Welcome to the Machine: AKA big brother is always watching

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• LET ME SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT..
    If you have GPS on your phone and it even if the phone is switched off, they can STILL track you, especially if you have MAPS on your phone.....just take at look at your history...it tracks every movement.
    Most new phones, you CANNOT take the battery out! iPhone, Motorola Moto E etc so switching OFF is FUTILE!

I have stopped being paranoid.....Big Bruvver has more important fish to fry than a few hippiesw or the odd talk of revolution or anarchy or weed.......they are monitoring mainly for Daesh/ISIS /trrror threats these days and HUGE drug operations and people smuggling. if you aint doing anything major wrong, then you aint got jack to worry about...if on the other hab, you DO have something to worry about, do NOT have phone/internet simples

you're welcome

• So just who sits around listening and / or watching all this info?
    I'm not suggesting that the technology doesn't exist , I'm sure it does, and some, I just can't comprehend the amount of manpower needed in order to sift through this stuff. I mean say there's 10 million i phone users in this country (I'm sure there are more) and say just 10 percent of them are being 'listened' to then that would still be 100 000 conversations being eavesdropped but where are all the people who listen in ? Even if it's all stored for later use, surely it would still have to be listened to by human ears at some point. maybe it's all based on keywords, who knows?

The thing is that just 3 days ago I bought my first, iphone (second hand ,needed a cheap phone) should I be worried? Should I cover the camera over with black tape? should I start learning klingon?

• Usually only broad 'suspects' are machine-checked for keywords; enough hits there and you get promoted to a higher line of m/c examination, and eventually come to the notice of human agents.
    Nowhere near 10% likely to be targeted, more like 1% or less.
    Of course the 'broad suspects' area is a movable feast, varying from day to day, week to week, etc. Depending on what you may have done or said that has been noticed or reported, and by whom.

You should be fine when using your iphone normally, just don't use it to order any kal....kalash.... You know, those originally Russian things:whistle:

• I think not having the ability to remove the battery is just so they sell more phones. I agree that big brother has better things to do, however I disagree on not having anything to hide, it's called privacy. It may be trivial to someone in power but there are always things that matter to us, it's the reason we have curtains, lock doors, seal envelopes & sometimes why we wear clothes.

The technology definitely exists to listen to all our internet & phone conversations, I might question how much they could keep though, certainly not a year's worth, probably not even a month's worth unless you're of special interest.

We've said this before, but who do you trust? Do you trust Tesco, google, our government, our spooks, the EU, the US government, an unnamed foreign government? They all want the data for different reasons, the problem probably comes when they start swapping it around.

If you need one of those wooden handled thingies Paul knows a bloke called Ivan Tyormunney down the pub. ;)

• Well, I think if Edward Snowden's leaks are anything to go by, they do have the technology to tap into any smart technology, and if the tech exists, they will use it, and not for our security, but theirs. I think that's why most new phones are being made with irremovable batteries, so you can never really be sure that the phone is off.

Things like siri and cortana are always listening, so I disabled that on my phone, but you can never really be sure that is switched off either. All features that track movement, like google maps etc, I deleted from my phone. I use an encrypted start page, both computer and mobile, so what I search stays private, or so I hope.

A while ago I had a thought, what better way to catch all the people trying to subvert the status quo, than by offering encryption services, then earmarking everyone that signs up? Once you have the I.P address, its not to far of a stretch to find out who it belongs to. But then I think maybe I'm venturing too far into tinfoil hat town, and have to stop thinking about it. 😆

It astounds me how many people just don't care that they are wearing their own tracking devices, whether its a phone, or things like the apple watch. ....

• Big Bruvver has more important fish to fry than a few hippiesw or the odd talk of revolution or anarchy or weed.......they are monitoring mainly for Daesh/ISIS /trrror threats these days and HUGE drug operations and people smuggling.

Do you have antivirus software?

There are thousands of virus to be scanned for all the time.
    Do you know how your software runs so quickly looking for all those virus?

The answer is "key words" or "phrases".

Looking for patterns, computers are very good at boring work like searching for patterns.

Try sending two emails to a friend in the USA.
    One email to have a selection of trigger keywords the other to have none.
    Time them. You will probably find that the key words gets held up while it is scanned.
    If you have enough of the right triggers the computer will pass your message to a human operator.

