Help with acne prone skin?

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So, throughout my teens and early twenties I managed to completely evade the dreaded outbreaks that accompanies youth and I thought id dodged the bullet.

Little did I know that nature was storing it all up to bite me in the ass at 28, and so began my struggle with teenage skin in the worst way!

I have literally tried every shop bought product, and have been left in the even worse position of having completely stripped my skin of any moisture, so now its as dry as a desert as well as spotty.

I'm trying more natural products such as honey and turmeric face masks, apple cider vinegar, coconut oil as a moisturiser etc. But nothing is working, and I'm starting to think its a lost cause.

I wear very little makeup, and then only if I'm going out, which isn't often. I eat healthier than most people I know, lots and lots of veg with my meals. I avoid chocolate and crisps, don't drink fizzy drinks. I'm really at a loss as to what else I can try.

Does anybody else suffer with this? What do you use to combat it? Or should I just consign myself to rocking a sack mask like John Merrick because its a dead end?

Hippies of the internet, help me out! How do you get that hippy glow? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, because I'm at a proper bloody loss with it all 😢

• Oxytetracycline an antibiotic which can be used for acne and bacterial skin infections.

I was getting folicilitis after each Chemo and still do this time but I won't take medicines if I can avoid them. I prefer diet, exercise and yoga etc.

Good luck

• oatmeal facial scrub.....just porridge really....scrub then rinse, and vitamin e oil applied before bed

Porridge? Really? So I just make some porridge and put it on my face? I used some turmeric today, but got the measurements a tad wrong, so I look slightly jaundiced, so oatmeal is probably safer lol. X

• Oxytetracycline an antibiotic which can be used for acne and bacterial skin infections.

Do I need a prescription for this, or is it something you can just buy? Id prefer to steer away from medications because I don't trust them as far as I can spit, but I may have to go down this route if it doesn't clear up. My friend has a wedding in 5 months, and I really don't want to be the pimply faced bridesmaid 😢

Thanks for the advice though xx

• Porridge? Really? So I just make some porridge and put it on my face? I used some turmeric today, but got the measurements a tad wrong, so I look slightly jaundiced, so oatmeal is probably safer lol. X

Just put a spoonful of oats in a bowl with a few spoons of hot water to make a little paste, let it soften......then use as a facial or body scrub.....

Vitamin E oil from holland n barret or similar cured my cousins eczema she had for 20 years in two weeks! apply and let soak in, you dont need lots

• Just put a spoonful of oats in a bowl with a few spoons of hot water to make a little paste, let it soften......then use as a facial or body scrub.....

Vitamin E oil from holland n barret or similar cured my cousins eczema she had for 20 years in two weeks! apply and let soak in, you dont need lots

Oooh, thankyou. I shall try this out. If it clears up my skin, you will have my undying gratitude :)

• Are you sure it's definitely acne?

You're treating the symptoms, what's causing it? When did it occur, did you change a medication, detergent, routine, did something happen to stress you? Are you shopping at a different place, it could be a food additive or something. Also don't rule out something your partner has changed that could cause it, a new beard care or aftershave for instance.

Moisturiser seems to help most skin issues, which one works is down to the individual.

• I'm not sure Fried Onion, its been about three years of constant breakouts. It started when I split up with my ex, it was quite a stressful time as he was cheating with the lodger, I had to move out because I couldn't afford the rent on my own, had to rehome my dogs etc. And it snowballed from there, and got worse.

I think I may be in a vicious cycle of spots, by products, products cause more spots, buy more products etc.

My diets got better if anything, I used to live off chips and frozen beige crap, but now its vegetables and home cooked everything, so I don't think its that. I even drink less, as I now only drink on a Saturday. So really, I should be healthier?

I'm starting to think I could be sensitive to stubble, because my partner has a beard. That's the only thing I can think that's changed.

