Food Banks

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• I'm like that; I'm not a massive mobile phone user, handy for emergencies but it's not glued to my ear so I've got a really old (pre smart phone) type thing that does the job; very cheap contract and the same with the internet at home; old laptop, still works so we don't need another, my van's very old! But gets us where we need to go. I'd rather have food, heat and light than gadgets and if I've got a bit spare I'd rather go out somewhere and explore somewhere new than spend it on 'stuff'.

That sounds a lot like us, Gal! Even our (separate units) stereo system comes from the eighties and nineties, and if something fails and can't be repaired we pick up another separate unit for £30 on ebay, if we can't find one cheaper locally, or free.

• I haven't used a food bank myself however I do donate when I can. I must say i did find your comment a little ungrateful however maybe you did not mean it to be that way.

To answer your question yes I do donate Morrison's own items and that purely because I also buy Morrison's own brands for myself. I make fabulous tasty meals and home made desserts for myself, friends and family and work colleagues in the past. I do agree that things such as breakfast cereal don't taste great when you buy supermarket's own brand which is why I personally buy that. However when you have nothing at all and you have to go to a food bank, you should be grateful for what you get. There are few homeless people that I have met who don't have secure shelter, regular food and didn't realise there are food banks out there.

If you don't like what you get from the food bank get creative and make it tasty because I guarantee that someone else would love to have that. Do a bring and share with friends and see what amazing meals you can cook together with more ingredients. Just remember that there is always someone worse off than you. Be positive and grateful for what and who you have in your life.

• I haven't used a food bank myself however I do donate when I can. I must say i did find your comment a little ungrateful however maybe you did not mean it to be that way.

To answer your question yes I do donate Morrison's own items and that purely because I also buy Morrison's own brands for myself. I make fabulous tasty meals and home made desserts for myself, friends and family and work colleagues in the past. I do agree that things such as breakfast cereal don't taste great when you buy supermarket's own brand which is why I personally buy that. However when you have nothing at all and you have to go to a food bank, you should be grateful for what you get. There are few homeless people that I have met who don't have secure shelter, regular food and didn't realise there are food banks out there.

If you don't like what you get from the food bank get creative and make it tasty because I guarantee that someone else would love to have that. Do a bring and share with friends and see what amazing meals you can cook together with more ingredients. Just remember that there is always someone worse off than you. Be positive and grateful for what and who you have in your life.

That was the kindest reply I've read on this thread and I would suggest people donate to food banks rather than knock the people who use them or quote the tabloid press and have opinions who should get help from them, self righteousness stinks people

• what i'd like to know is, what would the people who use the food banks do, if the food banks didn't exist?
    in the 21st century the problem whatever it is seems to always be someone else's job, whatever happened to self reliance?
    I have been unemployed many times but food banks didn't exist back then.

• in the old days people put stuff back "for a rainy day", now they spend it on smart phones and foreign holidays.
    some people need to get their priorities right.

• what i'd like to know is, what would the people who use the food banks do, if the food banks didn't exist?
    in the 21st century the problem whatever it is seems to always be someone else's job, whatever happened to self reliance?
    I have been unemployed many times but food banks didn't exist back then.

Theres a guy i know well who used to shoplift regularly to feed his family when he was out of work and the social didnt want to know. I helped him out with a few quid and some food every now and again as he was too proud to accept it more regularly.

• Theres a guy i know well who used to shoplift regularly to feed his family when he was out of work and the social didnt want to know. I helped him out with a few quid and some food every now and again as he was too proud to accept it more regularly.

too proud to accept it regularly but not too proud to shoplift?? I rest my case.

