a family member with 40 years experience as a large scale commercial grower. basically it is nearly impossible to reliably get the ingedients, humidity and temerature ideal at home to get the soil suitable, add the correct air temp and humidity growing mushrooms then is piss easy, getting the soil perfect is a right royal PITA. oh, and the process stinks, and I don't mean a bit, it seriously reeks of ammonia, lots of childhood holidays to their mushroom farms attests to that. once conditions and soil is perfect, they just keep growing and growing at an incredible rate, I would go into a picking shed one day and strip a tray almost bare, come back the next day and get a couple of kilos more.

oh, the mushroom kits are complete shit for the simple reason the enviromental conditions you grow them under are hard to achieve and out of the suppliers control.

best do what Ma Bungo suggests, learn to identify wild mushrooms.

• Better off learning to identify wild ones , they are free, fresh and tasty :)

I totally agree. I would use the seed money to buy a decent book on wild mushrooms. I would recommend that you start by studying the boletus family which offer about forty different varieties that are comestible and those that are not are easy to recognize. Never risk eating one that you are not 100 percent sure of. Worthwhile finding a good site to back up what your book will say and one that shows what you can confuse your findings with.

Bonne appetit

Fly xx

• Indeed you can. When I was learning about mycology that service was a very welcome thing. All french pharmacists study mycology in their training and can normally identify the majority of what is edible and what is toxic that grows in france.
    I know a bit more than the average pharmacist now and every now and then when I am in a cheeky mood,I go and test their levels of know how :whistle:
    But in all honesty,I am happy to share any newly learned info with them so that they can progress too. I always recommend that they study up on what I say as I may just be someone that has eaten too many mushrooms :insane:

Has anyone ever asked a chemist in the uk if this service is available ?

• I'd have to really trust myself on picking my own mushrooms, always bit suspect on wild mushrooms as years back when still at school picked some thinking they were the magic ones but only my cousin stopped me eating them, I know your knowledge grows but I'd have to be really sure. Just wanted to know what kind of yield you got from a kit. I'm in the chemist for a prescription in the next few days so may ask. Anyway thanks for everyones advice, much appreciated. For those in the know what book/books, sites would you point to.

• Can you still take mushrooms to a pharmacy for identification in France IC ?

Sadly, despite the press this gets, not many will actually do it nowadays, while they are supposedly trained, there seems no legal obligation to do it and there is no money in it.

Generally the French will pick just a couple of types they know and nothing else, so I assume demand is low.

I have had better luck asking farmer type neighbours.