• Oatmeal is great ....but for quickness i use
    AVEENO ....which is Oatmeal And No Chemicals And Nasty Stuff In It .:))
    It Soothes And Heals The Skin And Feeds It Too...
    You Can Get It In Bath Wash Too xx
    Hope you feel better soon xx Hugggs xx Ooops Forgot to say
    You can get it on Prescriotion too and they sell it in Chemists and Supermarkets Too Now :)) ..and you can use it all over your body as often as you like xxx
    Its really truly great and keeps your skin all winter and summer healthy and smoothe and soft xx hope this helps you xx

• Thank you Danann, I'll see if I can pick some up when I go shopping. Its annoying having bad skin, people assume its because i don't wash, when in reality, I probably wash too much with the wrong thing. Its got to the point of not really wanting to go out, I don't want people taking photos of me, so its making me really self conscious and antisocial. Especially as most of my female friends are really pretty looking effortlessly, and then there's me being a pimply mess in the shadows lol. X

• My skin turned crappy in later life aswell and the two things that definitely helped me were drinking loads of water and taking the pill. Controversial i know but when weighed up against all the ibuprofen i was having to take to get through a period, aswell as the low self esteem from acne, i feel it`s worth it..

• Do I need a prescription for this, or is it something you can just buy? Id prefer to steer away from medications because I don't trust them as far as I can spit, but I may have to go down this route if it doesn't clear up. My friend has a wedding in 5 months, and I really don't want to be the pimply faced bridesmaid 

Thanks for the advice though xx

I agree with avoiding medicines - especially antibiotics - the world needs them more than I.

BUT it worked on my breakouts caused by the stress and damage of Chemotherapy and in quick time. They are prescription only (for folicilitis and acne) and a short three day/five day course is usually more than sufficient for me.

When I have taken them - I have stabilised afterward and not needed them again until the next stress/chemo.

• I'm generally stubbly & while it can give a rash where you've been nuzzled it doesn't usually turn to acne, though I suppose it could if you're sensitive.

Are you using a harsh soap? Perhaps not washing would be the answer. ;) It did wonders for my hair.

After reading some of the above comments I wonder if a quick trip to the doc is in order? They could probably test for a hormonal imbalance as well.

• I'm generally stubbly & while it can give a rash where you've been nuzzled it doesn't usually turn to acne, though I suppose it could if you're sensitive.

Are you using a harsh soap? Perhaps not washing would be the answer. ;) It did wonders for my hair.

After reading some of the above comments I wonder if a quick trip to the doc is in order? They could probably test for a hormonal imbalance as well.

I avoid soap because my skin gets super dry and tight feeling when I use it, so I bought actual sensitive skin face wash, but then i get the same problem with that too.

My boyfriend doesn't have much stubble, its more a full on beard, but he works in a really dusty warehouse, so I wondered if its a case of his beard is really grotty when he gets home and he gives me a kiss. Its generally in places he kisses, so around my chin, jaw and my forehead. But he's really attached to his beard, so I cant get him to shave it off to test my theory :(

Will maybe try the doctors once I've exhausted every other avenue lol. X

• Whitepoppy, you could try an experiment, if you suspect it's your guy's beard: Get him to brush his beard along your underarm, say wrist to elbow, to see if this causes a rash. The skin is quite sensitive in this area, so if anything on his beard does raise a rash, it should certainly do so here.

• Whitepoppy, you could try an experiment, if you suspect it's your guy's beard: Get him to brush his beard along your underarm, say wrist to elbow, to see if this causes a rash. The skin is quite sensitive in this area, so if anything on his beard does raise a rash, it should certainly do so here.

That's a brill idea. I'm gonna get him to do it now :)

• It could even be the warehouse crud in the beard.

Yeah, I think it may be. The place he works is beyond filthy, so it wouldn't surprise me if that's the cause. If I end up with a rashy arm, I may have to beg him to lose the beard, even though I love his beard, it makes him look all rugged :) I dunno if he'd want to shave it though, as he doesn't like his chin ... :(

• Thank you Danann, I'll see if I can pick some up when I go shopping. Its annoying having bad skin, people assume its because i don't wash, when in reality, I probably wash too much with the wrong thing. Its got to the point of not really wanting to go out, I don't want people taking photos of me, so its making me really self conscious and antisocial. Especially as most of my female friends are really pretty looking effortlessly, and then there's me being a pimply mess in the shadows lol. X

Awwwww big huggggs of love for you whitepoppy xxx ...
    And i am sure you are always really beautiful outside and inside too bless ya xxx
    I know its horrible to feel this way ...but it will get better truly it will and i be knowing that no matter how many kind words people say you are still feeling like this even though your heart is lighter with peoples love ...as it is just the way you feel right now and as said it will get better truly xxx Just take a few deep breathes and calm your racing hurting thoughts ...as stress can make you more feeling this way as it has a snowball effects ...
    And just focus and think to yourself it will be all better soon as your skin settles you will settle too xx ....So just be positive ..and stay positive even though its hard i know esp when you feel this way..and feel the love sent out to you....and let it help lift and heal you heart and mind . .
    My love and Big Mahoosive Hugggs And Healing Thoughts I Be Bouncing Your Way xxx

• Awww, thankyou Danann :) big hugs to you too. I just tried some oatmeal, looked crazy for half an hour. It seems to have gotten rid of some of the red blotchiness and the dreaded itching, so will have to wait until tomorrow to see if its had any real positive effect on how my face looks.