• I guess (and I'm grateful) that I'm lucky, never had to use a food bank. Been long term unemployed previously and always managed to feed and clothe the family somehow, be it by borrowing from friends and family, picking up a bit of cash in hand work or selling stuff we could do without.
    I'm single now and in full time work, and I'm better off, not wealthy, still have to juggle finances and always after the best deal on everything. Charity shops clothe me and supply my books, I ride a motorbike as cheap form of a to b transport and all my internet/communications are by a second hand smartphone. I'm lucky to live in a flat, the rent I pay includes all my household bills and utilities.
    Gradually paying off debts I incurred while I was ill after my marriage breakdown.
    Often put a few tins in the food bank collection points and more often than not I'm in the habit of giving a few quid to the homeless out on the streets. I know some of them will use it to buy alcohol rather than food, but there for the grace of God go I..........
    I will help anyone out if I'm able, building up a bank of good karma for next time.I fall.

• What case is that? Not wanting to bum off your friends is something i can fully understand. Shoplifting off a massive company like tescos to feed your family is also something i can fully understand.

so stealing is alright??

• too proud to accept it regularly but not too proud to shoplift?? I rest my case.

Hang on, you are speaking about organisations that steal the lifeblood out of town centres; that promote obesity by having sugary coated crap and other associated high salt/fat junk food thrust upon you almost as soon as you come in, yet try to assuage their sins by collecting for diabetes UK and Cancer research. Whereas there fruit and veg remains consigned to an aisle and other than a certain supermarkets recent 'free fruit for kids' lonely little stand, it is rarely subject to promotions, because guess what the farmers didn't brand it, maybe if they did fresh veg would get sexy (I only buy Farmer Browns carrots, because they have REAL mud on them!). The waste from these stores is phenomenal and they screw local producers with their 'offers'.
    Who exactly is doing the stealing here and on what scale.

• theft is theft.
    if you don't like what the supermarkets sell then don't buy it, but don't use that to justify criminality.

• I managed not to steal when I was unemployed, not everyone has to result to criminality.
    it seems some people obey the rules but others are happy to resort to criminality when it suits them

stealing is wrong and nothing can justify it, what is we all did it? where would this so called society be then?
    it seems some people will use any excuse, theft is theft.

• Dont get me wrong, im not saying stealing is right.
    However in some circumstances there is maybe some justification. Maybe your situation wasnt as desperate when you were unemployed, i dont know so cant comment.
    It is obvious that we will never agree on the matter and i respect your opinion, however i also know that it wasnt an easy decision for him to make.

• There has been a lot of mention here about keeping stuff back for a rainy day, stocking larder when in employment etc. How is that supposed to happen when people work for minimum wage, zero hours contract etc. Maybe we should all remember that just because we manage, whether through enough funds, ingenuity or whatever, not everyone is in the same boat or has the same make a meal from jack shit skills. Food banks serve a purpose, end of!

• a society will succeed or fall by those that chose to follow or ignore that societies rules.
    there is no excuse for criminality, none whatsoever.

• There has been a lot of mention here about keeping stuff back for a rainy day, stocking larder when in employment etc. How is that supposed to happen when people work for minimum wage, zero hours contract etc. Maybe we should all remember that just because we manage, whether through enough funds, ingenuity or whatever, not everyone is in the same boat or has the same make a meal from jack shit skills. Food banks serve a purpose, end of!

nobody says you have to stock a larder all in one hit, it can be done a little at a time, a couple of extra tins each time you go shopping, build it up slowly. food banks wont feed someone in perpetuity, its just supposed to help out, 3 days food at a time, 3 times maximum, its hardly going to feed someone long term is it?

• We have been quite poor, living on benefits, I have never felt the need or justification to steal. I think vanman said earlier on, we don't need food banks, that's what iceland's bins are for.
    Also, as I type, we have a whole plastic crate of tins from the bins, from stewed steak to sweetcorn.
    So no, I can't condone shoplifting. Give me two pounds and I can do a pasta and have stuff left over.

Last year I worked out that that after paying rent and tuition fees installments for 3 of the months that I was at Uni I would have £10 for each of the 3 months.
    I taught swimming to help with the income on a small scale and as hagrid said squirreled away cans of food in the months that I had more money, to help keep me fed in the months that there was virtually zilch.
    I only had to approach the discretionary fund when administration ballsed up my rent and demanded a double payment to clear the arrears as they said that March hadn't been paid.

