Beyond The Van... progress :)

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So, the outside is almost finished now... what do you think?

DSC_0043.JPG

Still more bits to finish off properly.

Passed the Class 4 MOT last week, and DVLA category change submitted.

I will get it weighed again when it's 100% finished. My guess is 4300Kg. Still got 200Kg to play with, best not get any fatter though!!!

I've done a blog post with all the details of the exterior on my site, for anyone interested.

Just need my UKH sticker for the windscreen now :D

The adventures start soon, can't wait :thumbup:

Rich.

• This is what it looks like when it's packed up reasy to roll...

DSC_0044.JPG

Really pleased with how decent the Fiamma cycle carrier is. Two adult bikes on it and it's solid. Holds them so well they are fine left on when the tail lift is opened. Saves a lot of hassle.

Going to fit dead locks to the cab doors too, just to be on the safe side.

Not much more to do now before we can catch that ferry! :D

• How do you find Tooway? Rich.

Really well, now!

For use on a van, the pole the dish bolts to has to be dead vertical. It's also a huge solid dish (80cm) and the Tria (bi-directional LNB, basically) is about 80cm aeay from the dish. As you can imagine, it's a big beast. I'd struggle to mount it on a coach build or panel van, it'd have to be on a large tripod or something. It's ok with the Luton because of the steel frame.

The dish also has to be earthed - literally. Until I had the stabilising legs, I used an earthing pole hammered into the ground. If you don't earth it properly, you will get a tidy zap off your van everytime you touch it, and you'll also fry the Tria. I am on Tria number three now, after learning this lesson.

Powering the modem from an inverter is far from efficient, so instead I have rigged up a stable 12V to 30V circuit which is far better.

Speed wise, if I bother to align the dish 100% then I see close to 22Mbps down and 6Mbps up. When I'm lazy with the dish, or just setting it up for brief usage, I get about 12Mbps down and 6 up.

I've got it now so as long as the van is parked on a level spot and the back points roughly south, I can set it up within about 5 minutes - from parking to google.

Tooway state their dishes are not for automotive use, only for fixed dwellings. Fair enough, though you can adapt it, just don't make them aware of it.

• Yeah that's fine too.
    :pp

Though, weren't you the cook?

Have you considered making them for others? Maybe cutting a few corners of course.

I only cook because I prefer the food to be edible!!!!

I'd love to do another van. I've learnt so much from this one and have loved every minute of building it. The only reason I've not thought more about doing a van for someone else is I figured people do their own to make it their own, but I guess there are other reasons to have a van converted rather than buy coach built. It certainly beats working in IT !!

• Tooway state their dishes are not for automotive use, only for fixed dwellings. Fair enough, though you can adapt it, just don't make them aware of it.

Folding dish mate, folding dish. Easy to build if you don't want it self seeking. rotate the dish by hand for the direction and set the azimuth with a motor.

If the electronics are DC, not sure why there are earth issues.

• Folding dish mate, folding dish. Easy to build if you don't want it self seeking. rotate the dish by hand for the direction and set the azimuth with a motor.

If the electronics are DC, not sure why there are earth issues.

Folding dish isn't likely considering the size of it and the distance between the Tria and dish. If it was a TV satellite dish, I'd agree.

The tria is powered by 48V and earths itself to the dish, which is earthed to a pole, which is earthed to the van. Stand on the ground and touch the van and you get a zap. During the install, you have to handle the dish, so get zapped at that point if it's not earthed.

Would be good if Tooway did create a setup for vans though. Apparently it can't use anything less than an 80cm dish. Which itself weighs about 20Kg.

• Oo my tria is 24v dc, the whole dish with tria is definitely quite a weight, I have to put mine back up as it was trying to tear my ibc water tank apart in the last winds

• So when you stop on unlevel ground you put down the little scaffold feet things to level the van? Wouldn't it be easier to tilt the mounting pole?
    Does it not affect the signal when you move around inside the van? I'm curious how good the pole feet are, I've not seen that before.

Regarding building them, there are a few companies that do that due to many people not having the skills to do it themselves. I don't know how popular it is though due to the sheer amount of time required. You'd have to sell your services cheap to makeit affordable. Worth a thought though if you enjoy it, a hobby that pays for itself.

• Oo my tria is 24v dc, the whole dish with tria is definitely quite a weight, I have to put mine back up as it was trying to tear my ibc water tank apart in the last winds

Is yours Tooway?

So when you stop on unlevel ground you put down the little scaffold feet things to level the van? Wouldn't it be easier to tilt the mounting pole?
    Does it not affect the signal when you move around inside the van? I'm curious how good the pole feet are, I've not seen that before.

I always drop the feet down when we park up, they are literally a pole either side in a jockey wheel clamp. Let them drop to the ground and pinch the clamp up. Stops the van moving completely unless the wind is very strong, then it does rock a little. The feet weren't for the benefit of the satellite initially, I just wanted to stabilise the van in the wind. To start off with, when the wind was strong I'd drop the tail lift to the floor. One night I parked the Defender on the lift when the wind was really bad! Didn't sway then!!!

If I want to use the satellite, I always park on level ground. Tilting the pole isn't an option because the dish has to be so precise with the angle. I swing the dish on the pole to point approx 160 degrees (South East) until it bleeps to say it's in the right direction, then tweak the elevation.

Once the dish is aligned, it can acutally sway a lot without losing signal. When we had those big wind storms recently, not once did I lose satellite signal (that was before it had legs), even the VOIP phone worked perfectly. Walking around in the van definitely wouldn't bother it, even without the legs down.

I don't know why the Tria is so vile with earthing. But I guess it's supposed to be else they wouldn't supply an earthing cable with it?! I'm pretty sure it's 48V unless I misread when researching...

• http://www.support-telecogroup…els/VOYAGER-DIGIMATIC.asp

change the LNB for a compatible iLNB, a dish is a dish is a dish. bigger the better, the iLNB or Tria is the important part.

That's the difficulty, finding a compatible iLNB for use with the Surfbeam II modem. The only thing that seems compatible is the enormous Tria supplied by Tooway, of which comes in 2 versions, each just as bulky as the other.