drinking while parked up...hic

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• So if the law comes a-knocking and you open the bus passenger door...with great difficulty cos you are totally blasted...laughing like an idiot and fumbling the lock, open the door and fall out of it at their feet, grinning like a complete twat....can you be done for being drunk in charge of a parked vehicle? Even if you offer them a tequila slammer and try to kiss their feet and continue to miss because you can see at least six of 'em and keep aiming for the wrong ones??? Hic...

• I have thrown a couple of red wines down my throat on occassion when I have parked up somewhere where I may possibly be asked to move on from. Not to the level of being pissed,but to a level of " oh shit,sorry officers I did not realize that I could not park here,well sorry about about that,I shall move on tomorrow morning when I am safe to drive "

Bizarrely,no one has ever turned up to tell me to move on !!

Makes sense to me though :D

• Sub-optimal i like that! I have on occasion sunk the odd dram/glass/bottle/barrel and then wondered if perhaps I was lining myself up for a slapped wrist or more...

• This one's been discussed elsewhere on this site, the sticking point seems to be "drunk in charge of a vehicle" rather than drink driving. From reading court reports in local papers over the years the drunk in charge seems to be rarely used, possibly because it's difficult to prove. After all I could be rat arsed in my own house, and still be "in charge" of a vehicle if I have access to the keys, which I would have as they would be in the house with me. I'd say if you were tucked up quietly in bed, with the keys nowhere near the cab, you'd be safe enough if the plod came a-knocking in the middle of the night. I have a few beers from time to time when out in the van for that reason.

• Hey, when i was in he van i used to get mighty pished, mainly when we had rfell out or she chucked me oot.
    But that was always well away form everyone else!
    a cooper once told me, if i was out n went back to van aslong as i didnt get in front doors, didnt start engine n looked like i was settled down for the night, ie. Bed made lokking like i was away to sleep, if they turned up n all was ok there would be overnight checks dun. Aslong as i didnt move the van till i was sober i would be ok
    never tested it out

• Sounds about right ^^^^^^^. Time was when they had to actually catch you behind the wheel on a public road driving said mechanical contrivance. I often wondered whether a driving instructor could lose his licence if he was drunk and instructing. And the answer is in the 'in charge of a vehicle' phrase.

• Sounds about right ^^^^^^^. Time was when they had to actually catch you behind the wheel on a public road driving said mechanical contrivance. I often wondered whether a driving instructor could lose his licence if he was drunk and instructing. And the answer is in the 'in charge of a vehicle' phrase.

Being 'drunk in charge' of someone who was 'in charge' IS an offence........My friend way way back when he was a learner drove his brother who was over the limit home...they were pulled, both breathalysered and the driver was OK, but the 'responsible licenced driver' was pissed.......the result? pissed guy lost his licence and my mate got 3 points

• thanks for the link Colin, didn't spot that one...I thought much along the lines described; bed made, sensibly parked up, keys in cupboard....right, party on dudes :thumbup:
    I used to be a driving instructor and remember those days when I'm sure a beer or three would have helped me through the day....

• Symonds Yat is very nice but I am a bit further down river. Many a happy a pint of cider has been quaffed sitting out side the Saracens Head watching the world float by :)

I know it well...good ales, you can keep the cider! Not only do I remember watching the world float (lurch, spin, fall) by but remember doing the floating; kayaked from Monmouth down the Wye towards Chepstow - beautiful country, good pubs. You ever tried The Boat Inn? Wobbled over the iron bridge from Redbrook in my younger days..good memories!

• Boat in is our local , usually has about 20 ciders :) Great pub , Live bands , great beer garden in summer and lovely woodburner chugging away in the winter!

I have to get back there...probably after hopefully trading at the Green Gathering in august if not before. Is the piano still there? The landlord then used to tram the barrels up behind the bar...kept perfect temperature against the rock wall. I suppose that's history now that the wooden barrels and tap have gone - the days of REAL beer kept the way it should...used to sit on the wall out the front...and sometimes fall off it

• I have to get back there...probably after hopefully trading at the Green Gathering in august if not before. Is the piano still there? The landlord then used to tram the barrels up behind the bar...kept perfect temperature against the rock wall. I suppose that's history now that the wooden barrels and tap have gone - the days of REAL beer kept the way it should...used to sit on the wall out the front...and sometimes fall off it

The kegs are all still on the back wall behind the bar, they do food , but judging by theamount people leave its not great.Big do there on the Monmouth Raft race day .

• The kegs are all still on the back wall behind the bar, they do food , but judging by theamount people leave its not great.Big do there on the Monmouth Raft race day .

refreshing; a pub that focuses on the beer and not the food. One of the best for that I remember was the Green Dragon at...Bishops Frome if I recall correctly; fantastic beer back then and if you wanted food you got dried pasty with peas and gloopy gravy to force it down - a rather sour-faced landlord and two good-looking daughters serving (yeah OK a factor...looked better as the evening went on of course) but he kept consistently excellent beers. Inevitably the pub changed hands and in came the restaurant area...never went back. Hope the Saracens is still a good bet...

• What i'd like to know is, can inebriation be used as an excuse not to 'move on' ?

'I'll move as soon as I can, officer, but I've had a drink, and you wouldn't encourage me to break the law would you?'

That would depend if you had parked up without due care and attention. For instance on a highway where a bye-law restricts sleeping in vehicles, carparks, playing fields etc. Knowing you were still in charge of a motor vehicle and drinking beyond a legal limit to move it, if needed.

If you deemed yourself to be too unwell to drive that vehicle any further and made the decision on safety of yourself and others. I would think you could argue that.

They may insist to get someone to move it or tow it away from that area at your cost. Depends if the police want a custy night away from nightclub turn out and a little paperwork.

• What i'd like to know is, can inebriation be used as an excuse not to 'move on' ?

'I'll move as soon as I can, officer, but I've had a drink, and you wouldn't encourage me to break the law would you?'

I believe there was an illegal rave last year , think it was on the South Downs somewhere , where the police decide not to interveine as they didnt want to disperse lots of out of it people , there were a few you tube vids of cyclysts passing through it .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTVhrnDWW9o