Immobiliser living upto its name!

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Clever me fitted a radio into the trusty convoy, theres loverly all pleased as punch ,got up today turned the key nothing, nada , zip. Fiddled with anything in the vicinity of the back of the radio still nothing , took the radio back out disconnected it still nothing .Went in had a cuppa back out the bugger starts .still none the wiser. Does anyone know how to bypass the immobiliser i want it gone before it plays up

• The only way I know is to join the Transit owners Forum (Yes I know it's a convoy, but it's a transit engine) then go to one of their meets, get a number of them drunk and one of them MAY bypass the immobiliser for you.

The only way I know is to buy a really old Transit before they started fitting the b*st*rd things.

On a historic note: Too many transits were getting nicked so Mr Ford came up with an immobiliser to make the van harder to steal. How effective was it? Well a higher percentage of vans got nicked after they were fitted than before. But it does give the Ford mechanic the perfect opportunity to suck air through his teeth and tell you it's going to cost you.

Others may know of easier ways...

:beard:

• Im reall sorry LowConvoy to hear that youve had this problem. Capitalism sucks.
    When you get the opportunity buy something that doesnt have any electronics like we had to.

• My Convoy has had a immobiliser at some stage in it's life, but was removed by the time I bought it so it can be done. If you have the non-turbo banana engine with no EMS, there can't be much for the immobiliser to immobilise, only the feeds to the starter and fuel shut off solenoids. Have a peek at the wiring diagram to see how the immobiliser connects to the rest of the vehicle.

• Mines a durotorque, which seems to be shrowded in mysteries and magic as regards to immobiliser removal , read things like bypass the yellow relay to grinding bits off and rewiring . at the mo it was just the van throwing a hissy fit at having a new radio put in, but still havnt installed it to the vans requirements .

• Sounds like you are having same probs i had.
    If you do manage to play about with it and succesfully bypass the damn thing. Please pm details of how you did it lol
    That information is priceless.
    Good luck mate i really wish you resolve it soon.

• My Convoy has had a immobiliser at some stage in it's life, but was removed by the time I bought it so it can be done. If you have the non-turbo banana engine with no EMS, there can't be much for the immobiliser to immobilise, only the feeds to the starter and fuel shut off solenoids. Have a peek at the wiring diagram to see how the immobiliser connects to the rest of the vehicle.

Welcome to my pain! There are (allegedly) six black wires which go in to the immobiliser. They do not appear on the wiring diagrams of Ford or Haynes manuals. Easier to join a secret society than find out what they actually do.

Reports of wiring the ignition directly to the pump have been made, but I know of several machines with burned out pumps because they never actually switched off.

I have trawled through the owners forum after my last immobiliser died, but even having removed the pump, it looked nothing like any of them claimed it should.

As for fitting the radio, I went totally away from Mr Fords wiring and laid fresh cable from the secondary battery (my transit has two starter batteries fitted, think it is a bit greedy) through an inline fuse to the radio.

• Oddball thats what im going to do in the morning my own wires for power and earth. I just dont know how the hell they knick these vans with immobilisers I need to find an old school car thief , i'd try anything but as long as its not going to bugger it up.

• Now be careful but i think i can remember when my mate (now deceased) had a garage there was a knack of resetting the imob, it consisited of switching on and off the key either 5 times or ten i cant rmember, then you either left it off or on for so long and it reset itself to factory settings ie imob zero d then re booted to configure with the chip in the key.

DONT do it find out on a forum if this works cas i cannot remember.

Ps have you been turning jey on and off a lot, maybe when you went for brew it re set itself, if its sorted itself it should be ok.

Maybe you shorted something thus loss in power to steering lock imob, so it maybe has re set itself.

• Now be careful but i think i can remember when my mate (now deceased) had a garage there was a knack of resetting the imob,

Tis true, that the central locking device can be programmed in this way.

Problem really is that the chip inside the key has to communicate with the sensor around the ignition barrel.
    This then sends a signal to the fuel pump to allow the fuel in. AND a signal to the engine management box, which queries the pump to be the one registered to the engine.

So if you...
    damage the chip - you are screwed
    damage the sensor around the barrel - you are screwed
    break a wire/interfere with the electrons to the pump - you are screwed
    lose the pump registration details (or change the pump) - you are screwed

The whole system is supposed to be passive, PATS - Passive Anti Theft System, but there is actually a lot that can go wrong, and as Mr Murphy said in his infamous law, it will go wrong at the worst possible time.