Grim warning if your kid is going into uni tell them always check the rent money for halls has been taken never assume.

• Incidentally, hand on heart - everyone:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fin…h-self-service-tills.html

1 in 5, and we have over 16000 members here as a representative sample of the population, 3200 or so must identify with the shoppers in that article. God knows with '[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Gave up trying to scan something that wouldn’t register – 57 per cent' as the main reason for theft and having stood there desperately trying to scan bits of meat, under 20p bought as a reward for Daisy who FINALLY behaves outside supermarkets and doesn't bark at everyone like they were entering hell (- though she may have had a point), I can see where the 57% were coming from. [/FONT]

• a society will succeed or fall by those that chose to follow or ignore that societies rules.
    there is no excuse for criminality, none whatsoever.

And on this basis our society is falling every morning as people drive to work above the speed limit, take stationery home from there place of work, because it is 'just a pen/envelope', abuse internet/phone privileges at work. etc. etc

Hagrid you judge us harshly. I have just been reminded by my other half that I once 'stole' a large box of washing up powder, simply by walking out of a store.

I am subjugated by guilt.

• Hagrid you judge us harshly. I have just been reminded by my other half that I once 'stole' a large box of washing up powder, simply by walking out of a store.

I am subjugated by guilt.

and I suppose you "forgot" to pay? tut tut

• and I suppose you "forgot" to pay? tut tut

No, the washing powder was in the bottom on the trolley, we both never spotted it. We loaded the internal contents of the trolley through the checkout and simply shoved washing powder out of the store.

We were hurrying home to pick our last dog up from a friend. No alarm bells went off, no one chased us out shouting 'stop thieves!'

It was human error, an accident, we cottoned on to it when we got home.

Yes we could have taken it back. 'Hi sorry about this Morrisons, we walked out with a box of washing powder it was in the bottom of the trolley when everything in the top was put through. We totally didn't notice and we had to go and pick up our dog. Unfortunately he got into the boot with the shopping - it's only a little chewed at the corners.... '

Oh yeah Bill ate 3 sofas in his lifetime, Daisy our current dog would have just gone for the bread.

Christ all mighty we have had scrap meat that won't scan dropped into the basket area by staff! You want to get on your freaking high horse at them too.

Are you so holier than though that you have never driven 1 mile above the speed limit or committed any of the heinous acts I mentioned in a previous post. I am medically unable to drive so please don't try hurling that one back at me.

Thankfully I am human, my husband is human and various supermarket staff are human.

If you for some reason identify with Rowlings half-giant and half-human Hagrid, then even your namesake stole books on dragons from Hogwarts library, when he acquired a dragon's egg - good intentions abound I'm sure.

For f**ks sake get a life and walk a mile before you judge some of the people we have mentioned. We may all have had it bad but everyone is different.

• rules are rules, too many people think they are above them, like speeders and those using hand held mobile phones in cars, good job we don't all feel we are above these things and "it dosent apply to me".
    society functions on everyone obeying the rules, if we didn't it would be anarchy and riots everywhere.

• And by that pearl of wisdom the british police would be over-run arresting every single motorist on most roads, who are just tipping or blindly ignoring the speed limit or committing far worse driving crimes while far more heinous crimes went un-noticed.

Can you honestly say you have never committed a crime of omission? Oh probably not.

Regards your comment about society functioning on obeying rules, society also functions on co-operation between peoples.

History tends to show us what happens when laws are laid down by people who don't appear to think and feel, and expected to be followed mindlessly, by people who do think and feel.

I wonder from your dogmatic approach to laying down the law which category you fall into?

• the category I fall into has a lot to do with thinking for myself and being self reliant-something that has gone out of fashion and is a dirty word thses days.