Hopefully it will work, and I can try get back to being more sociable, because its quite lonely staying in every weekend because my face has looked a mess. Its been that bad that even makeup wont cover it, just seems to highlight it like a neon sign. So fingers crossed xx

(and then maybe my man will get to keep his lovely beard after all).

• Just thinking about the beard (Got one myself, and wouldn't want to lose it.:beard: Might get banned from the house!:hippy:), I wondered that if it is the warehouse crud that's causing it, could you maybe get your guy to wash it when he gets home? I wash mine every morning, no problem, and also sometimes after working in dusty places or jobs. It's no big deal, washing your beard. If you find that it is the cause, maybe he could give it a try?

• I asked him today to start washing his face when he gets in from work, just as an experiment. And he took it fairly well after I explained that I thought it could be the cause of my spotty mush, because of all the dust and grot where he works.

If it is that, then hopefully after next week it shouldn't be a problem, because he's going for an interview for a new job 😊

(my arm didn't come up rashy, but he'd had a bath by then, so had already washed his beard) x

• Facial zits !
    A sign of poisons ! Usually in the bloodstream.
    Make up has dodgy shit in it. I recently read that 100% of lipsticks tested contained lead. LEAD FFS!
    Poor digestion, especially constipation is sure to create toxins that end up circulating in the bloodstream, when these toxins come into contact with weak or damaged tissue, then a battle ensues between your anti-bodies and the toxins, puss is the result, some you can see (eg on yer boat-race) and some you can't eg in your ears.

Search on http://naturalnews.com/ for blood cleansing techniques.

I use either colloidal silver or very very dilute hydrogen peroxide as a systemic anti-vial and general cleanser.
    I do try to eat a healthy diet, but I'm a bloke.

James

• Hiya! Have you been tested for ovarian cysts or insulin resistance? These can cause awful skin problems. Another thing may be a bacteria imbalance in your gut. The home cooked food you're doing now sounds great but it might be worth topping up your gut bacteria every now and again with probiotic yoghurt. The skin is an organ of excretion as well as a covering and if your body is trying to get rid of anything skin problems often appear. The porridge is a really good idea both to eat and on your face. Plenty of water and avoid sugar and yeast for a while. Definitely go to the doc and get your guts and hormones checked out. Stress can do awful things to you. Keep going with the clean beard thing - I caught impetigo on my cheek from my husband's stubble years ago. Soon sorted HIM out.

• Its certainly worth considering getting to the cause of the outbreaks not just treating the symptons(your skin problems).Its quite possible youve developed dysbiosis an imbalance of the bacterisl gut flora.An over growth of yeast forming bacteria can cause candidiasis for instsnce but most overgrowths of various bacteria can have a wider effect on the body...its easily treatable with probiotics changes to diet and in some cases even with selective antibiotics.Youve made some if the best moves avoiding modern soap products that are full of irritants.Its best not to overwash anyway and find an organic soap like that made by litte soap company (there are others) that make soap and hair cleanser from 100% natural ingredients not chemical concoctions.Its worth talking with your gp and also finding a local natural nutritionist or homeopath.

• If the home remedies don't quite do the job, then talk to your GP and they will probably give you something like Lymecycline.

On problem I how found with Lymecycline us that is bursts quite quickly in your stomach and gives you a weird unpleasant taste in your mouth. Sometimes it creates a mild burning feeling in your stomach. :S

http://www.livestrong.com/arti…-is-lymecycline-for-acne/

http://www.netmums.com/coffeeh…ine-side-affects-all.html

• If the home remedies don't quite do the job, then talk to your GP and they will probably give you something like Lymecycline.

On problem I how found with Lymecycline us that is bursts quite quickly in your stomach and gives you a weird unpleasant taste in your mouth. Sometimes it creates a mild burning feeling in your stomach. :S

Should you not take it with food ?