For example - 10 million Iphone users, the computer can scan them all for key words, mark 100,000 as "people of interest"
    but only call for human help on fewer than 1000 calls.
    The man power to check the 1000 calls is available.

Isis is a threat YES.

However your ordinary Joe blogs can be targeted with key words if he/she decides to campaign against a governement decision or a coprorate company.

You might not think or regard your self a terrorist but if you are opposing a law that has been introduced or you want to " peacefully campaign" against a company who are making billions of pounds out of something illegal and corrupt then you instantly become a threat to the powers that be.
    You are put on a list as a trouble maker, even if youve only been involved in (a peaceful demo).
    So it is not just big threats like Isis it is the voice of the ordinary people too.

• I was a person of interest for a long time. It's truly not cool. I can't say how I found out but trust me,yeah, security services have big fish to fry, but they are still looking at the minnows!

• That sounds great Poppy, you're definitely on the right track. I wonder though how long it will be possible to disable these tools? There are already sites that won't let you browse them with an adblocker, sure it's possible to get around that restriction but it's a drag & it's not for everyone. Forbes is one such site, ironically they actually served up malware through their adverts for a week.

MS plan to make Cortana the heart of a smart home, at that point it will be listening 24 hours a day to everything you do. I don't think this reality is particularly far away. Again it's convenience over privacy. But the designers of these gadgets have a chance to build privacy & security in from the start, so rather than not buying full stop, just buy those that take notice of customer demands for privacy.

Of course the intelligence agencies will still find a way in. The only way to prevent that in 50 years time will be to live in a cave, deep underground.

• Haha, id live in a cave in a heart beat if it wasn't for all the creepy crawlies wanting to cohabitate :) Id be more up for one of those prefab hobbit houses, with a cute little door so I could shut humanity out.

I do think that its going to become harder and harder to opt in to the technology world without signing away your first born, and at that point, I will definitely be opting out. No mobile, no computer, just me, my man and my pooch, in a cabin, up a hill, surrounded by a big bloody wall, as far away from the UK as I can get, preferably Iceland, under the northern lights :) you can all come and live in my stone age fortress x

• Just use a burner phone haha .. hehehe:reddevil: OR
    PhoneBox haha....BUT WOWWW.....Maybe NOT As jeez have you been in one of late?? ....Well i did ...and Blimmin Couldnt Work The Dang Thing ....Jeez WHY Not Have Just The Slots Put Your Money In And Dial ...Nooooo Not Now You Gotta Press This And That And Then It Still Dont Work ???....THEN
    OOOPS SAW IT WAS CARD ONLY hahahahaha :insane: Silly Meez ...

• Haha, id live in a cave in a heart beat if it wasn't for all the creepy crawlies wanting to cohabitate :) Id be more up for one of those prefab hobbit houses, with a cute little door so I could shut humanity out.

I do think that its going to become harder and harder to opt in to the technology world without signing away your first born, and at that point, I will definitely be opting out. No mobile, no computer, just me, my man and my pooch, in a cabin, up a hill, surrounded by a big bloody wall, as far away from the UK as I can get, preferably Iceland, under the northern lights :) you can all come and live in my stone age fortress x

Now THATS WHAT I CALL A REALLY COOL PLAN hehehe :))

• Rather than searching for vague phrases, do you have any proof that the iphone or other smart phones are listening for some secret signal from big brother?

If this were true & became common knowledge Apple's sales would drop, I can't see them throwing away that kind of market share. Is it only an American big brother or do other countries get to listen in as well, or perhaps the illuminati?

Not completely true. In the disclaimer of the finger print recognition feature, it says that this info will be stored and can be given to third parties. And yet people are so on board with it. Again, I have nothing to hide, but what a way to get everyone's finger prints on file.

• That may be true, though I haven't seen any evidence for it. That article suggests storing a hashed representation of the fingerprint, that's the same way passwords are stored in a non-reversible format & is good practice. In theory they could make a separate copy at the time of registration but again that would just be wild speculation & why would they? They're in business to make money, not to pander to an intelligence agency.

I think bit by bit all of our biometric data will be recorded through legitimate means.

It is dumb to use fingerprints for these kinds of things, you only have one set of fingers, you can't change your prints. And of course if someone really wants the item you have protected they can always steal your finger.