Cheapest propane

Welcome to UKHIppy2764@2x.png

UKHippy is a long running online community and of likeminded people exploring all interpretations on what it means to be living an alternative lifestyle -- we welcome discussions on everything related to sustainability, the environment, alternative spirituality, music, festivals, politics and more -- membership of this website is free but supported by the community.

• Hi all
    I got a BP Light 5kg propane gas bottle with my van and to fill it costs £26.99 from Homebase. This time I've just paid that to get set up for leaving next week, but the next time I fill it I don't think I want to be paying £26.99 again....seems too expensive to me. I reckon I'll get myself a bigger bottle for starters, but what's the best one to get and how do I fill it most economically?
    Thanks! :)

• Lpg gas bottle filling adapter
    Bought one of these lately ... haven't had to refill yet though ...

e bay ... 172049921104

• Calor gas centres are about the cheapest, i wouldnt use one of the adapters trev is on about.
    Gas bottles really are not ment to be overfilled, the refillable lpg bottles have a 80% cut out. I also think the refill adapters may be illegal. If i mind right the fill nozel must be permanently attached to the outside of the vehicle to be legally allowed to fill with lpg at a petrol station.

• Hi all
    I got a BP Light 5kg propane gas bottle with my van and to fill it costs £26.99 from Homebase. This time I've just paid that to get set up for leaving next week, but the next time I fill it I don't think I want to be paying £26.99 again....seems too expensive to me. I reckon I'll get myself a bigger bottle for starters, but what's the best one to get and how do I fill it most economically?
    Thanks! :)

Get the largest propane bottle you can fit in yr van, before you do just ring round and ask about different sizes and prices.
    Get out on the car boot sales or ebay to pick up yr first empty cheap, then exchange for full bottle. flo gas seems to be the cheapest propane try to avoid calor as toooooo expensive.

- - - Updated - - -

try garden centers for cheaper prices

• Don't buy too large a bottle. You may save a few quid on gas and not need to refill that often. You will be carrying a lot more weight that will cost you extra fuel and valuable tat weight and space. You will find it will last you months if your not using it for heating.

• According to the heatsource website, my heater will get about 30-40hours from the bottle I've got. I've got my stove hooked up to that bottle as well of course so won't get as long as that on the heater alone. I'm going to be out of the van most of the time so I reckon I might have heating on to take chill off on cold nights, and the odd hot drink and dinner being made on stove (access to hot water in evening anyway so can make hot drinks before I go back to the van). If I put my mind to it, I'll stretch that bottle for a while haha.... ;)

• I use a 7 kg camping gaz bottle which lasts me 6-7 weeks, only use it for cooking on two hobs and occasionally the grill. Refill around £26. A bigger one would be cheaper but would encroach on storage space.

• Right even with the safety cutout its still illegal to fill a gas bottle with lpg unless its filled from outside with a pernamently fixed filler nozzle.
    what happens at a fuel station when you try to fill an illegal canister?
    the person behind the till wont turn the pump on.
    money on a dangerous and illegal bit o crap down the shitter

• bolt one of those autogas cylinders in the chassis, fill with pump LPG.

280 quid for the tank and mount, but you will save 20 quid a time over those 5kg bottles. fully legal too anywhere in europe.

just a reminder to anyone deciding to do this ,make sure you get the right type of tank ie vapour take off

• Post by Trap ().

The post was deleted, no further information is available.
  • Thankfully my Gasit refillable bottle only cost me £11.50ish to fill at Sainsburys. Its lasting a loooong time as well with what I would consider reasonable use. The purchase cost for the refillable bottles and kit is high tho.

• Thankfully my Gasit refillable bottle only cost me £11.50ish to fill at Sainsburys. Its lasting a loooong time as well with what I would consider reasonable use. The purchase cost for the refillable bottles and kit is high tho.

Looked at these kits and when i do my next van i think this is the way to go.

• I can highly recommend GAS-IT as a company to deal with. I bought my complete setup off them and their technical help is brilliant. They have a really good technical you-tube channel too.

My setup is a 55L underslung horizontal kit so I can just pull up at the petrol station and fill up safely and legally.

Those adapters to fill a calor bottle are best avoided, as mentioned previously. You can buy a refillable stand alone cylinder (size of your choice) from GAS-IT though (and they have an accurate float gauge too which is useful!) which just replaces your old cylinder.

AutoGas is usually about 50 ish pence per litre. Your £26.99 will fund several fills!

Rich.

• I use to use calor ,maybe not the cheapeast. but pretty available any where in the uk, whats the point in saving a £1 when you unexpectedly run out , and finding (with a lot of searching ) the nearest stockist is 50 miles away . Maybe use the cheapest if its on your doorstep , and you do not move round, but if you are all over the country , who needs extra inconveinience when they run out . I always had 2 bottles as never anything worse (nearly) than running out of gas halfway through cooking dinner!

• I have switched a couple of my LPG bottles for the light weight type. Makes sense if your transporting in a vehicle and need to carry to and from supplier or out of vehicle on camp. Only problem is if they don't hold a identical exchange full bottle.

If I had to start again. I would go for the gas-it. Often I end up on site with a partially half full, half empty bottle. Much easier to keep it topped up for me, than have the worry of not making it through the next ten days on site.