Stop Hinkley

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Well I am going to argue in favour of nuclear power.
    Nuclear power is carbon free reliable energy and those arguing against it are doing harm to the planet.
    If we don't have nuclear we need gas or coal, gas and coal emit carbon and should be phased out.
    The main cost of nuclear power is the legal costs imposed on the industry due to the actions of anti nuclear protesters.
    I am an anti,anti nuclear protester,protestor... Build hinkly now...

• Well I am going to argue in favour of nuclear power.
    Nuclear power is carbon free reliable energy and those arguing against it are doing harm to the planet.
    If we don't have nuclear we need gas or coal, gas and coal emit carbon and should be phased out.
    The main cost of nuclear power is the legal costs imposed on the industry due to the actions of anti nuclear protesters.
    I am an anti,anti nuclear protester,protestor... Build hinkly now...

Dude. Read what it says at the top!

This forum is for making arrangements to attend protests, take part in ORGANISED campaigns or sign petitions. It is not a discussion or news forum. People should be able to post information here without being forced into a debate.

Rather than risk an infraction, please start discussions about these campaigns elsewhere.

• said this morning on the news that the British Government is about to announce approval for Hinckley C.

• Yeah I saw that, arse. One of the news outlets had an article comparing the price of Hinkley with various other projects, it seems way over the top & it's all going abroad, don't we have the skills in the UK?

• Yeah I saw that, arse. don't we have the skills in the UK?

What,for running the country? it would appear not :(
    The Chinese bought Cameron a few months ago with a £6Bn bribe/payout,he was never going to pay that back after he had shared it out amongst his tribe of arses.

The only hope this country has left is to get the Greens into power somehow and reverse this decision,giving the Chinese their money back or threaten to get everyone to stop buying all that cheap crap from them or something.

• Post by nomis ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • the price EDF will be paid is nearly twice the wholesale price currently paid, and the life of this carbunckle is 45-50 years.

• I think you'll find the lights go off by themselves, Hinckley Point C wont be up and running for the best part of a decade and we aren't replacing the old out of date power stations fast enough. for the last several years winter power demands have very nearly exceeded supply, its only by a whisker that the lights didn't go out then.
    if you put the power production in the hands of foreign countries( in this case France and China) how the hell do you have control over the country's power supply?

• What always gets me is when electric cars are promoted, nobody mentions they need charging. If we are always days away from the lights going every winter, why would electric cars be a good idea? Never mind where the electricity is coming from.

• Electric cars would be a good incentive to have more reliable energy generation. However the biggest selling point for the suits is that they make convenient places to store large amounts of electricity that can be withdrawn when needed; if you leave it plugged in as most people will it will be a battery for them to use at will.

• What always gets me is when electric cars are promoted, nobody mentions they need charging. If we are always days away from the lights going every winter, why would electric cars be a good idea? Never mind where the electricity is coming from.

Electric cars ,vans and trucks are the future of transport,many owners already buy their electricity from good /sound providers such as Ecotricity,who only provide electric from re newables,they also only sell non fracked gas.

EV`s will provide grid storage from solar and wind etc,so when it`s night time or the wind isn`t blowing,we will still have electric.

• maybe in the future you may see something like that, but I wouldn't bank on it not with the oil companies still around.

• Great. Show me the HGV electric vehicles that have a range of over 200 miles and charge in 15 mins.

They will be made eventually,as diesel runs out it will happen,but at the moment,large corperate companys are still making too much money from burning fossil fuels.
    From small acorns and all that :)

Peace.

• You missed the point. Totally electric means batteries. Batteries weigh loads and that means a lower payload. For that reason, it's unlikely to happen.
    Going back to Hinkley, it's not going to happen for a decade, so won't the technology be out of date by then, if it's not already?

• You missed the point. Totally electric means batteries. Batteries weigh loads and that means a lower payload. For that reason, it's unlikely to happen.
    Going back to Hinkley, it's not going to happen for a decade, so won't the technology be out of date by then, if it's not already?

No,i didn`t miss the point at all and i certainly didn`t come here for an argument about anything.
    Trucks weigh loads,batterys weigh loads,that`s how they can haul loads.
    Tesla make cars that will do 200+ miles already,they cost as much as a truck,big EV or at least hybrid trucks are not that far away,i have and continue to study and encourage progress even though i ride a pushbike and choose to walk as much as i can.
    A decade is nothing to your kids if you have any,i don`t and don`t intend to have any,as there are enough people on the planet as it is.

And Hinkley C,like all other nuclear production,is a total cash driven get rich quick folly,it makes cheap profits for a few at the cost of many future generations of innocent creatures,including humans,it`s a disgrace and should be halted ASAP.

• I don`t like being baited thanks.

Goodbye.

You missed out the last bit about payload. A truck has a gross weight. The more the truck weighs, the less it can carry.
    And no, I don't have kids either.

[*=left]PLEASE READ THIS CAREFULLY

This forum is for making arrangements to attend protests, take part in ORGANISED campaigns or sign petitions. It is not a discussion or news forum. People should be able to post information here without being forced into a debate.

Rather than risk an infraction, please start discussions about these campaigns elsewhere.

Guess we will have to wait and see.